Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 14

Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of wisdom Jeni. You cooments are helpful to me.

Stay the course JL. Vent and speak out but stay the course. Based on my readings and words from Dee, Jeni and many others who have been at this stage, it is common but it goes away.

Angie and Del - with hope things are better today.

Good to hear from you PA. Keep us posted on your son.

OK I am going to back a good old blackberry pie. Or maybe a razzleberry (raspberry and blueberry). Served with homemade vanilla ice cream. Badgers like berries. Especially after eating a rat.

Day 59
Old 04-02-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Woo Hoo to 59! Tomorrows the big 60! Jeni I think I missed congratulating you on 60? It takes me a long time to remember who is who but I'm getting there. The cake was amazing. Super sweet though, I couldnt finish the piece I got.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Um, hi hoping I can join this class. Last drink was Feb 13th. I don't have time to read and post more till later on.....

Hi everyone!!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Welcome to the class oakleaf!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

60 days tomorrow PHRD? That's awesome!

EDIT: And Badger? You guys are doing great.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well done for coming back kittycat, what are you going to do differently this time?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hi peeps hope evryone is ok! Just a quickie.

Ive been reading a book called Under The Influence - A guide to the myths and realities of Alcoholism.

You simply have to read it! It explains how alcohol affects all of our organs n then how to beat it. Its good for family n friends too. Its definitely put me off having another drink thats for sure! Ive read the whole book in one day lazing on the couch but managed to wash pots lol.

God bless xx
Old 04-02-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I read an interesting interview with former heroin addict, Tracey Helton Mitchell on the Fix today. She was the subject of the 1999 HBO documentary Black Tar Heroin. Her discussion about change and growth during recovery is something I found helpful and inspirational; some of you may also find it helpful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5883864
Old 04-02-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Time2. And good to hear from you spadge.

I'm off to bed now, got an early morning meeting to get to tomorrow. Then I'm climbing a tower before returning home. Casual. Goodnight.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

How is the job search coming OT? Any leads?

Get up Kittycat and keep moving forward with us.

FYI. I had a cold too this past week so add me to that list.

I got my pie fixings.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

PHRD congrats on upcoming 60.
I'm still in a psycho sh---y mood. Don't know why. Don't know if this normal to be so god awful stressed out at this time sober. It's very unnatural and I'm hating it. Kids, everything , on my nerves. Feel like can't get a leg up.
Actually I think some of y'all have described these feelings about 30-40 days if I recall correctly.
I feel for you. I'd smoke crack right now if I had it !

Never done " hard drugs", but this feeling sucks for real !
Old 04-02-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welcome oakleaf!
Thx for all the encouragement all. JL we should head over to PHRDs for some of that sinful cake

Also Time 2 rise, that recovering addict Tracey Helton whatever (sorry I forget her name) was on fresh air with terry gross on NPR, you should look up her interview! Inspiring lady. If she can get sober after living on the streets and a heroin addiction I know the rest of us can do it
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Tracey Helton Mitchell. That's it
Old 04-02-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd smoke crack right now if I had it !
I know you're not serious, but dude, come on. Snap out of it. Thats how the AV gets you...it starts ridiculous and then whittles down the idea til it becomes plausible.

think about the good things going on - think about how you're really doing an amazing thing right now
D
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

No Im only on day 32-33 or something. Was congratulating badger. I will make to 60 in 27 or so days though! lol For those waivering and battling and stressing - stick to the plan for 60 days and I promise you will feel great. Dont slip. It feels horrible. :-)
Old 04-02-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Also Time 2 rise, that recovering addict Tracey Helton whatever (sorry I forget her name) was on fresh air with terry gross on NPR, you should look up her interview! Inspiring lady. If she can get sober after living on the streets and a heroin addiction I know the rest of us can do it
Thanks for the heads up Kit. I saw your post just before my daily walk, and I downloaded Tracy’s Fresh Air episode and listened to part of it while I was exercising.

I really like her perspective and views. She avoids speaking with stereotypical recovery platitudes and clichés (which are often untrue and can be incredibly annoying IMO), and she really speaks from her heart with original thoughts and speech. It's refreshing to hear someone in long-term recovery who isn't speaking in warmed-over recovery slogans and ideas. There is realness to her that I find lacking in recovery conversation, and it’s a sincerity that really resonates with me. I don’t usually read recovery biographies, but I’m adding her book to my list.

Her NPR Fresh Air interview can be found at the link below. Scroll down to the March 8th Podcast titled Recovering Addict Finds 'Hope after Heroin'.

Fresh Air : NPR
Old 04-02-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome! Spadge, I've been reading Under the Influence as well. It's a bit dated but interesting nonetheless. I've also read Jack Trimpey's Small Book, and Allen Carr's Easyway to Control Alcohol; both really resonate and fit my attitude about Quitting. Will definitely be checking out the Tracy Helton interview as well, thanks for the recommendation.

My AV has been very loud the past few days. I plan to stay close to SR and read as much as I can about recovery through the weekend in hopes that it will quiet down.

Also I came across a blog called Hip Sobriety that some of you might find interesting. I thought she had a lot of good posts. A lot of her writing resonated with me. I don't have a link, but if you google hip sobriety it will come up.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
PHRD congrats on upcoming 60.
I'm still in a psycho sh---y mood. Don't know why. Don't know if this normal to be so god awful stressed out at this time sober. It's very unnatural and I'm hating it. Kids, everything , on my nerves. Feel like can't get a leg up.
Actually I think some of y'all have described these feelings about 30-40 days if I recall correctly.
I feel for you. I'd smoke crack right now if I had it !

Never done " hard drugs", but this feeling sucks for real !
JL, do you ever feel you need to make some very serious and significant life changes (beyond just getting sober)? I'm specifically referring to your marriage and perhaps your job?

I'll be honest with you; I avoid reading your posts because I find them hard to read. Honestly, it sounds like your marriage and family life is pure drudgery, if not torturous. So I find myself feeling for you, but I'm unable to offer any decent advice. So, to avoid my frustration from not being able to help, I usually just skip over your posts and let the other February members offer wisdom and guidance.

Really, getting sober seems to be the least of your problems. Am I wrong about this? I honestly hope I am and that my perspective is just skewed.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
Um, hi hoping I can join this class. Last drink was Feb 13th. I don't have time to read and post more till later on.....

Hi everyone!!
Welcome oakleaf. You can certainly join this class.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

This has nothing to do with anything important but. I just so badly wanted to respond to the first three threads in the newcomers forum so they'd read in the following order:

So... I got married yesterday.

Am I making a mistake?

Sex addiction, maybe?

I couldn't help it... I had to share that giggle with someone.