Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me. I must have been harder @ my last bender than I thought. Usually I'm good to go by now. Last night was full of night sweats, nightmares and by the time my alarm went off I had slept soo hard I couldn't wake up. Drinking lots of fluids and hoping to flush this out! I googled the signs of night sweats and alcohol withdrawal. Yikes, it really makes me appreciate what an amazing thing the human body is. Fighting to rid me of this crap for me even while I sleep. Ironically when I woke up from a nightmare I had to make myself get up and walk around just to realize that it was just a dream. I felt so grateful that it wasn't true.

Have a great day all. Let's all appreciate our bodies today as we get this crap out of our systems!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post
That must have been difficult, catlover. There's not a lot we can do theses days without electricity, so it must have been really tempting to have a drink. Well done for resisting.

This is the start of Day 3 for me.

I'm surprised that I've had so few withdrawal symptoms. So far it's only really been stomach cramps. My sleeping is a bit erratic, but better than I expected. No shakes, no chills etc. Considering how much I was drinking, I've been very lucky. Or might all this still be ahead of me?
I've had no physical withdrawal symptoms. Just minor irrationality and some AV-type thoughts. I drank on average a bottle and a half of wine or 7-8 beers a night after work.

ETA: Regarding eating, since fixing my fatty liver involves not only quitting alcohol but also losing 60 pounds, I've been following the Mayo Clinic diet. It's a good guide to healthy eating.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. The longest I've ever had sober was 11 months, and that was last year. I really hope to exceed that this time... or better yet, never drink another drop in my life. I'm hopeful but not confident. Figured it was time to make an account here.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 13 today and checking in.
Have been standing strong, but today woke up with a few cravings, and its a Friday.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello all, I'm on my twentieth day now. It's going really well. Good luck to everyone.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaleya View Post
Day 1 for me. The longest I've ever had sober was 11 months, and that was last year. I really hope to exceed that this time... or better yet, never drink another drop in my life. I'm hopeful but not confident. Figured it was time to make an account here.
If you can do 11 months once, you can do it again, and then take it from there. 11 months seems like a real achievement to me. I'm not looking too far ahead, as I know it would put me off. I'm going to get to Monday, which will be 5 days (Monday night would make it 6), then set another target and take it from there.

It's very early days for me, but I'm already finding the support here really helpful.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, Sue. I can't wait for you (and for me) to get to 5 days! That is an achievement too.

I mentioned feeling unconfident with my abstinence earlier, but for me I think it's helpful to recognize that doubt as my AV talking. I will not be drinking today, tomorrow, or the next day! Not any day. I am done.

We can, and will, do it!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just checking in for day 1 for me (again). I've recently been drinking more than ever and I'm physically falling apart. I'm fully committed this time because this poison is literally killing me!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Kaleya, Frank 14.

Kaleya, 11 months is amazing....you can use that to support your confidence this time. Frank, sober is a hard choice but if there's no alternative.....like you, I've noticed that the drinking accelerates as time goes on. It frightened me.

Eating, food....sit here in the evenings craving chocolate. Didn't have any. Wait!, actually I do.... There's a jar of chocolate chip brownie mix in the kitchen. And, yes...I started on it...straight out of the jar by spoon. True addict behaviour.... just floured sugar with choc chips in it. Feeling slightly sick, I bin the rest of the jar.

Okay....new day dawning. Get up and get into it. Wishing y'all a sober Friday / Saturday

Later
Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is day 6 for me and my first Friday, just staying in keeping calm and eating sweets - feeling better just got too much time on my hands and starting to feel about restless but not wanting a drink every 5 minutes so just going to spend the weekend studying plans and writing my own to focus on the next week or two
Old 02-17-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm sick. And not from drinking. Flu or virus of some sort most likely but odd that it built up slowly as I started feeling so under the weather two days ago. I thought it was just from not drinking but now that I really can't get out of bed I'm certain I'm ill. Never had the flu before, I thought I'd have more cold symptoms. Oh well, called doctor's office and unless I feel like I'm dehydrated or dying I'll be waiting it out. Not fair as I already went through feeling poorly when I quit at the beginning of the month... gahhhh.

It seems like everyone here is doing well, that makes me smile.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome Kaleya and Frank. Are you new too, Kcey? If so welcome, if not, sorry, my memory has not come back yet.
Star, I'm so sorry you're sick. I truly think it's unfair for us to be sick when we haven't had a drink. Wonderful health should be automatically ours, and if I ruled the world, I would make it a law. I hope you feel better fast!
I had some strong drinking thoughts coming home again. So happy I didn't buy beer. I was almost out of gas and didn't want to stop at the store where I always bought my beer, but I had to. I thought it through, how bad it would make me feel tomorrow, and I thought about how wonderful it would feel if I wake up tomorrow having a whole week! of sobriety behind me. And, I said, out loud again, "Nope, not an option." That does me so much good! I'm going to celebrate by playing a computer game, drinking lots of my favorite juice and not doing anything constructive at all.
Happy Friday Night!! Or Saturday to those of you who are already on tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Be Happy, I love the way you are looking at the withdrawal symptoms. I didn't think of it like that. I'm over the worst of it and starting to feel better, though I still have a long way to go.
I hope you sleep better tonight, no nightmares or sweats. Are you drinking lots of water or juice? I think it helps.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good work CanGuy. I've noticed not drinking around some friends can make them uncomfortable, it's nice your friends didn't pressure you or ask a bunch of dumb questions.
This month has been ok so far. 2 hard moments which occurred when...
1. I realized the woman I've been dating is not compatible (earlier in the month)
2. I tweaked my back and am in pain (yesterday)
So, these are triggers. Physical pain and emotional upset. I guess it's pretty straightforward when you break it down like that (lightbulb!)
Anyway, I jumped back onto this forum tonight because a rainy, friday night at the house while in pain seemed like a good time to start making excuses about drinking. Instead, I'm going to ice my back, eat pizza, and go to bed early. I realize that even if it sucks right now, in the morning I'll be very happy about making the right decision. That's kind of it in a nutshell isn't it? Do what will make you happy tomorrow.
Hang in there everyone!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sorry class.... couldn't even make it to day 4....
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Come on back Badger - it's still February. You have to remember that your body hasn't probably fully processed the alcohol from your drinking before. Your brain is screaming to fuel it back up because reserves (cells, fatty tissue, organs, muscles) are getting low. I'm on day three after a 3 day pretty heavy bender. I could still feel the alcohol lingering in my system even this morning. Still clammy, shaky, not clear headed. It's now almost day 4 and on my way home from a basketball game my mind was screaming for it too! The thought of getting alcohol actually entered my mind! WTH? UM NO!

Come back tomorrow and be prepared for the same thing again only don't give in!

I actually looked like I was in the land of the living tonight on day 3. Lol. My son and I came home and ate some pizza, checking in here and onto day 4. Come on guys, let's do this!!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

definitely stick around Badger - maybe refine your recovery plan a little?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

today is a full on day. Ive been doing some very depressing work, dealing with other peoples hurt, anger and fear. Ive got to work all weekend on it.

I turned to the chocolate about lunch time, opened the crisps this afternoon and just had two pints of fizzy water with lime.

Think Ill cook off some sausage rolls. Im gonna feed this dreariness right out of me with comfort food. A food bender won't kill me.

One drink might ruin everything.

hang tough everyone.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Don't give up. Stay with us and keep posting.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Day 4 begins. I've just had cup of tea and cinnamon/raisin toast, which was lovely. It's the first breakfast I've had in ages. No real plans for today. Maybe a bit of knitting and pottering in the kitchen. I'm too tired to think about anything more adventurous.

Don't give up, Badger.