Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 14

Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Sorry for the long post, but I actually had a thought (a rare occurrence!).

Confession of a people pleaser: From way back, I have tended to go along with what other people want to do. I like people. I sympathize with their interests and activities. As a result, I have many friends. Here's the rub: how can someone like me give up partying when almost everyone I know wants to party?

I had this thought. My tendency to cave in to the wishes of others can be used to my own advantage. The one friend I have ignored throughout is my own physical body. I have dragged my body through hell without asking what it wanted. But now I am listening. I am listening to my body, finally, as the friend I really should be listening to. My body wants sleep, hydration, nutrition, exercise. But, most importantly, my body wants freedom from strong poisons. I can use my tendency to go along with peer pressure to cure myself. The body knows. The time for me to listen to its wisdom is now.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I'm in for 24.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paix Amour View Post
Im thinking I might join April thread but kept posting a bit in here too.
Hi Paix Amour, I think I may follow your lead on this too...my short term goal is to make it all the way through the end of April making it to 40 days so maybe that is a good class for me to participate in too.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I know, for me, that I just CANNOT have another day 1. I know how the story ends when I pick up that first drink.....it could be YEARS before I attempt again. Getting too old for that now. I'm officially middle-aged.

I'm in for 24.

Yes, AmazingJ, join us! You are always insightful.
Mel--what you said is EXACTLY me....

Be good to yourselves,
Lee
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

In for 24
Old 04-03-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
I know, for me, that I just CANNOT have another day 1. I know how the story ends when I pick up that first drink.....it could be YEARS before I attempt again. Getting too old for that now. I'm officially middle-aged.
Hi Lee - I hear you! At my age, time is not on my side. I am at an age where things could get a lot worse fast if I do not stay off of the merry-go-round. Thank you for posting.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I am definitely joining you guys for 24.

OT- what would you do an apprenticeship in?
Old 04-03-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SansaS View Post
OT- what would you do an apprenticeship in?
I've been looking at admin apprenticeships, I'm really not keen on working in retail again.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Sorry for the long post, but I actually had a thought (a rare occurrence!).

Confession of a people pleaser: From way back, I have tended to go along with what other people want to do. I like people. I sympathize with their interests and activities. As a result, I have many friends. Here's the rub: how can someone like me give up partying when almost everyone I know wants to party?

I had this thought. My tendency to cave in to the wishes of others can be used to my own advantage. The one friend I have ignored throughout is my own physical body. I have dragged my body through hell without asking what it wanted. But now I am listening. I am listening to my body, finally, as the friend I really should be listening to. My body wants sleep, hydration, nutrition, exercise. But, most importantly, my body wants freedom from strong poisons. I can use my tendency to go along with peer pressure to cure myself. The body knows. The time for me to listen to its wisdom is now.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PHRD View Post
Oh OT I was thinking of you and your job hunt. This may not be what you are ulitimately looking for but could give you some amazing relevant computer skills. I can't post the link but its called Upwork. It used to be called ODesk. Lots of virtual jobs. I worked doing that for a couple years and now have contactors who work for me on there. It takes a bit to work up experience, reviews and pay you can get but if you are looking for a job it may be worth trying. If you like it you csn do it as a second job for extra money later. :-)
Thank you for suggesting that, I just signed up. I'll definitely have a play about with it sometime soon.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

In for 24 . Happy Sunday all!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

CNGY
Old 04-03-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
CNGY
Hey soul sista!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I'm off to bed now guys, got a lot of walking to do tomorrow. I keep getting waves of feeling sorry for myself but overall I'm pretty relaxed. My life is pretty good at the moment, no use focusing on the negatives. 47 days sober and counting. Goodnight everyone, catch you in the morning.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Good Morning class

Day 2.

Its 10.30am here and my 24 hours is going well. Im almost half way through. Mind you most that time was spent asleep and the rest was/is the morning, and Ive never drunk in the morning. The test for me will be tonight.

I slept a little bit better last night. Still not a solid sleep though. Woke up every 2 hours or thereabouts from the sweats and tossing and turning and thirsty. Im not going to have a nap during the day today (to try and catch up on any lost sleep) because I want to be nice and tired for bedtime in a hope that a get a good solid sleep tonight.

The first 2 or 3 nights after heavy drinking are terrible for me....just terrible. Tonight will be night 3.

I hope everybody is having a great day.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leezer View Post
I hear ya too! Its day 2 for me and feel terrible after my Saturday night bash. And before that I was sober almost 3 weeks! 1 night of drinking has really hammered me, and I didn't drink THAT much on Saturday night. This tells me my body CANNOT handle it, its had enough.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm just checking in. Today I went to book club and stayed sober. In the past book club was always wine club pretty much. I originally was not going to go at all because I was terrified I would not be able to stay sober. I prefer to just be honest with people and own that I'm not drinking rather than trying to come up with excuses why I'm not drinking. I just couldn't picture myself actually doing it for real though. So far I've only really discussed it with my husband and one close relative. So this was my first social outing. And primarily the only reason I know and met these women was through the bar scene. I mentally tormented myself about whether or not to go, whether or not to drink or face up to this sobriety thing if I did go. Whether or not these women still had a place in my life if I'm no longer drinking.

Well I went and decided I have to face up to this and also I've been pretty isolated and avoiding everything for almost 2 months I just wanted to interact with some people. I'm an introvert by nature but even I need some socialization once in awhile.

Long story short, I didn't drink, and it wasn't a big deal. No one even cared. They were only mildly curious since they know me as a drinker. i had a good time and that was that.

Posting this story in case anyone else is anxious about their social life. Honestly I built it up so big in my head and it turned out to be nothing at all.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi Oakleaf

Good on you for staying sober at book club.

We are urged to to avoid or at least limit socialization for the first year if we know alcohol will be around, and try and find sober outlets like cafes or walks or a movie etc. But each person knows their inner strength and what they may be able to handle. I can say though, there have been a lot of members post on here that they are going to a work function or party or wherever and they feel strong enough to go and stay sober, however many of them did end up drinking. Some we knew heard from again. Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to go to book if I knew wine would be there. What works for some may not work for all.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Hiy'all, class!

I'm back from Puerto Rico! It was great, just way too short! I survived the drinking/ party culture there, unscathed. I felt a twinge of 'drat!' at not having some wine while being bumped into 1st class, but otherwise no real cravings. It does seem a bit strange [only to me?], but no one seems bothered by our lack of drinking [as a couple]. It feels like being Mormon all over again… except for the coffee, LOL.

Soooo, what's happened here with the Febs, in a nutshell? Did Co3 go all French on us while I was away? ;-)
Old 04-03-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Nature Lover & Plantoholic

Oh!! First thing we found upon our return today was my cat G, who has been missing for 3 months! Yaaayyy!!

It truly feels like a miracle. I'd lost all hope. The teen who cat sits said this news made her whole week.