Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hi Heather I am new to this sight. Keep up the good work I also started sobriety April 4 and can't believe I made it this far after 12 yrs. I stopped cold turkey and still hanging on by the grace of God. It's an uphill battle for sure keep it up
Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

It does get better. With time. I've come to accept with my last go round of almost 7 weeks that being sober and being miserable is still better than being drunk and miserable.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Hi, i am on day 3. I am doing ok as far as not wanting a drink but personal stuff has been very challenging so I thought joining the class was a good idea.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Just checking in, another 24 sober hours later. Welcome newcomers!

Peace ��
Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightshade71 View Post
Hi, i am on day 3. I am doing ok as far as not wanting a drink but personal stuff has been very challenging so I thought joining the class was a good idea.
Welcome Nightshade
Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
It does get better. With time. I've come to accept with my last go round of almost 7 weeks that being sober and being miserable is still better than being drunk and miserable.
Well said, Deliza ... Thank you for saying that. I needed that reminder today
Old 04-13-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Springsun View Post
Hi Heather I am new to this sight. Keep up the good work I also started sobriety April 4 and can't believe I made it this far after 12 yrs. I stopped cold turkey and still hanging on by the grace of God. It's an uphill battle for sure keep it up
Welcome, Springsun - I also started on April 4th. And did so cold turkey. Man, if I never have to go through that again I'll be happy!!! (Note to self here to remember I said that, as I'm sure the time will come when I'll conveniently "forget" how awful that was)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kara888 View Post
I've been wanting to give up for more than a year but I was always scared that I would not be able to manage without alcohol, the thought of never having another drink petrified me. I don't know why but I don't feel scared any more. Alcohol has nothing to offer except misery. My throat is so sore today.
Welcome Kara. Why the sore throat? Sick? Or just part of the process? I had stiff muscles for days...
Old 04-13-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

[QUOTE=Kara888;5902990...I was always scared that I would not be able to manage without alcohol, the thought of never having another drink petrified me.

.[/QUOTE]

That is your Addictive Voice talking to you. Recognize it for what it is. You are the boss, not your AV.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
I've gotta rework my plan. Right now I'm going hour by hour. Imay have crossed the dependence line again. So far so good today. I was getting drunk before I finished my first drink and feeling withdrawals in about 4 hours time It is definitely not worth it. There was no joy to be had a all. I asked av flat out how far it intended to take me. It shrugged and said, you should know by now. Till you're dead. So. Game over while I still have a player left in the race.
So, so glad you're here with us Deliza!!! Sending giant hugs and support
Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Welcome Kara! Thank you for sharing your story. Sounded pretty much like me, right down to the title "Day 1". I didn't get arrested for drinking and driving. IDK how I avoided it. I was normally drunk in the car with an open container to boot. I had a bottle of rum or vodka in the car all the time. Go all in or fold. Give it everything. You CAN do this! I know, because I was you 1year ago.....Drinking bottles of vodka as much as entire families drink cola. Wondering just how bad do things have to get before I wake up? You are quit now. Take a sigh of relief. The madness is over. One step at a time. One day at a time. Today...the only thing on your list is to simply not drink and make a huge list of all the reasons alcohol has harmed you. List all the things that alcohol has done to you. List all those things you did while drunk that you regret. Write it all down. See how many problems listed as a result of drinking. See if you can list over 100. That is your motivator. Some of it is very motivating now, others will be later. When that's done... Make a list of the good that alcohol has brought to your life. Think hard about it. Now that list is the list of lies that your addiction is going to use to make you cave.
Can't thank you enough for this great advice, Incontrol. Sounds like my next homework assignment.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Kara- I see. The money you save from not drinking will add up quickly! Maybe plan something you have always wanted to do and start saving. welcome back Delizadee. I have been procrastinating today. I did exercise 40 minutes and I had a good lunch but that has been about it. I better go tackle the work I have to do.
Congrats on the exercise, Midwest! I'm not quite there yet... Still fatigue pretty easily. But kudos to you on getting in 40 minutes
Old 04-13-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Has anyone seen ChickChick lately? I'm worried...
I have not... Do we think maybe one of us should try to message her? Not sure how all that works... Hope she's o.k.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Just checking in...caught up with posts today. Glad to see our new classmates...welcome!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

count me in, please

Id love to join this class, and try once again. Im a bit ashamed, and very nervous, but I need to be a part of a group. Ive retried so many times, never make it very long. I really am committed to wanting permanent sobriety. So, day one has begun. May it be my last one.

Thanks all.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Id love to join this class, and try once again. Im a bit ashamed, and very nervous, but I need to be a part of a group. Ive retried so many times, never make it very long. I really am committed to wanting permanent sobriety. So, day one has begun. May it be my last one. Thanks all.
Welcome Maximus
Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Welcome Kara. Why the sore throat? Sick? Or just part of the process? I had stiff muscles for days...
I always get a sore throat after drinking too much vodka, it comes from the alcohol drying out the throat tissues. I've been doing some research today on health problems associated with drinking too much. It's really scary what can happen if we don't take control and let alcohol take over.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Welcome Maximus
Thanks CG!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Hey all,late check in for me cuz I spent the morning reading Mera's rehab thread and didn't get a chance to post,doing ok,a little brain foggy and tired but I think its hormones, sounds like everyone is doing great😊
Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kara888 View Post
I always get a sore throat after drinking too much vodka, it comes from the alcohol drying out the throat tissues. I've been doing some research today on health problems associated with drinking too much. It's really scary what can happen if we don't take control and let alcohol take over.
Yikes! V was my poison of choice... I shudder to think what problems are lying beneath my surface - eek!