Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good for you sadsadgirl
You can cope with insomnia and sweats and just about anything else that sneaky, tricky ****** can throw at you. It may be unpleasant at times, but every victory against it will go to strengthen your sobriety muscles. Hang in there. You're not alone.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee

I'm not owning being sober. I'm letting myself drink and it's just not good enough.
I'm breaking promises I made to myself.
This ^^^ really hit home for me today.
I will do better.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Home now from a day out and about. Tv remote and tea at the ready!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone~ I would like to join this class please. My first class was June 2015. I have joined many classes since then, and I am hopeful this will be my final one

I am on day 4. Yesterday was really hard with cravings and I almost gave in. At 12:45am this morning I was thinking I could get to the corner gas station in about 2 minutes and buy beer and/or wine before the cutoff. I didn't do it though and I was really grateful to wake up sober this morning. Today has been a better day.

Along with not drinking, I am also working on getting my finances in order and eating healthier. Not drinking should help with both of these as I spent way too much on alcohol and after drinking too much, it was harder to control what I ate. So I am looking forward to this being a good year with lots of changes for the better.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone
Hi emme
Just got up I'm day 6 now. We can do this. God knows how much I have been spending on wine 🙈 and over the past year have put loads of weight on 😔 new year new beginnings
Old 01-06-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
I drank tonight, not a lot but I have to clean. Sorry for letting you all down. Tomorrow is back at Day 1 for what feels like the millionth time. Why can't I get this? Why can't I stay stopped? The fear, shame and guilt are almost too much the handle
You can get this. We all can. Look around here at people with years of soberiety under their belt. They're no different from us. We might fall off the horse but as long as we dust ourselves off and get back on having learnt something. We're gonna do it. We are!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was out sick yesterday - haven't checked back yet but I how everyone's doing well

D
Hope you're feeling better Dee. My cold is in full force today, hoping its the last of it!

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone~ I would like to join this class please. My first class was June 2015. I have joined many classes since then, and I am hopeful this will be my final one

I am on day 4. Yesterday was really hard with cravings and I almost gave in. At 12:45am this morning I was thinking I could get to the corner gas station in about 2 minutes and buy beer and/or wine before the cutoff. I didn't do it though and I was really grateful to wake up sober this morning. Today has been a better day.

Along with not drinking, I am also working on getting my finances in order and eating healthier. Not drinking should help with both of these as I spent way too much on alcohol and after drinking too much, it was harder to control what I ate. So I am looking forward to this being a good year with lots of changes for the better.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone
Omg are you me? I could have wrote this lol. My class was jan 15 I think and there's some folks still here from that class. Felt so bad when I returned with my tail between my legs but everyone is so welcoming. I'm with you on the finances and eating healthier 100%. I've put so much weight on over the years drinking :S We can do this. Let's keep posting

/////

Day SIX. Took a few hours to get to sleep even with the flu tablets but I did manage around 6 hours once I nodded off. It's in full force today though, coughing, sneezing and moving around like a little old woman. But HEY, I'm sober! Have to take down my xmas decorations today, if it was up to me I'd leave them up all year. Going to miss the lights especially, they cheer me up so much. Anyway, that should keep me busy and my mind off the fact that I'd usually be drinking tonight. Hope everyone is doing good. x
Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Day 7. Despite having a cold I'm feeling better today than previous days which have been pretty miserable (due to coming off alcohol, not due to the cold). I'm sure today will have its ups and downs, but I won't drink today.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Day one today. I'm concentrating on going easy on myself today and not isolating in my shame and fear. I'm catching up with a sober friend this afternoon. I'm going to read around here about recovery plans and formulate mine. Exercise should be key in my recovery but I'm a smoker-I use that excuse to stop me running-silly isn't it? Staying close to this site will also be key-reading here keeps me remaining calm.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Well done on getting back on the wagon sadsadgirl!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone from the North East of Scotland,
Starting Day 6 here .....
Just taken car to the garage and walked home (about a mile). Got the cold from hell ..... head & body feels like it's going to explode (not sure if that's lack of red wine, taking Sertraline, the cold or because I've just walked a mile.....maybe a bit of everything).
Does anyone else's liver area feel painful ? .... mine feels swollen....
Our poor bodies don't half get hammered by booze .....
Wish I could find a way to keep the positive determined attitude I have just now ....
xxxxx
Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Morning shenzy
I'm day 6..........UK midlands
My head feels weird/fuzzy im on sertraline too but think it's prob just withdrawal symptom don't know
Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me also today. So far, so good, with my new routine. I finally had some sleep last night after so much insomnia. Best of luck to all the classmates today.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Day 6 - definitely feel better today - my first good day, really :-)

Sparkos - yes, living on a boat is good - been here 2.5 years but, having said that, I'm moving in with my fiancée tomorrow so I'll be back in a house. Not sure if I'll miss boat or not - boat is lovely, traditional and cosy but can be lonely - marina is rural and winter nights are long!

Funny, I'd been sober 3.5 years but started drinking after 6 months on boat - I'm sure the isolation and loneliness had something to do with it. Plus, I moved onto boat after getting divorced - ex and I both heavy drinkers - I stopped and she didn't - couldn't put up with her drinking once I was sober!
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Thanks, Doggo - I did sleep very well after the snack and cocoa.

Don't know about anyone else, but I find organic cocoa very comforting when the cravings hit. Here in UK we have a kind of powdered cream called 'Coffee mate' - it's actually better than real cream and keeps for ages. One teaspoon cocoa, 1.5 tsp. of coffee mate, add boiling water, is a craving-busting combination for me.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Woke up blissfully on day 6! From some of my previous runs at sobriety, I know full well that this is the "pink cloud" stage. I have to be very careful here.

After waking, I had a delicious cup of coffee, ate some healthy cereal (not the sugary stuff my kids eat), and sat in the reading room listening to some pleasant music for a while. Now I'm checking in at SR as part of my new daily routine.

In order to keep from relapsing this weekend, I will be in the "Sober Weekenders" thread on a regular basis, in addition to other non-drinking activities that will keep my mind occupied.

Wishing you all peace and sobriety today.

ABW1
Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by General View Post
Thanks, Doggo - I did sleep very well after the snack and cocoa.

Don't know about anyone else, but I find organic cocoa very comforting when the cravings hit. Here in UK we have a kind of powdered cream called 'Coffee mate' - it's actually better than real cream and keeps for ages. One teaspoon cocoa, 1.5 tsp. of coffee mate, add boiling water, is a craving-busting combination for me.
General thanks for that tip. Will pop sainsbury's later to get some to try ☺
Old 01-06-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Welcome sadsadgirl. Way to hop back on the sobriety horse. This is a very supportive group on here. Welcome, as well, emme99 and cara39!!

Morning of day 6 here. Snow flurries and cold. Sleep was restless with some completely bizarre and vivid dreams involving a few exe's of the past. I will take 6 hours at this point, though. Started readed This Naked Mind, and I like it so far.

Hope everyone has a safe and sober day. I have my seat on the weekender thread too, and plan to check in here often! CW
Old 01-06-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
Morning shenzy
I'm day 6..........UK midlands
My head feels weird/fuzzy im on sertraline too but think it's prob just withdrawal symptom don't know
Hiya Pinky
How much sertraline are you taking, (if you don't mind me asking), I'm on 50 mgs.
Do you find drinking really reduces the good that sertraline does ? I feel like I'm back at square 1 with sertraline again (since stopping alcohol).....
xxx
Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Checking in. Was with some friends yesterday, they all had a few beers and I had some tea . I had a great time. Day 6 now, curious about the weekend, I think that will be the toughest time for me personally.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Day 6 and I feel great. Finally had a decent sleep and am up early. I haven't woke up this early naturally and without a hangover in years. So this is what the land of the living feels like....pretty damn good!! This is my first weekend so will be checking in regularly Hope you all have a great day
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Msco View Post
Checking in. Was with some friends yesterday, they all had a few beers and I had some tea . I had a great time. Day 6 now, curious about the weekend, I think that will be the toughest time for me personally.
Good job Msco! And good job on Day 6! I think the weekend may be hard too, I know I'm definitely going to go home and take an Epsom salt bath this evening. Think we should make a plan for the weekend. That should help =)