Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 4

Old 10-18-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
PS - Love that Corrie has made it over to Canada, HelenofTroy! Plenty of booze fuelled drama in the Rovers Return!
Right?! You'd think it would make you want to NOT drink lol. I've been a fan for about fifteen years. It's the only daily drama that I watch.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post

I got up early today and got right to work on organizing. I was probably feeling guilty for such a lazy day yesterday. I know I talk a lot about getting my house organized and you'd think it would be done by now, but really it will probably be a year long project lol. Amazing how much clutter and disorder you can acquire.

Anyway break time is over. Going back at it. Have a good one everyone!
Oh Helen I am exactly the same way. I moved into this apartment months ago and have not completely unpacked. I can still be so very disfunctional at times. With all the organizing and cleaning I say I am doing I should live in a spotless mansion LOL. But I am doing a deep de-cluttering too and I do a good job so when it is done I will be very happy with it .. and I know even if it took awhile that I've done a great job . And healing and getting sober is no small task either. It takes time, effort and energy to work on Recovery. So I suggest taking it easy on yourself
Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Day 41. Just finished back to back phone interviews ...think I did well. Wanted to check in with my friends off to get a Iced Pumpkin Spiced Coffee! Yum! (my new addiction)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Living the life

Lots of good things happening for you CAGY
Old 10-18-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

End of Day#35 . It was a good day. No meeting tonight, and I've decided that going 4-5 times a week works just fine for me (and not missing more than one day in a row). I still need to inform my sponsor of these plans though. It's basically what I've been doing anyhow.

MBS Check In: I'm feeling mentally and emotionally calm and sharp, physically restless and my body is loving the work looking after the horses, and spiritually I am feeling inspired.

The Meditation Retreat was so blissful. This is controversial but it was actually an Ayahuasca Ceremony facilitated by a Maestro and Shaman trained healer. It is like compacting 15 years of excellent therapy in one or two nights. Explaining the experience is like explaining the colour blue to someone who can't see colour at all. If anyone is curious about Ayahuasca please feel free to PM me.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I figured out how to make a photo album in my profile! So if anyone wants to see a couple pics of Chancelot and the Enchanted Forest check out my album in my profile
Old 10-18-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
I know what you mean - although I think my anxiety & depression pre-date my heavy drinking. I used alcohol to self-medicate, thus causing further anxiety & depression... And so the grim cycle began! Not much fun, is it?
I'm in the same boat. I felt weird as long as I can remember but wasn't sure why, had that eureka moment with alcohol and its been a long and gradual decline stuck in an anxiety fuelled loop till it landed me in hospital.

From my researching. it sounds like my condition is known as PAWS which is compounding what may have been a case of mild social anxiety before I self medicated.
effectively the brain is trying to balance itself naturally for once, as the presence of alcohol had disrupted it. whilst this happens, we feel anxiety, depression and various other symptoms. it's difficult due to its unpleasantness but the important thing to remember is that these symptoms are needed for the brain to learn, to eventually get itself to a healthy place where the symptoms are far better managed.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Windancer - just looked at your album. What beautiful horses! And you live in such a gorgeous place! You've obviously put a huge amount of work in to build all of that - it's fantastic! x
Old 10-19-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lovely horses windancer

D
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks!

Windancer I love your pics. Like SSOH said, you have put in so much hard work, but it looks like that will pay off now in quality of life

CAGY my daughter is into the spiced pumpkin thing. I still haven't tried it myself. I guess I need to get out more

SOS now that you have figured out what is going on hopefully you will be able to find new ways to deal with it.

I had such a good night's sleep last night! Even my wrist step tracker agrees. I got a lot done yesterday and I feel really good about it. Among other things I carted off three boxes of books to Goodwill. I used to buy a LOT of books but haven't even opened a cover since switching to my Kobo (Canadian Kindle) years ago. I would buy not just fiction (although that too) but also lots of non-fiction such as any hobby that was currently catching my interest, social justice themes, union history, etc. I'm embarrassed to tell you how much dust was on these books! While sorting through the stacks I ran across a number of self-help and inspirational books. Those all went back on my bookshelf. I figure they should be worth exploring now to see if I get anything from them to support my new lifestyle. I was raised with the idea that books are precious and so once you have them you never get rid of them. Donating those boxes of books was a big accomplishment for me.

I'm feeling motivated and getting back at it today. Have a good one everyone
Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Still Going Strong

Hi Everyone!

I haven't quite kept up to my goal of posting here every day, but I have kept to my goal of not drinking! It's been 5 1/2 weeks now. I finally have the energy and motivation to exercise. With fewer calories coming in and more going out (and lots of veggies) I think I am seeing some good news on the bathroom scale. It's a slow process but I think a pound a week would be awesome. I'm ready to get rid of the beer belly just like I got rid of the beer.

I had a week long business trip where it would have been really easy to have some drinks. Expense account means it's free... and I even got an upgrade to first class on the flight back, where pretty much everyone around me was knocking back alcohol (except for the lady in front of me who was airsick the whole time.)

I ordered a few drinks of the Bloody Mary Mix. There's no alcohol and it tastes exactly like you'd expect without the paint thinner smell

Anyway, good luck to you all working hard on yourselves, and wish me luck as I continue my work.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you dingood - congrats on your progress

D
Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by Dingood View Post
I ordered a few drinks of the Bloody Mary Mix. There's no alcohol and it tastes exactly like you'd expect without the paint thinner smell
In Canada we do Caesars which are Bloody Marys but made with clamato juice. I buy the pre-mixed version with all the spices and drink it virgin. Yum!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!
Thanks for all the compliments of the horses. I think they are beautiful too
Only the corral is seen in the pictures but they have a much larger area to roam and play and be horses behind and beside the corral in the bush.

Day#36 for me! wooHOO.

I think I've made a decision about AA ... but my sponsor will not approve. Lately I've been trying to go every single day and I'm finding that wearing. But I'd happily commit to every other day. That would be 4-5 times a week, and I'd make sure I didn't miss two days in a row. I want a life outside of AA too. I want to go to the arena some evenings for a workout. The evenings is when I do part of my horse chores. I am still 100% committed to AA and the program. I'm just going to be content going every other day which is a lot more realistic living in the country with no license.

MBS Check in: I'm feeling mentally resilient, physically stiff and unbalanced and spiritually content that I'm on the right road.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I messed up again, sorry guys. Have a work capability assessment on Saturday, which I am dreading.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Maybe you should apologize to yourself first, my friend
Your September peeps always have your back

What could you do next time to avoid this happening again in the future?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Maybe you should apologize to yourself first, my friend
Your September peeps always have your back

What could you do next time to avoid this happening again in the future?
thanks.

I gave into cravings again. The past few days are all a massive blur, I can't really remember why I did it.

I think I should tell my family I have a problem with it?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hi Martin. Glad to see you coming back.

I think if you are able to share with your family what you are trying to do it will help you to keep yourself accountable. Because my family knows I can't just go ahead and give in and have a drink in front of them without feeling like I'm letting myself down because someone other than me knows. Not sure if that makes sense, but long story short, yes

Have you come up with any ideas of ways of dealing with stress? Exercise maybe? Or even just walks?
Old 10-19-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Love the horses Wind! And the set up! Purrrty. You definitely have to try the pumpkin offerings Helen. I go a little overboard...lol but the coffee is def my fave. Once thanksgiving passes I usually go into my peppermint mocha phase lol. Glad you came back Martin, if your family doesn't already know ..I would definitely say something. the accountability, like Helen said will help. DaY 42.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Once thanksgiving passes I usually go into my peppermint mocha phase lol.
Peppermint mocha sounds delish! I'll be jumping on that train