Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 03-09-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Desperate For Sobriety

Originally Posted by Autumnlover19 View Post
Hi everyone
I went to my first new counseling session today. It was actually an assessment required by the court but they are setting up an outpatient program for me so I am excited about that. I am in a little bit of legal trouble, not too bad but alcohol involved. I am relieved it wasn't worse could it always could be and will get worse had I continued down that road. This is a blessing in disguise, a wake-up call, and a relatively small price to pay for some much needed help and serenity. I'm happy to be here as well. On the road to recovery. There really is something special about those words. My body and mind have some healing to do.

Be good to yourselves.
AL
Keep us posted on your outpatient program! I'm facing a similar situation soon as a result of my recent DUI arrest. I'm very scared about the real possibility of spending time in jail, as a result. It was my wake up call, too. I just wish I had come to my senses sooner Good luck to you.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Will do, Badgerfan. Good luck to you as well. It sucks that it gets to this point but always remember it will get worse if you pick up again!
We will get through this.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aboard Frank - don't listen to the lies

D
Yes i hate the lies , i start to feel better and start thinking that it wasnt that bad , even though i know its getting worse and worse
Old 03-09-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Marchers,

Let's see, day 13, hour 15, minute 59, seconds 28...29...30...

But hey, who's counting? (Well me, I guess.) The past 13 days-plus have been at once exhilarating and terrifying, short and long, joyful and grim. Just want to add to the shoutouts for SR. Bookmarked awhile ago, been lurking before I quit, and been an avid reader since Day 1 of no drinking.

And thanks to those who joined in March and have posted. I've only had a chance to read the first page of posts so far, but plan on reading all (currently) 13 pages.

Onward, ho!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadgerFan View Post
Day 6 is in the the bank. I fought off some demons after work today. I came scarily close to stopping at the liquor store, but I drove right past it. Feeling really good about it. Keep up the good fight everyone!
Great job BadgerFan kicked your AV awesome
Old 03-09-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
Awesome job! Whenever I am getting close to a liquor store I always start to get so stressed and worked up. I try to think of 100 hundred reasons to justify stopping then I get upset with myself for even considering. Its a whole slew of bad emotions. The funny thing is, the minute I pass it without stopping, this wave of happiness comes over me. Like "YES!! You did it!! F*ing right!!" lol... :-)
Nice punching the air Mandosca
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Howdy folks! Just stopping by from the March 2016 class to say hi! All my best to you on this journey. Take advantage of being part of a class...the growth you will experience together is an awesome thing.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome argillaceous
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers of 2017!
I'm from the March 2013 class and today marks 4 years since my last drink.

That night I got a DUI and thought my life was going into the crapper, as it turns out, that DUI may have saved my life.

I wont say it was easy, especially the first few months, far from it. If not for finding this site and joining up and participating with my class I doubt I would have made it beyond those first few weeks.

Getting sober is not a cure all, everyday will not be perfect, but, when those bad days come you will be able to deal with them much better. I've had to endure my estranged wife's suicide, my brother developing cancer, then dying of a heart attack the day he won an award for his work in his industry. The running away and not returning of 2 dogs. One I got as a present to myself for making 6 months sober, and the other I got as a tribute to my brother and my parents who are all now deceased.

I've also had some great things happen, I left my job that was taking huge advantage of me and moved to a new city. I bought a house and paid off all my debts. I also used some techniques I learned here to quit smoking, next week I will have 1 year tobacco free. None of that could have happened if I were still drinking.

Find a plan that works for you and stick with it. You've gotten a good start by joining a class.

If you get a chance stop by Class of March 2013 and say Hi
Old 03-09-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Thanks Bud
Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadgerFan View Post
Keep us posted on your outpatient program! I'm facing a similar situation soon as a result of my recent DUI arrest. I'm very scared about the real possibility of spending time in jail, as a result. It was my wake up call, too. I just wish I had come to my senses sooner Good luck to you.
I have a coworker/friend that got a DUI last year. For a month he believed his life was over and that he was surely going to jail, was going to be fired, might be kicked out of his house, etc. Luckily(Knock on wood), he ended up getting a fairly easy sentence...Mandatory alcohol counseling, probation, had to pay a fine and the like. Thankfully he also saw it as his wake up call and has since gotten his alcohol addiction under control. I know it's never good to get a DUI but hopefully it ends up working out for you too! And as long as you get something positive out of it, no experience is entirely wasted! Good luck to you!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Sorry for not posting in a couple days! Yesterday was my birthday and I got a bit caught up spending time with friends and family!

I didn't believe it at first, but after the first week I feel way better! Mild cravings for alcohol but they're pretty easy to ignore. Now instead of just feeling depressed about having let my life go, I've actually started trying to tackle it head on...Lots of to-do lists for all the stuff I need to sort through, clean, get rid of, donate, etc. When I have free time this weekend, it's gonna be time for a life overhaul!

How's everyone else doing? Hope everyone's doing good! Without all of you I highly doubt I would have made it this far!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Day 13 is done. I was going to write more but I'm beat. Had to decide to not drink while working at the tavern today. I didn't think why I shouldn't I sit and enjoy one beer after my shift ....I asked myself WHY SHOUTCAST I stay and have a beer? Perfect. Couldn't think of a good reason to stay when I have great cats, boyfriend and home to come home to. Good night.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy belated birthday AmanitaMuscaria
way to go jlg

Hope everyone is gearing up for a great sober weekend

D
Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

So, I'm a March of 2017... Trying my best. 2 AH free days this week, record since probably late December, daily before. Hi all 😃 Thankyou for the inspiration.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Just to say I'm on my 3rd day. For me there's no middle ground with abstinence. It's either ridiculously easy or very nearly impossible. Best wishes to all.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
I'm from the March 2013 class and today marks 4 years since my last drink.
I'm sure you will have lots of people congratulating you today but congratulations on your milestone from me!

I'm not in this class (I'm in the January 2017 class) but your post caught my eye. It's great that you took the time to post some encouragement here. I'm finding it very helpful to see great examples every day on SR of people showing it is possible. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
APT

I am happy to be a part of this class. I never expected to have so much support and advice that relates to me. There are amazing stories on here. I am glad I found a place to just talk to people who can relate to the struggle.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Late Happy Birthday AmanitaMuscaria!

Congrats on 4 years sobriety Bud and thank you for the inspiration

Hello Whendovescry, MrMcTell and APT, it's great to have you here.

Great going Jlg76 and taplow

Wishing you all a good and sober weekend.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Ack. Day 13 has now turned into Day 1.

It was my birthday yesterday, the day I joined and first posted. I had hoped that I could keep AV at a distance, but it is a crafty devil, and started the dialogue early in the day (if not the day before):

"Happy birthday," AV said, "I know you have always thought this was a special day in the year for you to reflect on the coming year for you."

"Yes," I replied. "More than New Year's, this is my time to look forward."

"What a great idea," AV countered, all innocent-like. "I noticed you haven't been drinking. Great for you! But you seem different, somehow."

"Yes, this is a journey I have pursued for many, many (many) years, but this is the only the second time it's taken hold, and the first time I feel like I actually might change my path."

To which the AV replied: "Wonderful! Change is always exciting. But I remember you always liked to have a great meal and a cocktail, and wine, and after-dinner drinks on your birthday. It's too bad you can't do that this year. I noticed how hard you worked the past 13 days." To which I could only reply: "What, AV, 30+ years of progressively-worse drinking is not enough for you?" AV just smiled. And waited.

Tonight, AV won out. I pushed back on it this afternoon with what I've read here over the past week and a half: have a plan. I chose to picture myself asking for water when the waiter asked for drinks, and then focusing on the menu. But in the end I didn't feel like going out. Instead, had a lovely meal at home...complete with a bottle of wine. Plus whatever I could find in the liquor cabinet (had already cleaned out the hard stuff). Found a small amount of low-alcohol specialty-flavored mixer, which I, of course, drank (yuck). Sigh.

But I know from reading here, and from my recent 13 days, that no matter what happens, every day without a drink makes AV smile a little less, and me smile a lot more.

Here's to smiling. And to Day 1. And mostly to SR and its community, which has helped me get this far, and I hope will help me get to a new Day 13 and beyond.