Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-31-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Hi Guys

In a few hours I'll move this thread to our Daily Support forum.

Nothing else changes with the thread - all you guys stay together and keep posting as usual.

The thread simply moves so that the new current month - the Class of April 2016 Support Thread - can start up in Newcomers main forum.

until then though - our last part was here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-5-a-22.html

D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whew!!! I didn't know where we went when I just started to post! Thx Dee!!!

Being sober is boring sometimes. I've done everything sober for 8 days now. Our house is clean, all meals are cooked, pets are taken care of, laundry done, I have been exercising, the kids are taken care of etc. BUT sometimes my brain says "This is boring! You need some excitement in your life! Life is short...!" Ugh.

Does anyone else have those thoughts?

My AV is trying soooooo hard to keep ahold of me! Grrrr....
Old 03-31-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I posted this a few hours ago but just wanted to repost since we "moved". ;-)

--------------------------------------------

Whew! Made it to my AA meeting and back SOBER and it was actually NOT scary at all! I saw a lot of people I knew & they seemed happy to see me. :-)

@immri-how are you today?

@Thirteenth, good to hear from you!

@Mish- congrats on day 6! (Maybe 7 by now) :-)

@casey-Enjoy your day off! I don't think there's anything wrong with staying up late watching TV & sleeping until 11:00 on your day off! Ha! Sounds fun! You're probably right...the meeting probably never really had anything to do with me drinking after. It was just my AV chirping! I'm fine now though. Thank you for your amazing post!!! :-) You're amazing! I used to stay for "one more" at the bar too. But one more was never ever enough. I'm looking forward to reading your post about all you "day ones".

@clearlyheaded-it's so good to hear from you. The first few months of sobriety are definitely an emotional roller coaster but from previous experience I know it DOES get much better the longer we are sober. I'm sorry you couldn't sleep last night. I hope tonite is better. And I'm sorry about your father. It sounds like you really miss him. I am sure he is so proud of you! I'm sure your shoulder surgery in April will go great!

@Renew-yeah, your probably right...I haven't progressed to reverse tolerance YET but if I drink again my disease will progress and my future will be dark. I'm not going to drink today. How are you? P.S. Thank you so much for your support! I ate, went to my meeting, came home & ate again! I'm still sober. No craving at the moment, praise God! Love you too!! Just saw you had a rough moment this afternoon. Way to fight through it!!!

@Keets- you poor thing! I pray your pain subsides. Hang in there!

@Dee-thanks for checking in on us! I'm sorry I posted that Amazon link to that book yesterday. I didn't even think about the "advertising thing".

@azure-you can do it! You can stay sober through the weekend!

@Joe- Hang in there! The fear anxiety is so much better for me at day 8. It gets better each day we are sober.

@Kwhite- hang in there! You can do this!!!

@forabetterlife- just check in when you can. We're just happy to see you! :-)

@Fabela-Day 16! Woo hoo!!! Are you feeling better? My day isn't filled with rainbow sprinkles but my worst day sober is still better than my best day drunk for sure! I'm learning how to just "feel" my anxiety too. It's hard but we can do it! Yay! I just saw your updated post that your anxiety is gone! Woo hoo! You hypnotized me!!! Haha

@Samantha-I KNEW you could do it! I knew you could get through your crazy work day yesterday without drinking! You're amazing! Are you still going to AA?

@Kayak-Welcome! :-)

@Palagic-Congrats on 16 days! You're doing great! I used to do the same thing and say "oh well I will drink today & start over tomorrow!" NO MORE! Tomorrow is TODAY!

@Apple- Hi!

@Bobbie- that's amazing that you can say that you didn't have a single drop of alcohol the entire month of March 2016! I hope to say that about April 2016! Your hypnotizing worked! Lol

@beerbgone-hang in there! You don't ever have to feel this bad again! I look forward to you checking in more often. :-) You're gonna make sobriety stick this time...I know it!

@Ella-welcome! We have the BEST class!!!

@Rah- congrats on day 6! You WILL make it through the weekend one minute at a time and on Monday you will have 10 days! I believe in you! It sounds like you had a nice lunch & your weekend sounds amazing! I love basketball! What team are you gonna see?

@Ladybug-Hey!!! I'm so glad that you didn't wait to come back! We missed you! I'm praying all your blood tests come back fine. :-)

@LostLilly-Way to fight back!!! I'm so glad our class is staying together!

@DoNit-welcome!!! :-)

@ChickChick-come back to us! We miss you!!!

@Welcome Kayak!!! So glad you joined us. We have a great class!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
PS: my "Thank You's" just keep disappearing into cyberspace. They show up when I click 'em, then disappear again. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong???
Might not be you Pelagic - could be a site issue. Do you use a phone, tablet/Ipad or a PC/Mac?

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Checking in day 6! Feeling okay today. Worrying about the weekend.
Originally Posted by azure808 View Post
I'm day 4 - thinking about weekend but I'm gonna concentrate on today . Well done on 6
The best thing to do when faced with a weekend is plan I think. Plan some fun activities that don;t involve bars or booze.

Join the weekender thread in the main forum too, maybe?

D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post

Being sober is boring sometimes. I've done everything sober for 8 days now. Our house is clean, all meals are cooked, pets are taken care of, laundry done, I have been exercising, the kids are taken care of etc. BUT sometimes my brain says "This is boring! You need some excitement in your life! Life is short...!" Ugh.

My neighbors can always tell when I'm sobering up I mow my yard 2 or 3 times a week pressure wash the house go go go. Then they don't see me for a month or so :-(
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kayak63sc View Post
My neighbors can always tell when I'm sobering up I mow my yard 2 or 3 times a week pressure wash the house go go go. Then they don't see me for a month or so :-(
Haha really? Do you end up drinking again because of it? How do you deal with it long term?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DoNit4good ella and Kayak

I'm glad the meeting went well Kiki - it's easy to be scared of relapse but the truth is the decision to drink again really is ours to make.

If you don't want to drink again, guys, you don't have to
If not drinking is hard, then find support
If you have support - use it

we can do this - who's in for a sober/clean weekend?
D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all. I wanted to post one of my fav quotes from the book Parched by Heather King. It just reminds me that we will NOT find happiness in the bottle, so stop looking there! I re-read this one every once in awhile.

"I once heard a sober alcoholic say that drinking never made him happy, but it made him feel like he was going to be happy in about fifteen minutes. That was exactly it, and I couldn’t understand why the happiness never came, couldn’t see the flaw in my thinking, couldn’t see that alcohol kept me trapped in a world of illusion, procrastination, paralysis. I lived always in the future, never in the present. Next time, next time! Next time I drank it would be different, next time it would make me feel good again. And all my efforts were doomed, because already drinking hadn’t made me feel good in years"
Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wow, look at these spacious new digs! Thanks Dee! And congrats to all of us for graduating to the daily support board soon. We made it to April (or at least the Australian version of it for the next few hours) All you March 16ers check in so we know you know where to find us!

I just took a wonderful, long nap. Going to head to the store to get something to cook in a minute. Or maybe I'll just cook some breakfast for dinner. I've already got everything I need here. Thinking an omelet of some kind.

I didn't make it to the mall again today. I really do have to go tomorrow before I work at 5 pm. I'm not going to be able to get a refund on some of that stuff if I don't go soon. But man do I hate the mall.

So glad you made that meeting, KiKi. And thanks for your long, thoughtful post.

Welcome to the Class of March 2016, Naxos. 21 days is amazing. I'm glad you found us! Drinking will only make it worse, not better. Post in here once a minute if you have to, but don't take that first drink no matter what!

Samantha14, I've found that quitting drinking is not going to magically change my entire life. It's just the first, most necessary step in an entire recovery process that's about healing our whole lives, not just our drinking/drug issues.

I'd love an explanation of what your avatar is, Kayak63sc. Obviously something to do with kayaking or rafting, but does it have a specific meaning?. Cool design, whatever it is.

Glad to see you, Purplrks3647. What's been going on?

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Thursday night (or Friday morning for our Immri and Mish)! Like I said, check in here if you get a chance. Let us all know you've found this thread.

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The graduation ceremony will be a little later on guys - I have to go and do some real life stuff - back later

D
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back ladybug. I'm always rooting for you. And I look up to you! I know you have little ones like me and did the sober pregnancies, and breastfeeding....I am worried when I stop fully breastfeeding it's going to leave the door wide open. It's a big reason why I have so many sober days (not always consistent) since having my last baby. I'm afraid what will happen when that last big "reason" is gone. She's just about 9 months old. So, I'm hanging on to that right now. Anyway like I said, I'm team ladybug and I think you can TOTALLY do this now. I have faith in you, and selfishly want you in this class. .

We've all got this. 24 hours at a time.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Drinking is not the answer to relieving boredom, KiKiS. Drinking is the most boring, monotonous thing ever. Even when it was so exciting that it landed me in jail, drinking was boring. It's an awful, drab, pointless way of life. Seriously.

Surprise your neighbors this time, Kayak63sc. Keep doing those chores every time you get a desire to drink. If you run out of your own, I've got plenty here that you can have.

I am most definitely in for a sober weekend, Dee74. Love this so much I'm quoting it again here:

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you don't want to drink again, guys, you don't have to
If not drinking is hard, then find support
If you have support - use it
Beautiful and very accurate quote, Applekat. Once I started drinking as an alcoholic, all my drinking did was lead to more drinking. Nothing good came out of it. Ever. But I kept chasing those elusive, non-existent magical results of drinking for years. In my head, drinking was the solution. In real life, it was the problem.

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Haha really? Do you end up drinking again because of it? How do you deal with it long term?
That is why I am here I do not know how to deal with it long term
Old 03-31-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I get this a lot recently.

I'm feeling trapped, as though life's not going anywhere, and that drinking would break up the monotony. Never mind the fact that drinking's been kicking me around a lot lately.

You asked me in the other thread if I was tired, angry, lonely or hungry. I guess I'm a bit tired and feeling quite lonely. I get to see some of my friends tomorrow, though, who are hugely supportive. I'll try to get to a meeting in the evening.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was wondering what was going on! Nobody was posting. I was in the wrong classroom!!!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely KiKi! This is so me. Once the hangover is gone and I start really getting things accomplished and I get super organized with lists everywhere, my mind starts to wander....like, really, is this all there is? Surely, I can have a few drinks to liven me up a little and still keep it all together so well.
BUT.....once we drink, it all starts to slowly fall apart and we realize how much better it is doing things sober, and we long for sober life again. I guess that's why we are here, after all. Because as enticing as drinking seems in the moment, it's really a big fat lie from our AV!
Stay strong Kiki, enjoy your clean house
Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that quote, Applekat. Love it.
At this point, we are just chasing the "high" the alcohol used to give us. It worked for a while. Now it doesn't. That's the bottom line. We crossed the line and can't go back, no matter how hard or how many times we try.
I think that's what I've been doing. Keep trying to "go back" and enjoy the drinking like I used to, just have it be fun and relaxing not feel all the misery the next day. Maybe the secret is in accepting that those days are gone, just like other things and people in life we have had to let go of because they no longer are good for us, even though they once were.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Telling us lies and romanticizing about our drinking past and future is what our addiction does best. It's BS. Always. 100% of the time. Never forget.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome back. This class is so wonderful. I really am glad I can be a part of it. I can relate to so many of your posts tonight. Wish I could respond to all of you, but it's almost time to put kids in bed (oh what a long process that is). I'm tired tonight, but sober Thanks, again, for all of your support.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
"I once heard a sober alcoholic say that drinking never made him happy, but it made him feel like he was going to be happy in about fifteen minutes. That was exactly it, and I couldn’t understand why the happiness never came, couldn’t see the flaw in my thinking, couldn’t see that alcohol kept me trapped in a world of illusion, procrastination, paralysis. I lived always in the future, never in the present. Next time, next time! Next time I drank it would be different, next time it would make me feel good again. And all my efforts were doomed, because already drinking hadn’t made me feel good in years"
Perfect! Thanks Applekat. I will keep this quote handy to re-read from time to time as well.