Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 17

Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Happy mother's day to all the moms, toughest job there is!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Good morning Joy. Happy Mothers Day All. Moms Rule! They really do.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Happy Mothers Day to all moms, including moms of furballs!

Having some struggles w depression and urges so been MIA but the talk of Ben and Jerry's lightened me up. Going to try something new. I'm usually stuck on the Half Baked or Cookie Dough. Will report back later on the flavor
Old 05-08-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

A few of my toenails still have little cracks on them too PHRD, two of them gave up completely and I'm regrowing them. We'll have super sober toenails in no time! (That makes it sound like our toenails have a drinking problem doesn't it?) It's great that we're showing our AVs who's boss, we're getting stronger. That morbidity fact is terrifying, I'm not even going to add up how much time I might have knocked off my life.

Hope you got through today okay Amazingjoy.

I'm looking forward to your report Sadie, I bought Doritos today over B&J. Which is stupid considering I keep complaining about how hot it is. Keep us close when you're struggling if it helps.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hello all. It's been a busy weekend! Wanted to check in really quickly and wish all mothers a happy Mothers Day! . Still sober.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Really good to hear from you CNGY.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Quick check in. Will post more tomorrow, talked to him. Think we got things straight.

Happy mother's day all super sober mom's! We are awesome!
Old 05-08-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

I don't know how I avoided fingernail damage. I think most of the damage was done to my skin... I just didn't look very good...puffy, bloated, red skin. I was a mess.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

thats good news, 360.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Hope all is well 360.

I barely ate while I was drinking, some days I wouldn't eat at all and just pass out. Must have really messed with me in terms of vitamins, my hair was falling out and I guess it would explain my toenail loss?

Guys, I'm having a bit of dilemma. I've been asked to be the main speaker at one of my regular meetings, but I'm not working the AA steps and don't have a sponsor. Some of the people on SR don't think I would be suitable for it. I've been feeling uncomfortable in AA for a while because of it. I'm not sure whether to decline and start attending SMART meetings. I just don't feel comfortable in AA.
I could just not mention the steps and sponsorship in my share, but a lot of AAers would see me as still being in the "what happened" stage of my recovery. Would be good to hear some of your opinions before I decide what I'm gonna do...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi OT

I think you'd be an awesome speaker, steps or not - but I have absolutely no experience with AA, so I can't help.

I hope the replies in the 12 step forum have helped you make up your mind one way or the other

D
Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Hope all is well 360.

I barely ate while I was drinking, some days I wouldn't eat at all and just pass out. Must have really messed with me in terms of vitamins, my hair was falling out and I guess it would explain my toenail loss?

Guys, I'm having a bit of dilemma. I've been asked to be the main speaker at one of my regular meetings, but I'm not working the AA steps and don't have a sponsor. Some of the people on SR don't think I would be suitable for it. I've been feeling uncomfortable in AA for a while because of it. I'm not sure whether to decline and start attending SMART meetings. I just don't feel comfortable in AA.
I could just not mention the steps and sponsorship in my share, but a lot of AAers would see me as still being in the "what happened" stage of my recovery. Would be good to hear some of your opinions before I decide what I'm gonna do...
OT, what's the "what happened" stage? I'm curious, because that sounds like me... I'm still confused and shocked at what happened to me...I really didn't see it coming.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I'm still on the fence. I'll probably do it and just not mention the steps at all, see how that goes down. I really do need to try a SMART meeting soon though.

OOTT - I THINK in terms of AA the "what happened" stage refers to where you were before you started recovery. Some AAers wouldn't see me as having entered recovery as I'm not working the steps, so I'd still be in that stage and that's all I'd be able to share about. I don't agree with that.

Are there any meetings you can get to OOTT? I found listening to other people going through similar experiences really helped with the shock of it all, and made me feel less alone. Having a read of the newcomers threads here is also beneficial, but listening to people in person has definitely been a big help for me. I guess it's like normalising it in a way.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our Stories of Recovery Forum was started by Carol, a long time AA member.

The shares there follow what I guess is the preferred outline?

What it was like, what happened, what it's like now.
OOTT, try and not let some cravings doubt yourself too much. You underestimated the relentlessness of this thing - but you're in a good spot because you didn't give in.

Now you know what to expect and you can build a plan for if it happens again - any ideas on that score?

D
Old 05-09-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

Lots of talk of plans and working on plans. I've been thinking I need to do something "else" too. Maybe each of us could share what our current plans are, what we've been doing. And help add to each others, offer suggestions?

I know there are lots of plans and ideas but maybe since we are each others support here.... We could offer something? Just a thought.

I'll post more at work later. Hope everyone is having a great sober day so far. 92.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I'll have a read of some of them when I have a free moment.

Good idea 360.
I write down a review of my day and myself after dinner. Sometimes I don't write much, especially if I'm busy or tired. As long as I get the gist of it down. It's important to be honest. Writing it down can offer a new way of looking at a situation (e.g. did I have a role to play in something bad that happened to me?) or just means I won't have all these worries whirling round in my head when I try to sleep. It makes me less likely to drink over issues.
Going to regular meetings, and checking in on SR is also a must. I check in with the class, ask for my 24 hours on the 24 hours thread, post my day count in the count thread, and read over posts in the newcomers section. I really need to get back into the habit of posting my daily gratitude.

I picked up an application form for my course today, filled it out, and sent it off with a personal statement. Doesn't look like there'll be any issues with my getting on to the course. I'll find out soon enough I guess. Also got a phone call back from that job I went for. They gave the position to an internal candidate but are offering me another position because they really liked me. Not too sure about the other position but I'm touched that they liked me.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Just got invited to an interview at a bookshop in 3 days time! That would be so much better, thinking of politely declining that job I really don't want. Hmmm.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

My Plan:

1. Dont Drink!
2. Check into SR to reaffirm commitment not to drink daily
3. Avoid situations that are heavy with alcohol
4. Focus on health and diet
5. Just suffer through it

It works but it is lacking. It is not built for the long haul. It does not address bouts of depression and emotional issues that accompany the quit I am finding. It does address the stress and anxiety that led me to drink.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
My Plan:

1. Dont Drink!

It works but it is lacking. It is not built for the long haul. It does not address bouts of depression and emotional issues that accompany the quit I am finding. It does address the stress and anxiety that led me to drink.
Hi Badger...nice avatar!

Curious...I think you have a very busy schedule. For #4 in your plan, have you been able to fit exercise into your days?

Do you have any activities that you get to look forward to?

Do you have any social activities where you can enjoy being with others and laughing?

I'm asking because during the beginning it seems to be mostly focused on what NOT to do or what to avoid.

I think the next step is to find new things to do...things we may have once enjoyed and have long forgotten about or new things that we have never even thought to do.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
My Plan:

1. Dont Drink!

Mine's eggs zactly the same, except I taunt my AV a little by still going out. The Badger is right, it's not designed for the long haul. I can't see myself going to meetings, however, for a variety of reasons.