Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrackleLog View Post
Had a productive day (as well as could be expected). Got some work done, although not as much as I should have. I got a bunch of B complex vitamins and regular multivitamins. Did a half hour on the elliptical machine and am sitting for a bit in an epsom salts bath. Hopefully I don't drop my phone.

Tomorrow my goal is to walk my dog for 20-30 minutes before work and try to substitute decaf for my coffee. I do think that caffeine predisposes me to cravings. I'm sure there's some literature on it somewhere. Blood sugar or something. I like the routine of it in the morning though.

I am thinking about good ways to cultivate a deeper spiritual dimension in my life. It's so much harder to find the time to meditate than it is to watch trashy true crime shows.

It's strange how sending these messages off into the void are actually very helpful. As is reading other people's stories. Keep it up!
Great work! I truly believe the decaf also works in lowering the jittery, anxiety that is left when ones nerves aren't sedated by alcohol. I'm on 7up and water. Great work!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

So, close of day 9. First day at the nursery and got muddy, snow blown in my face and transplanted seedlings for their herb greenhouse. It's still very much winter here so that is my exercise until my new weight bench set shows up and the gravel roads aren't swamps so I can hike around. So fun to read everyone's posts at the end the night. I feel strong now but at any moment I know that can flip the complete other way so I must stay vigilent. Marching on...yes, very cheesy.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jlg76 View Post
So, close of day 9. .
I've been on SR for years and it still kills me that you're going to bed and I'm on the dawn train to work. So cool!

Feel like crap today, worse than a hangover, but seriously proud that I didn't drink last night. It's the first time that I've been sober after work - I just put my head down and walked right past the shop. Wooho! So yeah, this is only day 2 but it's a good one.

Sleep well, Americans. Morning Europeans. And Australians - enjoy what I'll bet is a warmer day than we're having! Xxx
Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
All is Change

"t's so much harder to find the time to meditate than it is to watch trashy true crime shows." - yes indeed. Funnily enough, once started, meditation leads to a more productive day with more time to do things. Maybe something to do with living vicariously is exhausting. Meditation is invigorating.

I recently quit smoking after smoking for the last 17 years. Strange experience. Weird withdrawals. One thing was I started to sleep only about four hours a night so by the third night I figured I'll meditate instead and ended up doing about two and a half hours of anapana for two nights and then then getting up and the next night and last night again I slept six to seven hours and have been doing stuff continuously all day while checking in here every 15 minutes or so and having a meditation tape looping continuously in the background. No TV, I really could not be bothered any more. It's such a waste of time with so much to do.

Cheers.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Peanut butter pretzel gelato!!! I want some.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Peanut butter pretzel gelato!!! I want some.
Talenti! It's delightful. Although I'm completely addicted to their Belgian chocolate.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Evenin' Brits, Celts, Welsh, Scotti from strayla
Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

For me it's sour gummy candy! Something about it is just so delightful! I mean my tongue feels kinda funny now because I ate like three different kinds today, but at least I don't crave alcohol! Lol

Also evening to you too, Phoenix!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I want to be here again but I'm submerged in drink. Drunk on this positive thread of sober people but I've got to speak somewhere. Woke up at 8.00 and got straight into the drink - to wash down my medication, ridiculous.
Tomorrow's the day. New dawn. If I say it now, make a declaration of independence, then it might happen. If you can do me this favour and think how I announced this and how I have to stick to it then it might shame me into action tomorrow.
I don't want replies or anything honestly, really. Just want to say that I'm saying I'll do this so that I know I'll look so pathetic if I drink tomorrow. Got to do it. See you tomorrow and best wishes.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hey Taplow
I love your Declaration of Independence. And I've only been sober one day - I'm pretty much right there with you. Post and post some more xxx
Old 03-07-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Day 17!
So far so good. No cravings whatsoever. Mentally ok - I've had some days with some odd anxiety and depression but I nursed myself through them. I've been kind of hiding out by just working a lot and avoided all (none-work related) social life. Sooner or later I'll have to face that but for now this is fine, I'm not taking any risks, I don't trust myself yet in a situation where friends would be drinking.

Keep going, March comrades, - we can do this!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Morning everyone.
Taplow-Get rid of any booze today. Don't drink it, dump it, so that you will be ready for tomorrow. If you drink all day today tomorrow will feel even worse. Just stay on SR and write your way through it. You can do this.

My favorite these past few months are tootsie pops! Takes a long time to get to the chewy center! Whatever it takes.
For me, exercise and fresh air has been very helpful. I had lots of anxious energy in the beginning and I found that if I just moved (mostly walking and stretching) it made me feel much better.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hello, Marchers.

Three years ago I went looking for an AA meeting and an online forum.

I had had my last drink and my last hangover as it turns out. Landed that morning on my knees - disgusted, frustrated, sick, depressed, angry, alone, malnourished, living in chaos and just sick of it all.

I wanted to let you know that it gets so much better. This first month is uncomfortable, scary, overwhelming, sleepless, jittery, a roller coaster of emotions but next month will be better. And the next and the next.

I leaned on this site heavily in early days. l exercised outdoors. I ate well, watched a lot of Netflix. I did go to AA meetings for a while, but I no longer do. They were helpful in getting me out of the house every day.

I would say stay close to this site. There is a deep well of wisdom here - go back and read old threads. Read the stickies in all the sections, including the Friends and Family of Alcoholics and the Mental Health/Anxiety forums. There is so much collective wisdom here. Buy some recovery books or load some recovery podcasts on your phone. There is so much help available.

Believe you can do it and you will. Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't - you're right.

You're going to love a sober summer. It's delicious.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Deja vu!!!

Hi everyone, well here I am again.... Day 1!
Super frustrated at myself, I managed to stay sober for 3mths, only to give into temptation 2 weeks ago and have been drinking ever since, started of great, thought I was handling it, wasn't long before I was drinking 2-3 bottles of wine a night again, woke up this morning, feeling utterly rubbish!!!! Head splitting, horribly dry mouth and my eyes are so heavy and sore! I literally cannot take this anymore, I some how managed to break my sons computer!!! Which needless to say he was devastated and now I am completely riddled with shame and guilt, I have no memory of even doing it!
I managed to accomplish so much in my sober 3mths and have somehow ruined it all in a space of two weeks.
But I know I need to move on from this otherwise it's going to hold me back on my road to recovery.
Thanks for hearing me out, needed to have a moan..... 😢
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me having fallen off the wagon on Saturday on my 3rd day sober. Feeling stronger this time around. Surprised my head is still fuggy (that's not even a word but it seems to work for how my head feels). Not sleeping and I'm finding the evenings really boring, but trying to hang in there.

Legolady - well done for coming on here. I know all to well the feelings of shame and guilt that come from drinking, particularly when you were making so much great progress. But... you've done it before and you can do it again. All you can do is take it one day at a time from where you are today. Stay strong!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Finally tried AA

Hi everyone
So glad to be here with you all and move forward into more happiness in our lives.

I'm on day 5. I'm an everyday at home alone losing track of amounts kind of drinker for the last 10 years (I'm a 34 yo woman). Two years ago I made it 4.5 months sober, but got back to it with twice the gusto and am now scaring myself enough to try for good.

I just started AA and have to admit it has made the first few days way easier! I haven't said "I'm an alcoholic" yet. That's hard for me right now. I have a lot of fear of the future but I'm also feeling proud of myself this time. I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with you and everyone else here ~ have a good day and remember to take it moment by moment - that's what I've been telling myself
Old 03-07-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Double digits danger

Well, here I am day 10. I am so excited for everyone here, whatever stage you are at. I have attempted the giant life change so many times in the last 10 years. This is the healthiest I've felt about it and I know it's because of this site. It's the one tool I never had in my arsenal of weapons. Granted I have hid away, been spending money like crazy (at least I had some to spend otherwise I would have bought drinks and smokes), and ate a lot, but healthier.

I knew I was getting more extreme when I stopped eating for days at a time. Of course, this fueled my consumption (liquid meals) and my intoxication and my god awful hangovers/digestive failure. I don't think I had one veggie or fruit in three plus weeks before I quit. My nails and hair were brittle, my coloring and skin texture were off and my body ached. I looked as sick as I really was.

Have a great day or evening to everyone regardless of what minute, hour, day, week, month, etc you are on. Keep sharing. I'll keep reading. Every little bit helps.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Slept in because my brain was feeling a bit cotton-y. That passed after I ate some toast. Skipped the coffee and made myself a teeccino latte. It's some kind of uncaffeinated herbal infusion that tastes coffee-esque, but also unique and pleasant when mixed with milk. Something about decaf coffee turns me off. It's always such a disappointment, but I probably just haven't found the right brand. Walked the dog like I wanted to before work, which meant that all told I didn't leave until ten AM. I'm fortunate that I can set my own schedule. But it does mean I'll have to work later to make it up. A lovely morning just like how I wanted.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good evening from Wales, a wet and cold day it was again here in the hills....

Taplow, Stillsleeping, Legolady, stay strong, you can do this

Biminiblue, congrats on 3 years, thats awesome

Jlg, 10 days, absolutely fab u lous

Athomeuk, congrats to 3 days, keep going

Tonggau, 17 days, congratulations

I hope I didn't miss anyone. Great going sobriety

Have a good and sober Wednesday.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome kelle98, bronzie Legolady GoFwdLoveU

Welcome back Taplow - how are you feeling now?

D