SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/400266-class-november-2016-support-thread-part-2-a.html)

Dee74 11-11-2016 04:49 AM

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...thread-20.html

D

Dee74 11-11-2016 04:54 AM

Politics

Ok guys - from this post on, we're gonna run this thread the same as I've run other recent threads.

For this thread I'd ask everyone to mention election results/politics strictly and only in the context of recovery and recovery support.

This is a newcomers forum and recovery is our focus.

This is our rule

Originally Posted by Rule 2
No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose

There are plenty of other places to argue politics.

If you find other posts irksome you can report those posts if they
break a rule, or use the ignore function.

Lets please all get back to a focus on recovery. That's something we all have in common :)

Thanks,

Dee
SR

Applekat 11-11-2016 04:57 AM

Shotgun!

Good morning! Day 3. Can't wait for the days to build (again).

Hope you all have a peaceful Veteran's Day. Don't forget to put a Friday plan in place. Working on mine...

MidnightRider 11-11-2016 05:10 AM

Good Day All !

Finally Friday...

Tonight I'm taking my son to a College Basketball game.
It will be fun to have an evening with him!

Not gonna drink today or tonight... That's for sure!

NewBeginning16 11-11-2016 05:17 AM

I made it another day. :) I had a hard day yesterday only because I couldn't stop reading stuff on the media, facebook, etc. I thought once the election was over, all the hate would stop - and it hasn't. My heart just hurts. The plan is to stay off today and try and equalize my emotions.

Anyway, today is my birthday and I plan on celebrating sober!!

MidnightRider 11-11-2016 05:23 AM

Happy Birthday! NewBeginning16

Good on you to stop reading Facebook etc.

I've pretty much been staying off FB for months now ...
It's just not how I wanna view "the world" right now.

Have a great day!!!

emme99 11-11-2016 05:31 AM

Happy Birthday NewBeginning :)

PhoenixJ 11-11-2016 06:02 AM

the world is still turning

MICAH87 11-11-2016 06:07 AM

Happy Birthday Newbeginning have a happy sober day

beerbgone 11-11-2016 06:16 AM

Happy birthday Newbeginning. Have a wonderful and sober day!

Illuminate 11-11-2016 06:24 AM

Day 4 here. I plan to go to an AA meeting at a local church tonight, a meeting that I've heard is quite popular and gets a big turnout. A good way to avoid drinking and to combat the lonely and sad feelings I'm having right now. I really messed things up with my girlfriend and I hate myself for it. I'm not letting myself try to fix it until I feel more confident about my sobriety.

bblackbirdflyy 11-11-2016 06:27 AM

Happiest of birthdays to you NB!

Hi applekat!

On my 44th sober night I had the dreaded drinking dream. Felt like a crashing wave of disappointment and sadness, but receded into relief.

Wedding tomorrow. Any advice on a plan? ... other than the obvious and practical "don't go". ;)

Applekat 11-11-2016 06:41 AM

Hey BBF! Have a non alcoholic drink of choice decided upon for the weddding. Don't stay too long. Remind yourself that you GET to enjoy the wedding sober and wake up the next morning feeling breezy and light. :) And lastly, have plans for the following days. I can make it through big events but occasionally crash after - the old "I did it, reward."

MidnightRider 11-11-2016 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy (Post 6204837)
Happiest of birthdays to you NB!

Hi applekat!

Wedding tomorrow. Any advice on a plan? ... other than the obvious and practical "don't go". ;)

Went to a wedding in Sept.

PLAN PLAN PLAN ....

First off... I didn't arrive too early for the party. Give things time to get going . . I sat in the parking lot for a while prior to going in... So I was psyched up to go in with my plan.

Drink of choice - Soda Water with a Lime and I told the bar tender to put it in a "Drink" glass. Because some places put soft drinks in a tall or water glass. This did happen the first drink I ordered.... SOmeone did ask me "what I was drinking"? I said just a soda for now.

But the rest of night .. The question NEVER came up "why I am not drinking". No one cared!!!

I ALWAYS had a drink in my hand (Soda and lime) ... This keeps someone from coming up and saying. Hey lets get a drink or hey do you want me to get you a drink.

I ended up staying for the whole thing and even danced (which I never do).

Good luck.

shell77 11-11-2016 08:02 AM

Have fun at the game with your son tonight MR. my son loves going to college basketball games!!

I have to take a break off social media, NewBrginning. I think it's a great plan. Happy Happy Sober Birthday to you! ��

Another weekend in front of all of us. I'm not going to drink today! I am on day 7 and finally feeling a little fog has lifted. I am going to try and post more. I am hear reading and cheering each and everyone of you on.

shell77 11-11-2016 08:07 AM

I like MidnightRider's advice on ordering a club Soda and lime but making sure they put in a drink glass. That is actually in my plan if I end up in a situation like a wedding. I think it's best so people won't keep asking you if you want a drink. Good luck at the wedding bblackbirdflyy and have fun!

CaseyW 11-11-2016 08:07 AM

Day 6 here.

I work this evening. It's cold and wet and miserable outside right now. I'm trying to make myself get dressed and head to the store as I'm somehow out of coffee and toilet paper. I don't know which is more important.

Hope you're doing OK today, Stubbs16.

I'm right with you on never wanting to live that cycle of day one after day one again, Miramira. Stick close and keep up that honesty I'm seeing in your posts and I'm sure you'll be amazed at the results. (And now I've read your subsequent posts for the day: Thank you thank you thank you so much for doing the right thing and getting in here and talking your way through those cravings. It's an example we all need to follow.)

Wishing you another sober day, Purplrks.

Don't beat yourself up about the potato chips and cookies, etc., MidnightRider. I'm giving myself a little pass on that kind of stuff these first few weeks--putting my sobriety first and those other concerns second. I don't want to become dependent on rewarding myself with junk food for not drinking, but I also need to remember that just not drinking is a pretty big step in these early days. There's a happy medium in there somewhere. Enjoy your game tonight!

Glad you decided to join in, LowSpark! Congrats on 3+ plus weeks of sobriety. Hope you'll make this class a regular part of your recovery. We're stronger together!

Sorry you decided to drink, emme, but glad you're right back here. Make this a slip, not a fall. Hope you'll give us or someone at a recovery meeting a chance to help you next time those cravings come. You're not in this alone.

Glad you had a nice day with your sisters, Steely.

Good job planning ahead, Micah87. Remember that SR is here 24/7 as well. You're not in this alone. I'm not going to all-caps your name anymore, feels like I'm yelling. Hope that's OK.

The days are already building, Applekat. 3 is one more than 2. And tomorrow 4 will be one more than 3. This is how you built them before and how you're going to build them again--one day at a time. It's how we're all doing it. (And you didn't really get shotgun, by the way. Dee got his own shotgun. He's taking up the whole front seat this thread. Sorry to be such a stickler about the rules of shotgun but it's very important to me.)

I had over 200 days sober earlier this year, NewBeginning16, and one of the best decisions I made at the start of that time was to delete my Facebook. It made putting my sobriety first much easier. Have a wonderful birthday!

Good morning, beerbgone! How are you doing?

Congrats on day 4, Illuminate! Sounds like you've got a solid plan for today. Hang in there and keep doing the next right thing and I'm sure that good things will happen in your life.

44 is an awesome number, bblackbirdflyy! Best advice I have is if you are going, take your own vehicle and give yourself permission to leave at the very first sign of trouble from your addiction. Put your recovery first. At the reception, have a non-alcoholic beverage in your hands as much as possible. And just always remember you don't drink anymore. You're on to a new, better way of life. Check in here as often as possible and let us know how it's going please!

One week today, shell77!!! Congratulations! Glad you're going to stick close to SR this weekend. I'm going to do the same.

Whew, that was long. Hope I didn't miss anyone who posted since I last did. If I did, forgive me. It wasn't intentional.

If you haven't checked in yet today, hope you'll do so soon. Stay accountable! Our addiction likes for us to run away and hide. Don't let it boss you around.

Remember that you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what. A drink is not the answer. Don't drink if you're sad. Don't drink if you're angry. Don't drink if you're happy. Don't drink if you're jealous. Don't drink if you get the best news in the world. Don't drink if you wreck your car. Don't drink if you're hungry. Don't drink if you're bored. Don't drink. Period.

Pelagic263 11-11-2016 08:52 AM

Another March 2016 class member here. I'd like to join the November class. I guess it's good to see my fellow Marchers here but I sure wish we could meet in different circumstances.

This has been, since March, my first real effort to stop, and it started out great (41 days) but since then it's been 19 days then 12 days then 5-7 days at a time, and then about a month ago the floodgates opened. It's been a little surreal, no details necessary but it's been really weird. Each time it came back it had a bigger hammer. It's a sledge hammer now and oh my goodness it means business.

So I'm tapering (blood pressure problems sort of demand a taper) and I'm coming back to SR.

Kindling is for real so to all the newly sober please take this very seriously. The size of the hammer only gets bigger.

I simply have to get this right. I have AA and SMART and of course SR, but I've got to work it a lot harder.

Let's get this done, because I'm one of the worst around here and believe me you either get it or it gets you.

Thanks to all, and make it a peaceful and sober day.

CaseyW 11-11-2016 08:57 AM

Glad you've joined us, my friend, Pelagic263.

Pelagic263 11-11-2016 09:11 AM

Thanks Casey. BTW to those who don't know Casey, the dude is a real inspiration. He had a couple slips but for real this guy is conquering alcohol! I'm very, very proud of what he has done!

Now I have to do it myself. Thanks all.