Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 06-12-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Hi Countrygal. I worked in a library for many years. Librarians are the best people. I'm just going to try for a selection of light reading for now. I found a new Alice Hoffman book I might send and some short stories by Margaret Atwood. Those are authors I liked all my life but you might have some fresher ideas. I try to find books that got good reviews. I've often been disappointed by best sellers, most recently by Girl on a train.

Last edited by Lonelywombat67; 06-12-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-12-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Just wanted to say hello. Busy weekend. Working on the house today. Have a good one all.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplepeopleeat View Post
Hey guys. Just wanted to say hello. Busy weekend. Working on the house today. Have a good one all.
Hi purple. Great to see you back! Hope life is treating you well 😊
Old 06-12-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Hi Countrygal. I worked in a library for many years. Librarians are the best people. I'm just going to try for a selection of light reading for now. I found a new Alice Hoffman book I might send and some short stories by Margaret Atwood. Those are authors I liked all my life but you might have some fresher ideas. I try to find books that got good reviews. I've often been disappointed by best sellers, most recently by Girl on a train.
yeah, most people either loved that one or hated it, that's for sure

I can't vouch for it as I haven't read it, but because of the upcoming movie "me b4 u" by jojo moyes is pretty popular right now. Her sequel "after you" is also out right now. The authors u mentioned still are in high demand, too. She's really dark, but one of my favorite authors is Gillian Flynn. Actually, at times, disturbingly dark... I'll keep thinking...i know I have some good lists at work
Old 06-12-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I just came back here to say that this world is a tough place to stay sober in. I can't face the news that comes around seemingly every other week about a mass shooting. I was very close to one once. The worst thing is I feel powerless to do anything about it. I've done what my conscience and finances have allowed to try to fight against gun violence, but to no avail. I'm struggling against the urge to numb myself right now. The pain of the world is felt more acutely by some people I think and I am one of them.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I just came back here to say that this world is a tough place to stay sober in. I can't face the news that comes around seemingly every other week about a mass shooting. I was very close to one once. The worst thing is I feel powerless to do anything about it. I've done what my conscience and finances have allowed to try to fight against gun violence, but to no avail. I'm struggling against the urge to numb myself right now. The pain of the world is felt more acutely by some people I think and I am one of them.
I hear ya LW

R u referring to Orlando?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Yes I can't deal with it well at all. I can't do much aside from crying and feeling impotent. I miss the kind of waking sleep that alcohol gave me. The edges are so hard right now. Really hurting. On top of the many things I can't help people with right now, the outside world seems so harsh and hateful. Just one or two people are able to do so much harm. I think of the loved ones and families grieving. It just multiplies and grows. And the ignorance of the people who won't do anything. Is killing me.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hi All! Sunday evening check-in.
Congrats on 22 days WT! I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I can't think about not drinking for the rest of my life either...it's to overwhelming, nor would I even want to contemplate the success rate of my continued sobriety. Day by day for this girl.....just know you're not alone in how you're feeling. I keep trying to remind myself the bigger benefits will come. It took more than 8 years to dig myself in this hole and I know it's going to take longer than 45 days to get out of it. It's a journey.
LW- The shootings-tragic. Stay safe, your sensitivity to these things make you a light in a dark world. Don't dim your light with alcohol. Shine bright friend!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

It is certainly a horrific tragedy 😔

...and a reminder that every moment is precious...makes me glad that today I was sober and could appreciate them all with clarity, instead of living in the drunken haze which has been my norm for far too long
Old 06-12-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Opps......I forgot my train of thought....
Jo & Countrygal-Way to go on 7 days!!!
Ben-Best of luck with the blood tests tomorrow! I will be thinking of ya!
Eagle-Oma the wise, huh? lol....kind of has a ring to it
Old 06-12-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Opps......I forgot my train of thought.... Jo & Countrygal-Way to go on 7 days!!! Ben-Best of luck with the blood tests tomorrow! I will be thinking of ya! Eagle-Oma the wise, huh? lol....kind of has a ring to it
simplicity, you're so awesome!

Good luck, Ben! How's the painting going, Jo? Eagle - heart that phrase!!

Night all - "c" everyone tomorrow
Old 06-12-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Hi purple. Great to see you back! Hope life is treating you well 😊
Hey jo. Life is alright. Not ready to go back to work tomorrow. I was so busy I didn't get everything done or have any time to relax. Well off to bed guys.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! got my blood tests at 9:30 but won't get the results for days so it's not like I'll know anymore today anyway. I'm sure they will be fine though after 6 weeks of 0 alcohol they bloody better be! I wonder if the doctor will ask about my drinking or if she will just take the blood. that's what I'm more nervous about.

Have fun today everyone I'm trying to drag myself out of bed.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Morning all!
Yes Ben drag out of bed that's just the right phrase! Good luck today. You can go on there proud of your achievement no matter if the doc quizzes you.
My Monday job is a real tester for me I do freelance work on a Monday and it's pretty stressful if I'm honest but the money is so good I keep going with it. But at least I can go in sober and the weekday routine keeps me safe.
Have a great day everyone 😊
Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Morning all!
Yes Ben drag out of bed that's just the right phrase! Good luck today. You can go on there proud of your achievement no matter if the doc quizzes you.
My Monday job is a real tester for me I do freelance work on a Monday and it's pretty stressful if I'm honest but the money is so good I keep going with it. But at least I can go in sober and the weekday routine keeps me safe.
Have a great day everyone 😊
What do you do for a living jo?

I do property maintenance for children's homes. Interesting job but can be hard work hung over if the kids are around.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
What do you do for a living jo?

I do property maintenance for children's homes. Interesting job but can be hard work hung over if the kids are around.
I'm am accountant Ben. Work freelance Mondays and for a practice Tues to Thurs. Concentration is my issue when it comes to drinking. Oh and I actually love it I'm a closet geek lol 😁
Old 06-13-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Well blood tests are off now. I feel like a kid who has just sat an exam and the feeling you get when your done is like we'll it is what it is I can't do any more to make it better now. Results at the end of the week. I'm hoping for an A☆
Old 06-13-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Happy Monday Mayflies! Wishing everyone a good day!
Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I just read this on another Newcomer thread:
"you probably have to decide to do something. not drinking is a negative activity."

Whoa...this is exactly where I am today, at six weeks sober...I've quit drinking, and my thoughts are constantly on other things I need to stop doing: eating sugar, smoking...all things I need to NOT do; I'm not doing anything different or positive, just worrying over things I should quit doing, and feeling lousy because I'm still doing them. Sober, yes; doing things, not so much...

I have no desire to drink, but I'm replacing that habit with over-eating and over-smoking; I'll be 55 next month, and my current routine is not conducive to long-term health, or even long-term life! So I'm left with two more things I should NOT do. I thought I was "allowed" my remaining bad habits because I'm still early in sobriety, and close friends and relatives support that concept...but I'm not happy with myself. I wonder, even if I quit smoking and lose 50 pounds, if I ever will be...

Ugh: sorry to be an Eeyore this morning! I guess I'm just finally learning the difference between sobriety and recovery, and this probably isn't the thread for sharing that; if I'm totally honest, I'll admit I didn't post it as a new thread in the Newcomers' section because I'd surely get great advice for actions that I don't feel like taking...in fact: (copy, paste)...have a good sober Monday, Mayflies! - Arp
Old 06-13-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Another day in paradise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (16.1 KB, 29 views)