Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 4

Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm still here CuteNGay! 55 days last time is really impressive, but hopefully you can sail past that marker this time! I'm on Day 48, which I think is the longest I've been sober in my adult life.

It's getting cold and rainy here in the UK - I keep walking past pubs and seeing people snuggled up with glasses of red wine. Some days it doesn't bother me, but it's been getting under my skin the past 48 hours.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 25 for me. Look on the bright side SSOH no crappy hangovers and feeling rubbish all day. 48 days is great, keep going.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

That's true, SoberRobster - I do find it MUCH easier to get out of bed in the morning. I'd been taking that for granted.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hi folks!

SSOH the cranberry ginger ale is a pre-mixed soda like CAGY said. When I was out for dinner last week I had them mix me one from cranberry juice and ginger ale. Feels a little more like a special or mixed drink but without any booze.

Windancer glad your weekend was a success.

I'm having a quiet lazy day today, although I did just deliver the cabinet for my granddaughter and dropped off some old paint at the solid waste depot. I'm pretty sore from doing too much work yesterday. I have rheumatoid arthritis that lets me know when I've been overdoing it. I may just spend some time in front of the tv

Have a good one everyone
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going you guys

D
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
It's getting cold and rainy here in the UK - I keep walking past pubs and seeing people snuggled up with glasses of red wine. Some days it doesn't bother me, but it's been getting under my skin the past 48 hours.
I relate to this! Sometimes seeing other people drinking (especially red wine, for me) can look sooo lovely and inviting... But then I remember that there's nothing pretty about it when I drink. Likewise, somedays it bothers me and other days it's nothing. There was a day last week when I was feeling low and it seemed like EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. on the tv had a drink in their hand. Even when I decided to read a book instead, the characters were drinking vodka and beer.

But! Day 28! Four weeks sober today. There were many times that I could not have imagined being able to get even this small stretch.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats bikube

D
Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

hi I'm new. ive got 47 days sober behind me. strugging with depression and anxiety. trying to be positive that time will heal.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sea of serenity

D
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
I'm still here CuteNGay! 55 days last time is really impressive, but hopefully you can sail past that marker this time! I'm on Day 48, which I think is the longest I've been sober in my adult life.

I'll be sure to wave at Windsor, I remember back in the day you could drive over when you were 19 and drive back with a trunk full of beer. They'd just wave you by at the border. I won't be doing any drinking in Canada this time!

On the subject of Ginger Ale and Michigan I just remembered how yummy vernors is.

Maybe the thread is dying down a bit because we're able to keep ourselves a bit more busy these days (I try to look on the bright side of things).
Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

A heartfelt welcome to you, Sea of Serenity. 47 sober days is AWESOME! Congrats. I am on Day#35. I hear ya on the anxiety and depression. For me it certainly greatly improves and gets better the longer I am sober. Don't get me wrong ... taking away the alcohol didn't fix all my other issues, but it sure has quit making them much, much worse!

I'm making a commitment to re-commit again to this kick-arse September Group! You're right ... it's been slow, Lets up the ante and get back to it
Old 10-18-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bikube View Post
There was a day last week when I was feeling low and it seemed like EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. on the tv had a drink in their hand. Even when I decided to read a book instead, the characters were drinking vodka and beer. .
YES! It has been feeling this way recently. But then there have also been moments that have taken me by surprise: e.g. last Saturday, I was working on my laptop in a cafe where alcohol is also sold and had a pang of "Woe is me - why can't I have a weekend beer / wine like EVERYONE else". But when I looked around, I saw that about 50% of the people in there were enjoying soft drinks. It was just my perception that everyone was drinking booze.

In another cafe (I work in them a lot, as I'm a freelancer and get cabin fever at home!), I found myself sitting next to a man and a woman who had obviously never met before and were having an informal business chat (I guess they'd networked online or something). It was about 5pm when they arrived, and by 7pm when I left the woman had got through three large glasses of wine and had stopped making any sense. Even though I was only half-overhearing them, I was aware that she was repeating herself. That must have been me at work events SO many times. I don't want that. Felt pretty grateful for my hot chocolate in that moment.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi SeaofSerenity - I also hear you on the depression and anxiety. It's difficult to unpick where the depression ends and the effects of the alcohol begin - as alcohol is definitely a depressant. Even after stopping, I'm very up and down - but I'm hoping that in the long term, taking booze out of the equation will make a positive difference. 47 days is great! Glad you're here. xx
Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

MBS Check In: Mentally scattered, physically un-rested, and spiritually inspired.

I went back to AA after a week away .... I was pretty sick with the flu or something after the kratom withdrawal and had so much work to do for the horses before they came I took a week off. I didn't feel right leaving to go to AA while both my parents were still working away outside. But it was great to be back ... and I finally got my red chip for 30 days of sobriety!

Sometimes I worry that I post too frequently on here... I hope it doesn't bother others. As I mentioned I am recommitting to this group and hope others may follow suit
Old 10-18-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm aware that I'm posting a lot too at the moment, Windancer - but I suppose that's what the forum is there for... I like reading your posts!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm glad - well, not GLAD, but I'm sure you all know what I mean - that I'm not the only one dealing with anxiety and depression in the aftermath of alcohol. This tight ball in the pit of my stomach is starting to feel like an old friend, but no beer + not eating = weight loss, so silver lining? It doesn't help that my marriage has gotten pretty strained in the last couple of months. We start counseling on Thursday and I'm giving it my all to get her back, but it's hard going without my usual brand of anasthesia. Everyone keep me in your thoughts... I need all the help I can get.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

And I always enjoy your posts too SSOH
Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks

Bikube I've mentioned on here before how watching my Coronation Street makes me want a glass of wine. Having said that, I was reading an interview with the acress who plays Carla O'Connor and she said she was sick of drinking the red grape juice that they use as a prop for red wine. Just goes to show it's all an illusion Congrats on four weeks.

Welcome SeaofSerenity. I hope you are able to find some resources to help you deal with your depression and anxiety.

Tekink you may be on to something about people keeping busy. It certainly sounds like it from everyone's posts.

Windancer glad to see you getting back to your routines, although your break sounds wonderful.

SSOH I also sometimes think about how much I wish I could be having a drink (usually accompanied with "I deserve it"). But isn't seeing someone else showing us how embarrassing we get the best remedy out there!

I got up early today and got right to work on organizing. I was probably feeling guilty for such a lazy day yesterday. I know I talk a lot about getting my house organized and you'd think it would be done by now, but really it will probably be a year long project lol. Amazing how much clutter and disorder you can acquire.

Anyway break time is over. Going back at it. Have a good one everyone!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anustart View Post
I'm glad - well, not GLAD, but I'm sure you all know what I mean - that I'm not the only one dealing with anxiety and depression in the aftermath of alcohol. .
I know what you mean - although I think my anxiety & depression pre-date my heavy drinking. I used alcohol to self-medicate, thus causing further anxiety & depression... And so the grim cycle began! Not much fun, is it?

Hope your first counselling session goes well this week. That sounds like it's a positive step (although I don't imagine it's easy).
Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

PS - Love that Corrie has made it over to Canada, HelenofTroy! Plenty of booze fuelled drama in the Rovers Return!