Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 04-04-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

This is day 11 and so far, so good. My staff outing went well last night - we didn't escape from the room but it was a lot of fun trying.

I am going into work a little late today - I wouldn't be going at all as I am feeling pretty under the weather but I have a new person starting so a few hours of orientation it is....

rah555 - that list is quite something to read and I see myself in a lot of it. Thanks for sharing. I started my own list, one morning after a particularly bad night, that I keep in my phone and sometimes when I am struggling I pull it up and just read it over

Happy Monday!!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Weekends are a challenge for me. It is very important that I make it through this coming weekend without drinking. Friday we are going to dinner to celebrate my dad s birthday. That should be a problem. That just leaves Saturday. I am grounding myself.
It's funny you mention this. I was recently thinking how strange it was that most people dread Mondays but I kind of look forward to them. The workweek, with its added structure and built in responsibilities, is actually easier for me to manage than the weekend.

So here I am, Monday morning, making a nice breakfast and planning my work week - relieved that I've made it through another weekend.

Another positive is that it's Masters week! "A tradition unlike any other."
Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Good day to everyone, hope we're all having a great Monday. I had a slip Saturday but I'm not going to let it get me down. I'm back and I'm strong. I appreciate everybody's help :-)
Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by immri View Post
Hi casey, and all my lovely classmates, thanks for checking. I'm doing ok 2pm here still sober. Not gonna lie I've had thoughts about running off to just buy one bottle of wine since no one in the house will be home for hours, and you know what, as insane as it is the really horrible time I just had with injuries and destruction of so many relationships and the trip to the hospital(all in just a few days?!) isn't enough to stop alcohol seeming like it would help.
Sick hey?
Trying to distract myself by doing healthy things for my body.
I had horribly low blood sugar and too much acid in my blood from dehydration / not eating for 3 or 4 days, so I'm trying to distract myself with getting food in me. I've made a chicken noodle soup and a fresh ciabatta loaf so far, and just cooking/ eating that and watching my guilty pleasure - disaster movies - I've kept myself from going to the bottle shop.

I'm meant to go to the post office actually but I don't think it's the best idea to leave the house alone right now, I might have to go tomorrow.
Hey immri. I didn't realise there was another Aussie on here (actually I'm a Pom but I've been here for the best part of a decade so I reckon I just about count by now).

Aussie Netflix is a shocker. There's almost nothing on there. Better than Foxtel though, $ for $.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

7:30am - Good Morning Everyone, I did everything I said I would do yesterday and I am exhausted but today is surgery day for my husband. It's going to be a long long day but at least he will be out of pain within the next few days. I am feeling very overwhelmed and I am going to bring the IPad to the hospital so I can work on putting in a couple of applications. I am going to stop checking my email so much since I think this is adding to my stress level. I just need a few calls for interviews as I feel this is slowing down my recovery just a bit. It's so hard not to think about popping a pill to make things easier to deal with. I know it's not right but it kills me inside to know I have no identity right now and really no place to go:-(.

I noticed we have lots of new peeps so welcome to the forum!!!

Have an awesome day everyone!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Goals for today-
No drinking
Walk 10,000 steps
Go to the gym (elliptical)
Eat healthy, only 1 snack at night
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.mi believe I'm on day9 now. No AV or desir for anything at all even. I am on some strong pain meds though due to my surgery last Tuesday. I called my nurse and she told me to see my primary since he is open for a bit on sat and he told me I had an infection, so he put me on antibiotics. Now here we are Monday am am in so much pain I can't even get up down alone. I'm not sure id tou can go 14 days clean than have one drinking day and have dt's again. That's kinda how my primary explained. So I would think this is all post op pain and weed interactions with meds. They aren't as affective anymore and just make me sleep. Honestly though I think I will associate this pain it's alcohol. Makes me feel sick to even have a drink.going to try and get back in with the doc the did the operation with ASAP. She sounded disappointed with me after she did the operation and talked with the nurses who knew I was recovering because everyone knew but her. Than while in the hospital they send people in there to ask about my drinking and kids and the whole situation. Kind of annoyed because I have been asked the same questions over and over again. I would never put my kids in harm. I guess all the problems I'm having is what I get for drinking all those years. Not the bet health to begin with from the alcohol.
Sorry I'm done I just needed to get that out
I have had 4 surgeries prior to this and never felt this horrible
Glad AV isn't in the picture
Old 04-04-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Horsestaple- oh man I know, it's crazy how little with have on there in comparison to US or UK. Definitely agree re Foxtel though. Plus the ads drive me insane.
And my entire family are poms too 😉 I'm the first one born here

Rah - thank you for sharing that list, I'm going to do something similar. And good goals!

I'm off to bed guys, got through the day sober and feel a little better. Hope you all have a good day.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Day 5 and finally feeling human again after that tummy bug. Being sick like that really makes you appreciate your health and when you feel good. It actually reinforced my commitment to sobriety. It's a rainy day here and the house is a disaster so guess I will be taking care of that today.

Clearlyheaded, I was supposed to get bloodwork done this morning too, but am putting it off since I was so sick. I hear you on the AV showing up with all of it's pathetic lies. Mine kept saying if my bloodwork came back ok then I could continue drinking. Yeah right. Just keep remembering it's all lies. It wants to take everything from you, including your life. Stay strong and come here if you need us.

Hope you all have a wonderful Monday!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Way to go on 1 week, Gardengirl!!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Good morning, class. Have a sober Monday!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kwhite View Post
7:30am - Good Morning Everyone, I did everything I said I would do yesterday and I am exhausted but today is surgery day for my husband. It's going to be a long long day but at least he will be out of pain within the next few days. I am feeling very overwhelmed and I am going to bring the IPad to the hospital so I can work on putting in a couple of applications. I am going to stop checking my email so much since I think this is adding to my stress level. I just need a few calls for interviews as I feel this is slowing down my recovery just a bit. It's so hard not to think about popping a pill to make things easier to deal with. I know it's not right but it kills me inside to know I have no identity right now and really no place to go:-(.

I noticed we have lots of new peeps so welcome to the forum!!!

Have an awesome day everyone!!!
Hope your day gets better, maybe try some games on your iPad to keep your mind busy. I go on like puzzles and mass download some and play everyone and if they suck delete the, thanked up,some time
Old 04-04-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Morning class. Had a stupid drinking dream last night that had me in a panic that I actually drank. And then I woke up with a pounding headache. Boo. Aside from alcohol, weather is my biggest headache trigger, and it's been crazy weather here. Rain, wind, snow. Temps in the 30s one day and temps in the 60s the next. No wonder my head hurts. Hopefully the Advil and Diet Coke combo will kick in shortly.

Immri - keep hanging on. No matter the lies AV tells you, I know you know alcohol will make everything exponentially worse.

Keets - I'm sorry you are having post-op complications. Hope you are fully on the mend quickly.

Fablea - hope your kiddo is feeling better soon, and enjoys your tattoo session. Rah - I like your list. Puts in per peacetime how much we lose due to drinking. To everyone else, have a great Monday! I'll be in periodically to check in and read throughout the day.

Ladybug - glad you are feeling better!

Kwhite - hang in there. I know it's stressful to look for work. It can be downright depressing. Just remember, things will fall into place when the right opportunity comes along. Just keep putting yourself out there. That's the best you can do.

Samantha - the escape room sounds like fun! I'd love to do one of those!

Kayak - glad you came back right away. Keep fighting!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Dang typos in my post. Trying to reply to folks on my phone and add individual replies before the 15 minute edit window is up. Sorry if that was hard to follow.

Rah - I meant that your list really puts things in perspective

Fabela - I meant I hope YOU enjoy your tattoo session, not your kiddo
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
What I get from drinking- Socialization Escape Stress relief Feel like I fit in What it takes from me- My health Time - even though the episode only lasts a few hours, it takes me days to recover Time with friends and family Friends - I've lost friends or potential bc of drinking Experiences-spend a lot of time recovering. Not been fully present at events bc of being hungover My work has been affected Weight gain-I think I stretched my stomach Self respect - I've done some stupid things while drunk Money Self esteem Wow!
Thank you for this list rah. It's very helpful to me...especially this morning as I sit in the airport headed off to a business trip. The only time worse for me than weekends as far drinking temptation, is a business trip. Glad I came here to my phone instead of the airport bar. I really wanted a Bloody Mary and now...not so much.

So THANK YOU!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Quick check in. Have appt in hour. Committed to staying sober today. Liked the poem Horsetaple. Hit a chord with me. Going to google later. Thinking & praying for your hubs Kwhite.

Clearly headed, trusting your lab results are normal.
Hope everyone has a good Mon. See you all later.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Kwhite View Post
7:30am - I know it's not right but it kills me inside to know I have no identity right now and really no place to go:-(
(((Kwhite))). You are carrying a lot.

You always have an identity. Who you are has nothing to do with your job or all the daily hassles life puts us through. Sounds like you are handling this with grace and smarts...and that's who you are.

A friend once shared a quote with me and I am likely not going to say it just right but here goes. A bird sits on the branch of a tree, not because she doesn't think the branch won't break, but because she knows that even if it does, she has the wings to fly.

Sounds like you have a plan, staying sober and are making great choices - oh look...wings!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by clearlyheaded View Post
AV is already pestering me about tomorrow. I have my blood work in the afternoon. AV is telling me that it'll be okay to have a drink tomorrow night because it won't affect the results. Ugh.
When I've slipped...I pretty much knew I would a day in advance. My AV isn't very smart...lots of advance notice because she knows how to talk me into bad choices. Logic wins over the AV every single time though. Drinking won't affect the blood results but it will do greater harm to YOU.

Hope your blood work comes out well!!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Hope you all are having a great start to this week. My sobriety calculator tells me I'm on Day 27 today... Getting closer to 30 days and then I think I'll start counting months rather than the day thing. Easier for me to keep track of.

Crazy weather here in Northern Illinois... 75 yesterday and only a high of 41 expected today. No wonder I'm feeling sick. Hoping the allergy meds kick in soon.

I made it through the weekend without too much of a problem. The AV kicked in a little last night... especially when I'm starving and the gas grill ran out of propane right before our steaks were done! Suffered a small panic attack and wanted to have one of Hubby's beers, but luckily he had another tank on hand and was able to finish grilling fast!! Whew... that was a close one.

Hope everyone has a safe and sober Monday. Hugs to all
Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
(((Kwhite))). You are carrying a lot.

You always have an identity. Who you are has nothing to do with your job or all the daily hassles life puts us through. Sounds like you are handling this with grace and smarts...and that's who you are.

A friend once shared a quote with me and I am likely not going to say it just right but here goes. A bird sits on the branch of a tree, not because she doesn't think the branch won't break, but because she knows that even if it does, she has the wings to fly.

Sounds like you have a plan, staying sober and are making great choices - oh look...wings!
Perfectly said, Lillian.

Kwhite, you know we're all here with you. Sending you good vibes to get through the next few days.