Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 11-18-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi Trees 39 congrats on Day 3.

I underestimated the cumulative nature too. Glad you are coming back to life.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:08 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Day 2.... Off to work... I need to eat something and pronto ... 1 hour isn't enough sleep but I've had worse in my first attempts I think awake for over 48 hours was my worst. Send strength 🤓
Old 11-18-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Morning friends!
So glad it's Friday! This was a long week and today is going to be hectic with work from home, a Thanksgiving lunch with my 5 year old at preschool and then marriage counseling. DH and I have been doing well since we started therapy but then we had 2 really bad fights this last week so I'm not sure what is going on. There is so much to address and talk about and I really need to find some individual counseling for myself. We are also starting play therapy for our older son (5) who is struggling with anxiety. I hate to see so many issue in our household and can't help but blame myself for not being a good enough mother or wife- maybe if he didn't see us fighting so much he wouldn't be so stressed out (he's too little to be stressed, it makes me so sad.)

Today is day 5 and I'm feeling great- been working out, did some Yoga the other day and it's 5:11 am now and I will be hitting the home gym around 5:30. I am also on my low carb diet and curious to see how long I will last. I've been doing tons of research on a ketogenic diet and while I've done them in the past, it's never been for more than 3 weeks. I would like to see if it takes away some of my health issues (eczema, mood issues, food issues). So far my appetite is gone and I haven't been thinking about food at ALL which is rare. I often wonder how many of my alcohol cravings are due to the carb cravings I have suffered with for year- probably due to being a binge eater and bulmic in the past. Anyway, I am ready to leave that past behind and be a better me.

Wishing you well on your Friday, whether it's day 1 or day 18.
Much love to all of you- wish I could chime in more often, I need to figure out how to get the app to work!
Old 11-18-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Old 11-18-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Greetings to one and all. It's been a long time since I posted in these fora.

I quit the booze in 2012, but relapsed in early 2014 at a family wedding. Only had a couple of drinks, but as you all know, it's a slippery slope. So today I find myself back where I was prior to 2012. Unable to just have the one drink and feeling the negative effects for several days later.

So now I have taken the decision that enough is enough. Perhaps a little late, given that I am in my late 60's, but better late than never. So with that in mind, I would like to join you happy band of travellers on this journey.

As a contribution to the Class, I would like to recommend a book that helped me enormously when I quit in 2012. It's entitled 'Kick the Drink......Easily!' by Jason Vale. It's still available in print, e-book format and audiobook from a well known on-line store (A****n), and is well worth a read. Some of you may well have read it already.

I wish you all the very best in your endeavours, and hope to report my progress periodically, and perhaps provide support along the way.

Last edited by SollytheGolly; 11-18-2016 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-18-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Solly.

D
Old 11-18-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by K66 View Post
Day 2.... Off to work... I need to eat something and pronto ... 1 hour isn't enough sleep but I've had worse in my first attempts I think awake for over 48 hours was my worst. Send strength 🤓
I am so sorry- I truly hope you can find some relief and rest soon
Old 11-18-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hi Solly- nice to meet you
Old 11-18-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hello Solly.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Day 4- I've done so many day 4's that I'm beyond feeling proud of myself -I'm just on the merry-go-round again! lol
Friday nights are always tough-the start of the weekend. It usually means I just drink EVEN more than every other night.. What a yucky cycle.

Plans for this weekend- De-clutter my house, do some of the chores that I don't do when I'm permanently drunk!!! Spend QUALITY time with my boys.... xx
Nic, every Day 4 is worth a little pat on the back. Do you have a specific plan for tonight? That should help keep you focused for Day 5!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LowSpark View Post
Today I reached a milestone. I've been without cold barley soup for 30 days! It has been nice to be sober this long. Everyone, keep up the good work. One day at a time.
Congratulations, LowSpark!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
Hello you fabulous Novies!

I always look forward to this time of year. This is the fourth time I've had the privilege of addressing the November group.

4 years ago today, I was broken, scared and terrified of the future. I joined SR and logged onto the November 2012 group, full of false bravado, mostly to cover just how scared I was really was.

It seems like a life time ago. I drank for 18 years, often by myself, and always to the detriment of those around me. On November 10 of that year I was lucky enough to hit a bottom so hard that booze wasn't able to soothe my fear and anxiety. All I was left with was pain. So my two choices left were sobriety or suicide. Honestly didn't which one was scarier.

But I put one foot in front of the other, took life one day at time, or hour at a time if needed to and four years later I'm living a life I never thought possible.

The reason why I like to make this address every year to the Novies is because I was where you are now. I didn't think there was any hope for me, but there was. Sobriety and happiness is out there and possible for everyone.

Best of luck on your journey guys, I'll be rooting for you every step of the way.
Thank you Nomis! Congratulations on 4 years of sobriety and for giving us some much needed encouragement!

Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
hi all, day 3. its been awful but I'm starting to come back to life and joy slowly

i underestimted the cumulative nature of this thing. I just was feeling depressed all the time with bouts of out of control behaviour.
Gotta put it behind me, I worthy of more.
Yes, Trees, you ARE worthy of more. With each passing day, your body is healing a bit more. You may not see it on a day to day basis, but even if you look back at Day 1, I'm sure you will agree that today is better!

Hang in there.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Solly. This is a great class, lots of support!

Welcome to Trees39 as well. Yup, the cumulative nature is unnerving, scary. I look back and ask myself: Did it sneak up on me or did I just let it happen? Some of both I guess.

K66, another day or two and things should settle down. You can do this.

Thanks for being here Nomis. As I continue this journey I realize how important and inspiring stories like yours really are. Thanks!

I'm starting day 7 and feeling steady. I like it.

Enjoy another sober day Nobenders one and all.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SollytheGolly View Post
Greetings to one and all. It's been a long time since I posted in these fora.

I quit the booze in 2012, but relapsed in early 2014 at a family wedding. Only had a couple of drinks, but as you all know, it's a slippery slope. So today I find myself back where I was prior to 2012. Unable to just have the one drink and feeling the negative effects for several days later.

So now I have taken the decision that enough is enough. Perhaps a little late, given that I am in my late 60's, but better late than never. So with that in mind, I would like to join you happy band of travellers on this journey.

As a contribution to the Class, I would like to recommend a book that helped me enormously when I quit in 2012. It's entitled 'Kick the Drink......Easily!' by Jason Vale. It's still available in print, e-book format and audiobook from a well known on-line store (A****n), and is well worth a read. Some of you may well have read it already.

I wish you all the very best in your endeavours, and hope to report my progress periodically, and perhaps provide support along the way.
Welcome Solley! Please check in regularly if you can. I know being accountable to my SR family is so helpful in my recovery.
Stick with us!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
D