Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 11-13-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

Sorry I haven't checked in for more than a week but I felt like I needed a short break from the Internet.

Today is day 25 for me. The 3rd week has been much better, I was finally able to get stuff done and manage my everyday life again. My moods have been much more stable and I sleep better and feel much more energetic than I did for ages. I start to feel more confident about my decision to quit drinking. The AV, the cravings, the rationalising and doubting my addiction is becoming weaker and weaker. I start enjoying sobriety. It's such a nice feeling. I am so grateful I managed to get this far and especially grateful for all the lovely support I experienced on here.

On Saturday I went to my first ever AA meeting. My boyfriend joined me. I wasn't sure about going and not sure about having him joining me but it turned out to be really nice to go together and I felt good about it.

The meeting itself was pretty strange to me (according to my boyfriend it was a rather normal and not-so-crazy meeting though). I can't relate to the spiritual parts at all, like the prayers. Even replacing God with the universe or life itself or any other HP doesn't make much sense to me. I think unfortunately I'm just not wired that way.

And a lot of the stuff the others shared, I couldn't relate to. Most of them seemed to drink for very different reasons than I did. But I will go to some other meetings before deciding whether AA is for me or not.

One thing I didn't like was how one person said something like "one thing ALL alcoholics have in common, is that we can't stop after just 1-2 drinks". That isn't the case for me cause I rarely had more than 2 drinks in one go. I mean maybe I get this all wrong how it's meant. But I would've usually had 1-2 drinks, three times a day, every day. So after reaching my level I didn't feel the need to keep on drinking until the effects started to wear off. Then I drank again.

Now I know I'm an alcoholic anyway. But a week or two ago a statement like that person made, would've made me doubt my addiction and my AV would've happily chirped "well, if that's the case and this can't-stop-after-1-2-drinks doesn't apply to you, you can't be an alcoholic, go on and have a drink, it's safe, you can do it!" Now I can handle it though. So I'm glad I didn't go earlier.

I didn't have the time to fully catch up on this thread but congrats to all of you who stayed sober today and "hello" to all the new classmates
Old 11-13-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Steely, congratulations on two weeks!! That's as awesome as a laughing kookaburra!!

Maggie!! So glad you came! Well done! Post post post, no matter what you're feeling posting is a good idea. There will be someone out there with something to give you, even if it's only the feeling that you are not alone.

Congrats to everyone who's sober today, best wishes to everyone especially those just starting out, whether it's the first time or the hundreth.

I have been a bit down about how tired I feel and low and behold someone posted a thread about being exhausted and now, though I still feel like crap, I know that it's normal and not that there is something seriously wrong with me (except of course the fact that I spent 20 years abusing my mind and body). So now I have to help my body out more than just not drinking. I need to stop drinking so much coffee, remember to put food in my belly and don't feel guilty about having to take a nap if its needed.
SR really is a great place.
Thanks everyone!!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Hope you are hanging in there kaily
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Another mother...... Applecat! I'm standing with all the mothers, I really admire you all. Motherhood and stopping drinking......you are legends.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hi Blackbird.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hi Blackbird.
Hey steely how ya doing tonight?
Old 11-13-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Mothers club hug!
Old 11-13-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Motherhood and sobriety....there's so much out there nowadays that is completely against that. Wine and yoga pants. Wine and "book clubs". Wine wine wine. Blah blah blah.

We are all facing something hard. Toddler tantrums. Family hardships. Insane workplace situations. Other sickness.

That's why I want to stop now. There will always be something!!

But yes, if my children would sleep, I think there are many facets of my life I think would be easier and healthier lol.

Have a peaceful night, class! Big hugs.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

I'm doing OK Applekat. Getting some stuff done around the house and the horror angst following my relapse is abating. I never want to return to that way of being, I seriously cannot do it anymore, I want to live, I really do.

Been seeing myself as *undeserving* just about all my life, and now it's time to change. I'm taking it with both hands hands. It's the gift I've always wanted.

Thanks for congrats Mira, two weeks is sorta *milestoney*, hey? I've been sending your Kookaburra (laughing)video to other friends, it really does cheer a person up, and smile every time I listen.

How are you doing Kailey?

* I have been looking out for Soberwolf and can't see him anywhere. Does anyone know where he is, and if he's OK?
Old 11-13-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Wine and yoga pants

You are so right Applekat in everything you say.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Administrator

He's fine Steely - he's taking an SR break

D
Old 11-13-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Closing out day 2, which was rougher than day 1, but I got a lot of (overdue) fall yardwork out of the way. I'm in for insomnia, as usual in the early days. I get a few hours of sleep early, but by midnight I might be up for the next day. It sucks, but it gets better. I used alcohol to sleep most every night. And if it wore off, well there was always more. Your body doesn't like it when you take it away, but you can get through it.

Welcome to our new November members, Kaily, Maggie, cornpone and anyone I might have missed. Please take care. If it gets bad, please see a doctor.

Congrats on 2 weeks, Steely. Keep up the good work.

Have a great day/night everyone. Keep it sober.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Thanks Pelagic and hope you get some shut eye. We'll get there, hey? I'm a true believer
Old 11-13-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee for letting me know about Soberwolf.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hi Steely, and everyone else

It was not a great weekend, yesterday I spent the day at the animal hospital with my brother & sister in law and we lost my "niece" bulldog Marley. She was in a lot of pain and having trouble breathing, so they made the decision to end her suffering. They made the right decision, but it is still hard. She was loved and will be missed ♥

I did not get through it without drinking. One of the things they talked about at one of my SMART meetings is you can't always control what happens to you, but you can control how you react to it. I try to think about this as much as possible, but I failed this time. I really, really want to be sober, and I will try again. I am sorry for failing everyone, but please don't give up on me. I will get it one of these days, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Have a good new week everyone
Old 11-13-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Been painting all afternoon- I learn about stuff that way. Thoughts and prayers to you all. Keep posting.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hi all and thanks for the support. I didn't drink but am obsessing about it already at 7am

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Please don't ... Remember HALT when you think you need a drink.
Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired? .... Maybe so especially .. Late
night.

You will be so much happier in the morning!
I am Angry because I am so very Lonely and alone in life.

emma99 So sorry to hear about the loss of your family dog, sad times. Unfortunately when things like this happen our crazy mixed up thinking "allows" us to think its ok to drink.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Emme you know that no one here will give up on you.

I think you've got to get into the space in which you know it's gonna be hard it may in fact be awful for a while but make the decision to go through the darkness without numbing yourself.

It's **** I know but you CAN do it!

Keep going!
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cornpone, Maggie and Kaily

some great support here guys

D
Old 11-13-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Kaily well done for not drinking!

I am very alone in life too. But can I ask who or what are you angry at?