Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Take care of yourself, whiteturtle.
Nasty stuff, wine - all those sulphates, and the red puffy face that follows... Do you have something healthy on hand - mineral water with lemon and mint, fruit juice, tomato juice?
Best wishes xx
Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
I ended up not drinking, and I am going to bed soon. But this weekend was so stressful, and work this week is so stressful, and my last few patients of the day were so difficult and wearing. I feel now like it's only a matter of time before I relapse. I really hate feeling that way.
Whiteturtle please dig deep. Don't do what I did. I'm on a whole lot of pain after a massive bender on Sunday. I wouldn't want anyone to feel how I feel right now.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Dear Whiteturtle,
I know those days! UGH! Just had one myself the other week and same as you, I took to SR hoping for encouragement, motivation, or a magical enchantment that would just turn off my cravings & make my AV shut up!
I did receive some empathetic posts and encouragement....but the truth is, ultimately, it came down to me....and I was in a very vulnerable moment. I, like you, went to bed sober and I'm so happy I did because today is the start of Day 41 for me! I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm finding out that I can have an awful, no good, very bad day, & experience a "bring me to my knees" craving, and survive with my self-respect intact. As suspected, the next day I was back to my "normal" self again, sans cravings. Had I caved and drank, I know I would have spiraled into a fit of self loathing that do doubt would have led to more drinking-probably for more than just that night. I learned a lesson that night when I beat that craving...I learned that I am strong enough to beat this thing, I learned that I can go to bed and wake up in a completely different state of mind and feel fine again without medicating myself. I learned that I need to stay vigilant....especially when I'm stressed. I learned that there are lessons to be learned here, walking through the fire that I couldn't have learned without walking through it. I hope your feeling better today.....((hugs friend))! Never, ever, ever give up-you're worth the fight!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! I'm looking at day 24, and appreciate the opportunity to be a part of such a great recovery group!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

One month today! I don't think I'd be here without this site and this thread - so thank you all. Have a great day all.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in a bit later today....

WT, well done for not drinking.
Simplicity, congrats to 41! days sobriety.
Tootiesday, congrats to 24 days!
SickofIt79, congrats to 1 month!

This is so wonderful. I'm so pleased for you my Mayflys. Very encouraging.
I cleared out some cupboards yesterday and to my embarrassment found a few empty! bottles that I was hiding from my partner when I was still drinking. How embarrassing but it showed me that I got off this train just in time. I don't want to go there again.

We going away for a couple of nights this weekend and we usually drink a lot when we're away. There used to be at least 1 morning when I wake up fully dressed sometimes with my coat on and I couldn't put the pieces together. Terrible!
I'm putting a plan together so this doesn't happen again. Actually, reading your posts from last night and early this morning is helping already.

I can do this. I can have a holiday without drinking and getting wasted. I want to stay sober more than I want to be drinking.

Have a great and sober day everyone! I will not drink today!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 39 here...it's awesome to wake up and see all the great sobriety going on here. Purple and Simplicity with 41 days, Ben with 39 days, Sick with a month, Tootie with 24 days...great job everyone!

Glad you did not drink WhiteTurtle and were able to ride out the craving. Hope you are going to come out of your funk soon Jo and get back to your sober routine...don't beat yourself up too much...it's getting up off the mat and dusting yourself off that shows your true character.

Good luck Elke with your trip upcoming...not sure I am ready for the holiday away yet without drinking but hope it goes well for you...let us know what you did to get through it and any helpful tips are much appreciated!

Good to see you posting LonelyWombat and glad you were able to move some items on your to-do list to the side to focus on your recovery...staying sober is Job #1 at this point (for me at least).

Glad to see everyone on here and our class going strong...very important part of my recovery plan (along with AA) to be around fellowship with other alcoholics/folks trying to stay sober. We can do this!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Another working day nearly over. Well done to everyone staying at it.

Day thirty bloody nine!!!!!! I was asked yesterday

" ok, don't you think you've proved your point now?"

Like I did this to prove a point ha ha.

Well, enjoy the weather if it's nice. If it's not then well tuff just enjoy it anyway
Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Big disappointment this afternoon. Had an AA meeting lined up for 8pm but my ex isn't having the girls now. I was gearing myself to go and the change of plan has knocked me somewhat. Anyway so far I've ridden out the anxiety and am going to get my trusty paint brushes back out for a bit and do some more of the kitchen.
I won't drink tonight x
Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Well I made one work finally. It was quite an operation requiring skill and cunning.
The pollen count is off the charts today. I'm choking and hacking and dripping. Now I realize I was sometimes relying on the wine to cut through that nonsense. Maybe I'll try vinegar.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

This is what I meant to add the first time. Then I ruined it by trying to tweak it. It's hard to edit stuff on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (63.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thank you Eagle, I will take my laptop so I can chat here on SR.

Have a great sober evening everyone.

Congrats to 39 days Ben. Big 40 tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiteturtle View Post
I really, really want to drink wine. :/
DON'T DO IT!!! RUN! Run fast, run hard to any other non alcoholic thing you can do to take your mind off it until this passes!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hey, all! Crazy busy day but finally feeling better. Day 3 again, but looking forward to double digits again and keeping on task with all of you

Ben - 39 days! Simplicity - 41! Tootsies dad - 24! Sickofit- 1 month! Eagle - 39! You're all an inspiration to me, honestly,, it gives me hope

Jo - good for you for finding an alternative What do you like to paint? Know what? I cleaned/scrubbed the house last night myself LOL

LW - good points from The Simpsons, so true, and there's so much truth in your quote from Mitch H. Agreed the platform on SR can be difficult but I guess the bang for our Buck is pretty great, yes?

Elke - have fun on your trip! And I agree with others -- if you don't mind sharing tips that work for you I am all ears and would love to hear them

WT - good for you for staying strong!! Proud of you! I agree it can definitely be hard ... But like others here have said, the alternative eventually is harder in the long run. Hope your next day at work is better. I have a stressful job myself working with the public and it can be exhausting. But it does NOT have to be "a matter of time" - you CAN do this hugs!

Camery - good to hear from you again. If the only thing you caved on was pizza I wholeheartedly believe that is Fantastic! And the best part is you were able to enjoy it to the fullest I'd say that's success

Purple- so glad you're feeling better! Hope you continue to gain strength and energy

Hello to Flossy, Bugs, Soulshine, Maz, and anyone I may have missed

Seize the day, friends

I've had a few instances myself today when it just felt like I cannot do this life sober, so thank you to all of you here for giving me the hope that it CAN be done. I have to remember my brain can sometimes be my own worst enemy, and I have to remember that I am worth saving

Have a great day, wherever you all are today/tomorrow
Old 06-08-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

In the past I've made many commitments for a few weeks or a couple months about things in my life such as: stop spending money on this or that, exercise, doing a project, etc. Usually around this amount of time, I give up or lose interest. So I started to question today if that time will come in regards to alcohol.

Then I realized that I would have accomplished all those things without alcohol most likely. I know soberness won't cure all of life's problems, but keeping focus on this one goal will make all other things so much easier.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by SickOfIt79 View Post
I know soberness won't cure all of life's problems, but keeping focus on this one goal will make all other things so much easier.
^^^^ This. ^^^^

I try to set myself manageable daily/weekly/monthly goals in all areas of my life, but I also always keep in mind that at the end of the day there's only one goal that MUST be fulfilled--don't drink. No matter what. Doing that makes all those other goals attainable at some point.

Quitting drinking hasn't been the be-all, end-all answer to my life's problems, but it was the first and most necessary step that I had to take before I could even begin to address those other issues.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey all! I am so thankful to be able to come here and get support and motivation from u all. I wouldn't have made it as far as I have. I'm feeling better but still fighting a headache. I did get great news today. I got offered the job I interviewed for and accepted it. On to a new beginning in 2 weeks ( have to train my replacement)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the new job, purplepeopleeat! Hope your headache goes away soon.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplepeopleeat View Post
Hey all! I am so thankful to be able to come here and get support and motivation from u all. I wouldn't have made it as far as I have. I'm feeling better but still fighting a headache. I did get great news today. I got offered the job I interviewed for and accepted it. On to a new beginning in 2 weeks ( have to train my replacement)
Yay!!! Congrats on nabbing the job!!!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I found this post of Dee's (in this thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5973754 )

and I thought it was simple and powerful:

Some days all we need to do is get through it - it need not be graceful