Notices

One Year & Over Part 42

Old 09-25-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, you are an amazing person. The older I get, the more I realize how lucky I was to have such loving parents. Even when my Dad's alcoholism was at it's worst, he still provided for us kids. Mom was (and still is) the rock of the family.

Drake, please don't give up. Maybe time to change the game plan. It took complete and utter surrender to set me free.

As for Facebook, I hope to only use it to stay in touch and post some old family photos. I've already heard from some folks that I haven't in years.

Just about time for my extended Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a good one, overs!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mags, you are so right about it being hard to let go - and that can take many forms. My daughter was a major challenge from the time she was 7 months old. She stopped all naps at that time and slept one hour a night. There were few quiet spells over the years. I don't think I'm controlling but then she probably thinks so. I realize that when there's a new major challenge, I react with panic - currently because I want peace and quiet in my life. I do need to work out a way to manage myself better with her ups and downs and mainly accept that I can't do anything.

(((Drake))), I'm so sorry you are still battling. I've been through multiple rounds. When I finally managed to get sober this last time, I had to use many, many resources including an intensive outpatient program to finally stop more than a few weeks. Please consider doing everything it takes to stay sober - this is a matter of having a life.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Drake, you are far more than "just a drunk." We probably have all had that exact thought when we hit our bottoms.

You can do this! You have the power!

Have a great day all!
Old 09-25-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Overs. Day 1 and all the temptation is gone. I do not plan to give up and do not plan to disappear. You all can't get rid of me that easy!

I thought I was smart enough to handle it, but of course addiction proved me wrong again. Learn and go on.

I may have posted this before but my new mantra is if you are on a 1,000 mile journey and you have a flat tire after 800 miles, you don't go back and maybe or maybe not start all over, you fix and go on. Maybe you arrive a bit later, but you get where you are going.

Thanks Overs see you later!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Itchy you are amazing, compassionate, wise, a good teacher. I still feel new to this group and just getting to know you all, I feel VERY lucky. Here, here- I feel the same way, Far!

Drake, I'm glad to hear you are not giving up. It's cunning, baffling and powerful- but keep fighting.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Drake, you know you're always welcome here. I do hope you can stop for good. You're worth it, my friend.

Besides the usual ducks and geese, I saw a heron and a turkey vulture this morning...both rare sights in the city...the vulture looks pretty freaky close up...reminds me that Halloween is just around the corner
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

(((Sask and Drake))), sending positive thoughts your way.

Personally, I dig FB...cool way to keep in touch and share with recovery friends, gym rat peeps, hs and college friends, my old friends, family...etc. Haha, like recovery methods - to each his own.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Drake, you know you're always welcome here. I do hope you can stop for good. You're worth it, my friend.

Besides the usual ducks and geese, I saw a heron and a turkey vulture this morning...both rare sights in the city...the vulture looks pretty freaky close up...reminds me that Halloween is just around the corner
We have many herons in the city, there is a famous one that hangs around a person's koi pond and helps himself to sushi. Not many turkey vultures but we have lots of red tail hawks around.

Geese and ducks... dime a dozen.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs.

Gutters cleared out, horrible job, only put it off for a week. used to be months.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good Sunday Morning to you too Mags, and Suze!

Good Afternoon Dee, ( the clock slipped past 12 noon between paras)
Well said.
Indeed, relapses are to be feared worse than staying sober. Each says you made it again, and then emboldened we drink again sooner because we can quit again, until the only time we aren't indulging in our drug of choice is sleeping. But we only sleep high, until sober, and once gone far enough, we wake in full withdrawals like I was at the end. Not hungover so much as the full physical need of alcohol to stop the shaking, and get back under the influence until even sleep can't stop us and we wake and drink every few hours at night, until we don't have to worry about waking and shaking, and our sleep is uninterrupted for eternity. I hope you choose sooner, than later my friend.

Wolf!
Hey guy! December is the new episodes of Man in the high castle, Mr. Robot is on one of my Sling TV channels along with several others.

We just watched the first episode of Stranger things and agree.

However, we binge watched the Sopranos, one to three episodes a night, starting with season 1 episode 1. We watched the last four episodes last night. I hated the ending as I imagine most did. We also found a person on Craigslist selling the first five seasons of Game of Thrones (GOT) on BluRay collector's editions for 40 bucks like new, now ours. So tonight we decide if it is Stranger Things, GOT, or another. We also just found a new series on Netflix that we lost track of and loved. A UK show called "Call The Midwife," Watch Full Episodes Online of Call the Midwife on PBS

We have watched it on PBS the first four seasons but think we will catch up as all five seasons are there, so it is next. On our "My list" are Jonathon Strange And Mr. Norrel," The new season of "Longmire," and we wait for the next "Peaky Blinders," Frankie and Grace," and others. OMG! Netflix just got the full first four seasons of the original "The Twilight Zone" starting in 1959!

Then there are over the air shows and movies, well, they appear faster than we can watch them all. NO more cable with 500 channels and nothing worth watching these days. Hope you are well.

Toots,
It would be the end of civilization if we as a species suddenly were given the ability to mind read perfectly. But some of us would learn from the mistakes of others, and those that don't would not be able to sneak up on the rest. We see the worst come out online with the cloak of anonymity how many angry people with no other outlet there are online. Most of them because they are Casper Milquetoasts in real life day to day and harbor feelings of persecution and anger most could not even imagine. So perhaps our isolation within our own minds is a good thing. Feeling lonely might beat feeling the inner thoughts of abusers and the power mad. Or even our poor innocent families.
Kevin is hilarious! Thanks, I Lost an hour watching them, up to his Not "Dry Dream" episode.

Andy,
Hi!
Agree about FaceCrook. I'm also on ELLO just for the emails and art. Both locked down.

FBL,
Thanks bud.
We both were lucky. It would have been interesting to have a dad as a kid but if I spit in one hand and wish in the other we know which will fill up first! I am glad you and he both had the sober time together to say your good byes and had "enough."

Carlos,
99 out of 100 folks I meet in the RW and CW love FB too.

I believe a lot of what Richard Bach wrote in his book "Illusions: The Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah."

I feel about FB, religion, politics, and philosophies, much like he meant when he wrote this:

"Allow the world to live as it chooses, and allow yourself to live as you choose.”

"Richard Bach"

FTG and Dharma,

"Learning is finding out what you already know, Doing is demonstrating that you know it, Teaching is reminding others that they know it as well as you do. We are all learners, doers, and teachers.”

Richard Bach

Here is a nice page of Illusions quotes:Richard Bach Quotes (Author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

This 2 minute excerpt is great.

Have a great week Overs!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs .

Sassy, you're made of good stuff , you should be proud of yourself.

Fbl, I looked up turkey vulture and I see how they got their name! Pleased you had a good walk.

Drake, I like your analogy.

Itchy, I used to watch the twilight zone when I was younger and loved it! Call the midwife is very popular here but I haven't watched it.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I love "Call The Midwife" too, Itch. The new season of Longmire is next, getting bored with The Blacklist

We went to mass a couple of weeks ago at a parish that holds services outdoors in summer. There were several turkey vultures circling overhead the entire time. I wasn't quite sure what to think about that....
Old 09-25-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Do your best

I found out about man in the high castle yesterday and was like December ??? oh well it will be worth the wait

A lot of the shows you mentioned I like especially stranger things and peaky blinders & your spot on about sopranos the ending sucks but overall it's epic 'just when I thought I was out.. they pull me back in'

Wouldn't mind catching some of the twilight zone think I caught a couple repeats growing up but can't be sure

I wanted to get into GoT but mrs sw can't stand all that : ( and I have all the seasons

Good stuff Itch I did notice a show called last man on earth on Amazon and it looks promising i can't wait for season 3 of Bosch & S2 of Hap N Leonard

As for Me Robot have you seen all of S2 yet if so let me know what you think because im just not sure lol

We're watching Australian Hardliners i saw this before but it's awesome it's about long line fishing I loved the original Scottish season 1 and this just improves on that Aussie skippers rock (Netflix btw)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning/evening Drake ~ so much love my friend.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus... good day so far.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I got many chuckles from the Sopranos. It was set not far from where I grew up in New Jersey. Every town seemed to have at least one mob family - ours was no exception; one of the sons was in my elementary school class. And one of the episodes was set in Hacklebarney State Park - where we used to go with Girl Scouts .

I'm finally getting back to watching Bosch - I had previously read the books. I've only watched the first season of GOT so far.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Saskia - I think you're an amazing person, with such strength and perseverance. I know what you mean about panicking when things take a turn for the worse with your daughter. I find myself in the same boat with my oldest. I'm genuinely interested to watch how you handle your daughter's struggles.

Itchy - I can't remember if I sent my congrats on 6 years. Congrats and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Drake - You are more than "just a drunk." I think our cunning, baffling and powerful condition would have us believing all kinds of lies to keep us in its grips. We as your recovery family can see the gifts that you offer. You are a bright guy, a quick witted, articulate contributor to SR. But being smart has no bearing on recovery. When booze had its hooks on me there was no way to rationalize my way out of its grip. All I had to change was everything. Not all at once, just one day at a time.

For me, some higher power suggested, Why not try what's worked for others who find themselves in the same situation, and go to a meeting?

I was about to talk myself out of it, as I didn't feel particularly inspired by my previous experiences with AA. I ended up going because (1) I wouldn't be able to drink for that hour and (2) Dee disagreed with my depiction of AA as a place where pathetic people gathered to complain. I guess if I listened closer I would have seen that it was a group of people offering each other solutions.

I know the virtual online meetings have been a huge help for you. Why not try to meet some folks for face to face support?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Hope you all have a super Monday.

I've got a holiday day today, to catch up and get my hair done! It's getting long and unruly which quite honestly I like, I call it my mane! Roar!
An old neighbour who lives in Johannesburg saw me on Facebook and said my hair reminded her of when I was younger! And I thought about it and it's true! I had this hairstyle when I was in my teens and twenties.

I grew my hair since being on the meds as I knew they could give you a 'moon face'. Luckily I didn't get a moon face just the rest of me has blossomed ( a nicer word than got fatter!) since I've grown it I like it!

Happy Monday
Old 09-25-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Morning all, hope you don't have a Manic Monday
Old 09-25-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning everyone wishing everyone a nice day ahead