Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 11-14-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Good work on one week Illuminate. Hang in there on the emotional front. Not drinking will definitely clarify your thoughts.

jazzfish I've reached the same conclusion: the narrative has to change, bigtime.

PhoenixJ, thanks for your continuing wisdom, and I don't use the word lightly. Yup, I've got the SMART handbook, and the Big Book, and some psychological stuff that pertains to me personally. Not many meetings in my area, but I should go. I definitely can recommend the SMART handbook--good old nuts and bolts CBT approach. I kinda think the Higher Power is above my pay grade somehow. It just won't click. Same with AVRT, it just won't click. Try anything, people, but get it done. That's my thinking.

I think my renewed vigor in this stems from the fact that I joined SR eight months ago tomorrow and I still haven't got alcohol behind me. I know that relapsing is very common but I didn't start this to relapse; I started this to kick alcohol's butt. I listened to an AA speaker last week, a traditionalist, who said the original program was not meant to take forever. He said, and I don't know how many agree with this, that the original intent was that the steps would take about 40 days (kind of a Biblical number as AA is fond of), after which you're stabilized on steps 10-12. And I thought, well, yeah, why not? That's the whole point of it, right? But as most of us know, especially those of us who have trouble with the whole HP aspect, things get complicated. That's where SMART, etc., come into play. Nuts and bolts, and maybe some wire to hold the thing together until the recovery sets in.

Keep it sober, one day at a time. It's day 3 for me and I'm committed.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Checking in, mornings by of day 8. I am feeling pretty good this morning. I am glad I made it through the weekend sober. I found myself feeling very aggravated and frustrated with my husband. There are several underlying things that are causing these feelings. I am not sure how to address this. I am going to give it some time. I'm sure I'll figure out how to address.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Pelagic - you're doing it! Be so proud of yourself ❤️❤️
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through the first week Rah!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

No drinking for about 10 months- joined here juneish. Better? Stable, safe and sober. Very, very serious about my recovery being for the rest of my life. Rarely happy- but I am alive- growing and learning more about me and life everyday. I am that I am.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Day 14 here. Another weekend spent walking, reading, watching old re-runs and drinking way too much coffee (I am working on that! lol)
Trying my best to stay focussed on my job hunt and growing as a person. Hard to some days- I keep thinking of my ex...we talk but I am not sure reconciliation is an option in his head...the binge is still fresh and he may need some time. Either way, I know I need to stay focussed on ME regardless what happens with US. This is my journey to get better and stay better this time.
Hang in there folks, we're doing it!
Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Old 11-14-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ingeborg View Post
Caseyw you absolutely amaze me with your meticulous way of contacting everyone on this thread and encouraging them. You make it so personal for everyone and so supportive.

Well 7th day for me, wish sleep would improve. Feeling good otherwise, try to keep as busy as possible. I can tell I have more energy now. Still full of remorse for the years I wasted drinking.

On a more positive note may the day be beautiful. And for all if you struggling like me know that I support you, know how you feel and care for you. Stay strong, hold on and never let go. Peace. 😘
Ingeborg, please find some way to forgive yourself...learn from the past but don't live there. You can make amends ( they don't have to be 'formal') , even to yourself!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

The morning of day two. Reading everyone's posts with breakfast to find inspiration. You all give me hope, that we are all going through the same struggles with addiction always reminds me that people are there... As an alcoholic I've always isolated myself from others whenever I would binge, is the loneliest place on earth. You can easily forget how many are out there to help. Grateful for SR. Thank you guys for posting, caring and sharing.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 9 here.

Work went late last night and then I stayed up even later playing video games so I'm off to a slow start this morning. That's OK though as I have no real plans for the day other than work again this afternoon/evening.

Glad your house cleaning is moving forward, MidnightRider. Sounds like day 17 was a nice one.

Welcome to SR and to the November class, Maggie0119! Stick close, post often, the support to be found here is pretty amazing.

And thanks to you for helping me also have a sober weekend, Purplrks. Let's have another sober week, ok?

cornpone! Love the name and am so glad you've decided to join us Nobenders.

Glad you didn't drink yesterday, Kaily. Make sure you're staying hydrated and not hungry today. These cravings will ease up, I promise. Just don't take that first drink for today. That's the one that causes all the problems.

You're sounding good, Steely. Keep on doing the next right thing.

Sorry about the loss of Marley and about your decision to drink, emme. Glad you're right back here. Give us a chance to help you next time please, my good friend. I'm so glad we're sober classmates.

Congrats on your sober weekend, rah555!

So let me get this straight, Applekat, do you actually eat the ice cream while in the bubble bath? Hmm, I need a little freezer in my bathroom, I think.

Congrats on 25 days, kevlarsjal. While I do attend some meetings, I'm not a huge AA advocate myself, but I will say this: Every meeting is different. The fellowship you can find at AA can be amazing, so I urge anyone to try out a variety of meetings until you find one that clicks for you.

You sound good in your last posts, Miramira, despite the exhaustion. One step at a time, this does get better.

Hope you're doing well, bblackbirdflyy. I always want to add two or three extra y's after your normal one extra y.

Time is sometimes the best medicine, Pelagic. Hang in there, sounds like you've got the right mindset right now, my sober friend.

This can be your last day one, Samantha. Doesn't sound like drinking did you any good, glad you're back here with us. Enjoy your day off.

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I used to talk to myself in the third person. 'You need to get sober'. By saying 'you' instead of 'I', it gave me permission to distance myself from me. Like it was not my fault. So I started talking to myself with effort saying 'I have to have a shower'. Works. Seems false- a lie, but it is not.
Wonderful stuff here, PhoenixJ. Thank you for being you!

Well, not drinking certainly can't hurt in the weight loss department either, jazzfish. Try not to be too hard on yourself. You're on the right path today.

Congrats on wrapping up a week sober today, Illuminate! Give this sobriety stuff some more time to sink in and stick and I'm sure you're right--the girlfriend situation will become more clear one way or the other in time.

Two weeks, Truthbetold76! That's awesome! Keep on keeping on.

How are you doing today, Optimist4ever57?

So happy to see so many people checking in today. Whether we're on day one or day ten thousand, there are some wonderful, sober folk here.

Remember it's the first drink that's the problem for us. As long as we don't take the first one, we never have to worry about drink number two or three or six or ten. We don't have to take that first drink today no matter what is going on in our minds or life.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

So excited to say I made it through the weekend without a drink. I had a wonderful weekend with my husband, kids, and parents. I am so lucky and blessed to have such a supportive family.

Just checking in because it's on my plan to do so. I am still having an internal debate with myself about going to AA. I believe, eventually, it is inevitable that I will go back. I just can't seem to make myself do it just yet.

I slept last night!! Yay!!! I went to bed about 9:30pm and slept until 5:30am. First full night sleep in a long time. I feel really good this morning.

Congratulations to everyone for another day sober! Welcome to everyone who has decided to join this group and give sober life a chance.

Have a Blessed day and I am just wanting 24 more hours. <3
Old 11-14-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sounding great, shell77!
Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

8th day

I posted this morning on my eight day. Coming back here my post is not here. Did I do something incorrectly? I know I pressed 'submit reply'. Just curious.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Not sure why your morning post didn't go through, but congrats on day 8, ingeborg. Hope you are having a nice day!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Awfully quiet in here. How's everyone doing?

Slowly getting ready for work myself.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Casey - My work day (if you can call it that today..) is almost done.

Cold and cloudy today. Like my mood.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hi Casey, hi all, I'm sitting here trying to absorb everyone's posts and wanting to respond individually, but my ability to condense and remember has been sorely tested in recovery.

My head is so messy, and wander around wide eyed and anxious on what feels to be another planet. Landed on Planet Sober and trying to figure out the terrain.

I know I'll never figure the terrain if I drink alcohol, and I can't let that happen, NO! It has taken so much, with loss, grief and anger smouldering in the background.

I dont want to fall into another crater as the climb out is too hard. I want to see what this planet looks like in all of its ways. I don't see anything when I'm drinking and suppose that was its purpose, to turn away the world.

I don't want to be gutless any longer and want to face and embrace the world. I've always wanted that, but the wheels fell off and I didn't have a puncture kit. Now I do, and it is YOU! No pressure lol, unintended pun

I thank you all so much, I'm trying to make it real.

Hey Phoenix, no linkin' me with BHP. Bloody multinationals haha

No, my Dad was a Moulder and worked with molten steel, he taught me how to melt lead to make fishing sinkers.

He was also *alcoholic* during a period where there was nothing for the likes of us outside of relentless judgement and moral indignation. For all of his failings I loved him very much, and have always been intrigued by molten metal. I love a good crucible.

My love to you all. We will get this job done.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

That was beautiful MidnightRider. Thank you so. Crying at breakfast.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Edit: re-write....

I just wrote a negative post about myself so retracted it in the pursuit of the positive.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hello, I am jumping on board, hope that's ok. I am getting close to the 24-hour mark. I feel pretty gross right now but made it through work. I have had some craving and thoughts about postponing quitting until tomorrow ... but I squashed those thoughts as nonsense. I can't just have a few drinks, so the picture in my head of relaxing with "a few" after work is stupid. You would think that after hundreds (maybe thousands) of "learning opportunities" I would recognize that fact more readily.

Hoping that we can keep each other accountable.