Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-09-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Countrygal we're on the same day! I too am sick of the drink / withdraw cycle. Think it's harming me more than daily drinking did. I certainly feel worse. So we are now bound to do this together!!!!!!
Amen, sister! And guess what I'm doing now that it's my evening time? Yep. You inspired me to bust out the herbal tea
Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Life is good today! Just arrived home sober after dinner & drinks with friends at a local tavern (my drinks were water & coke). Wasn't sure how it would go....haven't hung with friends since going sober....but it was great! Lots of laughter and good to catch up. Day 42 coming to a close! Oh, and for all the ladies out there who have been brave enough to admit wanting to slap a co-worker....I proudly stand among you.....my boss is either bat crap crazy (my suspicion) or she has stopped her medication. Unsure of exactly what the specific diagnosis may be....but it had a name, I'm sure of it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Congrats, simplicity! fist bump bravo
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Oh, good Lord, if I had a nickel for every day I wanted to slap someone at work LOL

Will you still be working with those same people once your new gig starts?
We would both probably be millionaires huh? Lol no I will be working in a different building with all new people.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Congrats Simplicity...good to hear it went well. Have managed to avoid those situations thus far but they will be coming soon...hopefully with a little bit of time under my belt I will handle them as well. Good stuff!!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone on all of the life accomplishments and sober accomplishments!! Mayflies are going strong and sticking together.

I am just checking in to stay with you guys! I am still sober...tomorrow is Day 20.

Goodnight (or morning). Have wonderful Fridays!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
I rooting for Team CountryGal & Team Jo!
Whoop whoop!!!! Same to you simplicity! Great to see you and cg on the weekender. Together friend. 😀😀😀
Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Start of my weekend today. Plan today is to get some food in, do some painting and go to the Friday lunchtime AA meeting I've been putting off for weeks. I'll give it a go and let you know how it went. Not sure it'll become regular but today I am motivated to go
Said to bf last night I didn't mind if he had a couple of cans. He had quite a few in the end and got irritating and amorous afterwards....ugh! Anyway he was snoring loudly by about 9.30 so I watched TV in peace. Surprisingly I found it a little amusing. Nothing will set me back. Not for today!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Start of my weekend today. Plan today is to get some food in, do some painting and go to the Friday lunchtime AA meeting I've been putting off for weeks. I'll give it a go and let you know how it went. Not sure it'll become regular but today I am motivated to go
Said to bf last night I didn't mind if he had a couple of cans. He had quite a few in the end and got irritating and amorous afterwards....ugh! Anyway he was snoring loudly by about 9.30 so I watched TV in peace. Surprisingly I found it a little amusing. Nothing will set me back. Not for today!
Morning jo good luck with your meeting. I've decided I'm not going to any I thought about it but i figure i can get this far with just you guys and Reading everyone's posts is enough support for me. It's funny I was bored last night around 10 pm so I went to the pub and had a coke. It was nice no one questioned it I just sat with the guys had my drink and drove home. I have a stag weekend in Wales I've been invited to in august and I'm toying with the idea of just letting myself slip that weekend. It's all my old friends from school. I'm not saying this so you try and talk me out of it its months away. But.... can there really be any harm in going for it every now and then. I've managed to stay sober for 41 days I don't imagine I'll suffer the same problems I did quitting as I did after 16 years of everyday drinking. I also don't believe this is my addiction talking because I'm talking about a date 2 months in the future not about a sneaky drink today.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just checking in this morning. Lots of great posts to catch up on.

Congrats to your new milestones! I've hit 2 weeks today and I'm quite chuffed with that. Definitely, definitely wouldn't have done it without you!!!

Simplicity, so very well done for your evening out with friends, that's is so inspiring!

Jo, good luck with your meeting, I hope you'll enjoy it, it's a big step for you.

WT, welcome and good morning to your Day 20. Awesome!

Ben, where in Wales is the stag? If it's close we could meet up for a cuppa. There is a threat on SR called Maturing Out, might be interesting for you to read. It's good that you're thinking about it in advance, but you know the old saying One Day at A Time.

I think I could join any club for wanting to strangle a co-worker or my MIL lol. It's good to know I'm not alone

I've made a big step preparing for my weekend away by saying to my other half that I won't be drinking over the weekend. I thought it would set the scene a bit and for me it's the first step in the ground. He's perfectly fine with it, I knew that but it was still good to let him know.

Sorry for the ramble. You all have a great sober weekend. Not sure if I can log-on over the weekend, but I'll be back on Monday night. Take care everyone!

I will not drink today!
Old 06-10-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
I have a stag weekend in Wales I've been invited to in august and I'm toying with the idea of just letting myself slip that weekend. It's all my old friends from school. I'm not saying this so you try and talk me out of it its months away. But.... can there really be any harm in going for it every now and then. I've managed to stay sober for 41 days I don't imagine I'll suffer the same problems I did quitting as I did after 16 years of everyday drinking. I also don't believe this is my addiction talking because I'm talking about a date 2 months in the future not about a sneaky drink today.
I would take the 2 months and weigh out the pros vs possible cons. I have a week long vaca coming up in Sept. with friends as well. It's going to be tough to not drink.....and there's no backing out. I've thought about "cheating" (sorta like a diet cheat), but then after putting some serious thought into it....I decided to take the "cheating" idea off the table. #1 I imagine I will get pretty loaded fairly quickly after not drinking in so long. #2 I will most definitely have a hangover the next day #3 I will more than likely, once I start, end up "cheating all week"......with corresponding weeklong hangovers. #4 and most important.....I'm afraid that I will slip down that long and slippery slope into active addiction. One sip and my AV will start telling me I can moderate now...when I know better. So I'm making a recovery plan specifically for that week. I'm going to get out there and do things, stay busy and active, treat my body with respect, and be open & honest about my alcoholism. If my friends can't deal, then I guess I will need to re-evaluate the importance of our friendship in the future.
I know our situations are different...but the alcoholism is the same. I know we've never met but I care about you and I'm sort of afraid you will pull it off for just that night. Which in turn will lead to a false confidence in your ability to moderate successfully. And if any of us could moderate successfully.....we wouldn't be wasting our time on this site.....hell, we never would have found this site. We're here because we were at the end of our ropes, stuck in the sick cycle of addiction.
No judgement Ben....just care about you....that's all
Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Quick checking at day 43. Have a great day all.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Whiteturtle-20 days! Look at you go!!! Congrats on that huge accomplishment!!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Jo- Let us know how the meeting goes!
Old 06-10-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

PP - congrats on 43 days!!!!

First class post Simplicity!!!!

Live is too sweet to live unhealthy!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 41 here...hope everyone is having a great Friday and getting ready for the weekend!

Great response to Ben Simplicity...I echo those sentiments completely. I was in an AA meeting the other day and a woman had 18 years of sobriety, had a very tough couple of days, and slipped and took a drink (I know different than your situation Ben as you are planning this out). After she took the drink decided that she'd drink for a week or two and get it out of her system. That turned in to 7 years and led her into a very destructive downward spiral. As Simplicity said, there is a reason we all felt the need to be here in the first place...we did not have the ability to moderate and no amount of sober time will change that.

Good luck with the meeting Jo...I have been going to them and found with the right group they are very constructive. Fellowship with other alcoholics is a great part of maintaining a long-term recovery plan!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I had 145 days sober last year, Ben, before I gave myself permission to drink one weekend. Took me five months of misery and embarrassment and shame to get back in here by the skin of my teeth. It doesn't get any better out there. Whatever level your drinking was at before, whatever problems it was causing, they're right there waiting for you in a bottle of poison. I've done years and years of firsthand research on this problem. Worry about August in August. Stay sober today.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplepeopleeat View Post
We would both probably be millionaires huh? Lol no I will be working in a different building with all new people.
so true! We'd be, like, Scrooge McDuck ha!

Fingers crossed the new gig is better!
Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Start of my weekend today. Plan today is to get some food in, do some painting and go to the Friday lunchtime AA meeting I've been putting off for weeks. I'll give it a go and let you know how it went. Not sure it'll become regular but today I am motivated to go Said to bf last night I didn't mind if he had a couple of cans. He had quite a few in the end and got irritating and amorous afterwards....ugh! Anyway he was snoring loudly by about 9.30 so I watched TV in peace. Surprisingly I found it a little amusing. Nothing will set me back. Not for today!
oh good grief - I know that feeling! Isn't it crazy to see things as they really are when you're sober? I shudder at the thought of what my past behavior has been like. Yuck.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

My cravings to have a drink don't bother me when I'm with other people, but when I'm alone which is all too often that's when they trouble me. Who wants to be like this guy? He's from a French movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (26.2 KB, 34 views)