Notices

One Year & Over Part 40

Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Rick. Congrats on 33 months! That devil on my shoulder is so much quieter than it used to be. Instead of being annoyed at it, I'm finding that the positive side is that I don't listen to it anymore :-)

Hi to all!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

itch does your camper have pontoons?

do hope your ok buddy
Old 08-15-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Maybe Itch is busy working on that ark Seriously, hope you're okay too.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Itchy, we're all thinking of you! The flooding in LOuisiana sounds horrendous.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thinking of you Itch

Congratulations on 33 months Rick
Old 08-15-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Gosh not more bad weather in Louisiana! Poor folk there do not get a break!

Good to see you Instant and Rick

Thank you all for the congrats, I do remember the 14th of every month... Just not always on that exact date!! Midnight Blue and Kris are also 14thers as well I believe!

Thank you Suze for the timely reminders every month!!
FBL I too despair at times, if only we could learn to respect each other, life would be a lot happier.

Mags, well done on the tomatoes!

Wolfie don't overdo it and injure yourself!

Sass, it's not a pleasant sight to see someone who should know better stumbling around... We think age brings wisdom, but sadly, we tend to continue to be the same fools, just saggier!

Have a great week all x
Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Re-Member

First yes we are safe and far north of the flooding down south of us quite away from us. We had the flooding now they are having the climate change freakish weather rain down on them.

Second a belated congrats to LSC for her 4 years, and all the monthlies being celebrated out there.

Toots
Good lord are you moving? Nice area for it.

Wolf,
I wish I had your energy! You've a lovely life growing into your roots.

Far,
Pain is success, failure is not hospice. I am sorry you are having a rough patch, whatever the reason. Glad you are still out there.

Suze,
You too dear. Hang in there so you can tour the "other colonies."

Sassy,
He did have a great folk sound didn't he? I was 13 when "Baby The Rain Must Fall" Was a chart topper. I also remember The Limeliters and their music.

Star,
Glad you went well with your party. And yes I'm fine here thanks.

Mags,
Any relief away from the source?

Hey Instant!

FBL,
I am glad you are safe with your city in riot mode and a step from Martial Law. Be safe bud. BTW what is the deal with the blank video of Glenn Yarbrough it must have worked at first? Glenn was my era too.

Glee,
Me too. Year two was when the pink cloud lifted and I found I had to work on working on me. I spent part of it in neutral.

RZ,
FBL is one of the youngsters!

Dharma,
I watched most of Wentworth but never finished. Another excellent series is "Justified" which I never got into when it was on TV. We are also watching "The Sopranos" from start to finish and that will take a while. We never bought the premium channels and were living in Germany when it started and through the first few years of that series before we returned. We will watch all of Game of Thrones whenever it become free on one of our streaming services. We love the new series now waiting on season three - "Frankie and Grace." We are waiting for the new season of "Peaky Blinders" another one that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Rick,
Great to hear from you bud! 33 Months ; huge!

As I said the flooding is far South of us. Thanks for asking and no Ark or pontoons needed here. That flooding is worse than Katrina which I did go down to help with 11 years ago.

The picture is me and my weapon during our Katrina rescues. I am not in the shape anymore to go jumping into contaminated waters and carrying folks out to the boat. Folks who never have been in a major flood don't realize that the septic tanks and sewers are underwater as well as the cars making flood waters a toxic stew of bacteria and toxins from chemicals and fuels mixed in with the garbage and sewer filth. The aftermath of Katrina was no cell towers working, no power so no fuel stations worked and no showers or Air Conditioning and it was August, hot and we were in the deep south with the swamps emptying into the filth and dead bodies floating all over there in the heat. You could smell them from a hundred yards away or more.

I called my nephew down there and all the snakes are climbing anything to get to dry places so are in barns and trees like a bad horror movie. He has hundreds in his barn when he went out to try and salvage one of the generators stored out there and under water.

Sorry but we have been busy and I have not taken time late or early as we have had storms and the yard work had backed up and I am now caught up somewhat. Folks, here, historically the summers are dry to severe dry, and it is made up with wet nasty winters. NO relief this year from the rain but the temps are way below normal suddenly in the low to mid 80s now.

Y'all take care and don't worry about me, but those poor folks down there are experiencing the largest worst flooding in decades, perhaps ever if the rain keeps up down there.

I am getting too old for that heavy lifting rescues demand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
flood13 Me (Small).jpg (70.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Here's another shot. Our whole group was in it but I edited them out for this post. We brought down our own boats and supplies for three days (Food, Drinks, smokes and my 1 ton diesel dually had a full spare 64 gallon diesel tank which was needed on the trip back.
I know flood dangers here in the deep south. As you can see I was the "Old Man" for that trip. We were armed because of the threat of looters and armed robbers. The road we are launching into was under 8 feet to 12 feet of water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
flood14 Me (Small).jpg (29.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Nice to see you Itchy!

Congrats on 33 months Rick!
Old 08-15-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're safe Itch

Congrats from me too Rick - well done!

D
Old 08-15-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Also glad you are safe Itchy love....and lovely picture of you.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi all:

Well, I have been missing in action for a bit. The truth is that I am not an Over any longer. While cleaning out a refrigerator no longer used, a neighbor gave me a bottle of vodka, I told him I would get rid of it. It was a temptation so some tonic was bought and I started filling my glass.

But I stopped after 3 or so (as was my usual, I never counted I just just refreshed every so often) and thought you.. (not printable here!) So it was poured out and I learned a lesson.

Gratitude: I knew when to stop. I knew that not doing so would result in trouble. I attribute the bulk of my weight loss (about 50lbs) to no alcohol and I did not want to mess that up. I enjoy size 34 pants and medium sizes instead of 42 and XL.

So done. Over. The great experiment is past. I am not beating myself up. I am not looking for or wanting sympathy. I am not where I used to be. I know I do not want to go back. If anything, this little episode strengthened my desire to keep sober. The alternative is not worth it.

So there it is.

In other news, singing season has started and I am so thrilled that my infamous nemesis is gone. He got sideways with the director and the church Rector when he demanded to have regular solos and to be the tenor section leader. I would have quit. Much more pleasant.

My building is finally getting the big masonry project underway. Finding both good and bad conditions in the 100 year old brick and iron.

HRH is slowing down. Back legs have some dysplasia and weakness so the dreaded walks are shorter and fewer. She does not seem to mind.

It is a mess in south Louisiana. I have a friend whose small hometown is about underwater. Hope for a speedy end to all the rain. They could send some here.

All from Duckland, off to check up on you all.

Don't worry about me. I am fine. And wiser!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Drake - Glad you're back. I really appreciate you sharing what happened. It's hard to hear and throws me a little off balance. I hope to see more of you around here!

Itchy - The flooding is unthinkable. I'm in awe of anyone who willingly runs towards calamity to help others. The pictures are great too! Thanks for sharing.

Toots - Spain sounds lovely! I hope the house hunting goes well.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Glad your back Drake and thanks for being honest and sharing your experience. It will help others.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Magsie

Drake, I'm pleased you're back too, keep close to SR.

Itchy, pleased you're safe.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Hi glee ~ I haven't said that, and also love and thank you dear one....I am doing not too bad mentally, but I don't feel well, and it's not easy, so I am a bit lax with things like answering posts....but really happy to see you here, and I will catch up properly.

Drake ~ I love you. I'm glad you're OK. Really.
That could have been way worse, and I'm beyond glad that your program and your self-worth kicked in to remind you that this is not who you are anymore...and I'm guessing you turfed the vodka.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Good morning Mags.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Drake

D
Old 08-15-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Actually ~ I have stopped myself saying this about three times now....

Drake ~ I am a little worried. I have known you for a LONG time now, and the guy I know would never have taken that vodka out of there...it would have been tossed down the sink the second it was handed to you.

And I'm sending love to Olive. It's hard when they get older.

Suze ♥
Old 08-15-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Suze and Dee, and Wolfie!