View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Arpeggioh

I just read this on another Newcomer thread:
"you probably have to decide to do something. not drinking is a negative activity."

Whoa...this is exactly where I am today, at six weeks sober...I've quit drinking, and my thoughts are constantly on other things I need to stop doing: eating sugar, smoking...all things I need to NOT do; I'm not doing anything different or positive, just worrying over things I should quit doing, and feeling lousy because I'm still doing them. Sober, yes; doing things, not so much...

I have no desire to drink, but I'm replacing that habit with over-eating and over-smoking; I'll be 55 next month, and my current routine is not conducive to long-term health, or even long-term life! So I'm left with two more things I should NOT do. I thought I was "allowed" my remaining bad habits because I'm still early in sobriety, and close friends and relatives support that concept...but I'm not happy with myself. I wonder, even if I quit smoking and lose 50 pounds, if I ever will be...

Ugh: sorry to be an Eeyore this morning! I guess I'm just finally learning the difference between sobriety and recovery, and this probably isn't the thread for sharing that; if I'm totally honest, I'll admit I didn't post it as a new thread in the Newcomers' section because I'd surely get great advice for actions that I don't feel like taking...in fact: (copy, paste)...have a good sober Monday, Mayflies! - Arp