Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Morning everyone - day 5 just starting - very cold here in UK - I live on a boat and marina frozen over. Trying not to think about mulled wine.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 5.
xx
Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me. I am feeling really good. The monster is the weekend. I need to plan this well so that I don't weaken. Maybe some hiking.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by General View Post
Morning everyone - day 5 just starting - very cold here in UK - I live on a boat and marina frozen over. Trying not to think about mulled wine.
I love these alternative living arrangements. I used to live in a caravan. It was a good life however the temptation is always great to sit back in your great surroundings and treat yourself with fine wine. I get that. Stay strong.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me.
Sleep is still an issue but proud of myself this morning. Yesterday some not-so-serious life events might have derailed all this good work but I stuck to my rules.
I have begun to think of this as a journey and am looking forward to see where it leads.
Have a great, sober day team mates.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Another day fiver here. I've got a sore throat, so everytime I swallowed last night I woke up. Was in some sort of lucid dream state. Worrying about my car and finances situation. Ofc, my AV thinks I should just get some whiskey for tonight to get me off to sleep O.o But NO, I shall withstand this trying time. Come to think of it, I'm sure last time I had a few "tests" in the early days too. I've decided to look at the book thread sticky and download one for tonight incase I can't sleep again. Otherthan that I'm still sticking to the plan and eating well, taking my vits and getting fresh air. We will overcome!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Good morning class.
It's nice to think that all around the world we're sharing this journey with a myriad of different issues, successes, problems etc with a common goal of enjoying a sober life again.

It's ALWAYS that one little first drink that gets me. So, really, staying sober is EASY; just don't have one little drink!

I had my first drinking dream last night. (Where you have a dream/nightmare that you are drinking). I know a lot of people don't like them, but the joy of waking up and realising it's just a dream is immensely comforting. I think it helps renew my resolve. Waking up guilt free is a pleasure I must use to help strengthen my sobriety muscles. Don't downplay this feeling Sparkos, remember the awful feelings of guilt, shame and regret that that one little drink ALWAYS leads to.

So into the second week for me feeling cautiously optimistic.

Good luck and strength to you all; my soon to be very good friends!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi. Struggling a bit. On the one hand I want a drink. On the other hand I know that one shot isn't going to do much, so I will end up drinking more and regretting it. Am going to eat something. Probably hungry.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Yes eat something.
You say that one shot wont do much, but it will. It will break the dam and you'll wake up tomorrow or next week or whenever and think "well how did that happen?"
Don't let your AV trick you. You know what you really want, and it definitely isn't drink.
Stay strong Lass.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Thank you Sparkos!

I think I have finally realized my AV. I won't drink as I don't want to throw away the little progress that I have. Will drink some hot tea when I have finished my dinner.

Thanks for the support from SR!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Morning from the freezing UK
Day 5 for me, n not feeling too bad tbh.Have been having some crazy dreams though, and am permanently starving. Woke up today craving camembert! Random Also can't stop peeing, soz if that's TMI! 😀
Anyway am food shopping today, then walking the dogs, one of which is my gorg sbt pup Bonnie, who is keeping me on my toes.
Stay strong 💪 guys xx
Old 01-05-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

OK, thoughts of drinking have passed. Hot Chocolate works wonders!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for the last couple of days and decided to make a post here. I'm in my early twenties. When I compare myself to peers, I don't have the feeling my drinking habits are outrageous, but I like to think ahead. That being said, I do feel I enjoy alcohol just a little bit more than most others (and maybe a bit too much). I don't drink for a particular reason, just to relax and have some fun with friends. I'm going to abstain from alcohol for a month to see how it goes. I thought making a post here would help me achieve this goal. Haven't had a drink since NYE. Great forum by the way!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hey!!! I don't know if anyone is on Instagram/Facebook but there's a page called SoberMovement if anyone wants to look into it. A lot of really inspiring stories!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Morning, class. Good to see some new members join. Welcome! Great support here.

@ NorthernLass. Congrats on smacking down that AV. I bought two boxes of my fave cereal yesterday for a "snack." Beats taking that drink.

@JackDsMissus. Hope you get to feeling better. Colds are no fun. But, at least they aren't self-inflicted like a hangover. All the same, take care of YOU.

Last few days off from work here. So good to wakeup, have some coffee in bed, and not be hung-over. Wene to bed really early last night. Focusing on listening to my body more, and it said "get rest." God, the the abuse I have put my poor body through with drinking. Lack of sleep, crappy eating after a binge....probabaly a very familiar list to everyone here.

But, today is another day forward, and I am intent on building a healthy life, both emotionally and physically.....one step at a time. The only way to eat an elephant really. And, there is definetly one in the room with me.

Good day (or, night) to all. CW.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Day 6 - feeling lousy

I'm not about to drink, but boy do I feel lousy. Any words of encouragement gratefully received today.

Emjay
Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Big urges today. Following my little immediate plan. Drink water, check in, do something. It passes.
Hate when I'm in the grip of it trying to remember that it's just thoughts and not action.
It strikes me that I can still do all the things I fantasise about with a drink in my hand and do it with a non poisonous beverage. Alcohol has no magic, it's just all in my head.
Way to go! I had urges late yesterday afternoon. I went to a walk instead and checked in here to read.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:49 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emjay2017 View Post
I'm not about to drink, but boy do I feel lousy. Any words of encouragement gratefully received today.

Emjay
I read this awhile back and it hit me in and stuck in a very good way. Hope this provides you some strength and encouragement. CW

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” -- Carl Bard
Old 01-05-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Starting day 9.
I have no desires to drink yet. And I'm looking forward to checking in with double digits! This time I am preparing myself for things to do when i get restless from all the excess of energy i will be getting. I think i'll be Spring cleaning early this year. =)
One day at a time.
Have a wonderful day all!!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Circlewagons View Post
I read this awhile back and it hit me in and stuck in a very good way. Hope this provides you some strength and encouragement. CW

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” -- Carl Bard
Thank you for that. I like that :-)