Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I kept hearing rave reviews of this new TV series American Crime Story about the OJ Simpson case so I'm watching the first episode right now. So far, I like it.

Work was very slow and boring. All is OK here though. Had a nice dinner. No thoughts of drinking in quite a while, but I need to keep myself hyper-aware of what to do when they do arise.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Took my son to the airport tonight. He is going to Rehab in Florida. He is 26 and a heroin addict. It was hard taking him, but I know it's what he needs.
My recovery is going great. I still don't understand what clicked for me. Obviously this class has helped tremendously, but if I had discovered this even a week before I did,I don't think I'd be doing so well. You guys have definitely kept me sober.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

I'm home from swim. Bit of a late night for us, but my daughter is on Spring break so I decided we should have some fun after her lesson. Now I'm relaxing with a cold glass of water and deciding what snack to have. Probably a yogurt or Apple slices with cheddar cheese. My dog would LOVE it if I had that snack

My phone is about to die, so I'm signing off for the night. Sweet dreams everyone! See you in the AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Alcohol was always my drug of choice but I've had many a number of close friends with heroin addictions. Glad he's seeking help, Bobbieka. You and him both are in my thoughts tonight...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Kiki I sent you a pm, so sorry to hear but I really hope you stay with us, I'm only back on day 3 as you know and I plan on sticking with you guys, it's too much of a great group ❤️

Me, I wish I could stay home where it's safe but I have to got into the city for a meeting where I work and study. It shouldn't be a bad meeting but I'm not as prepared as I usually would be, and I'm still feeling so raw from everything that the desire to stop by the bottle shop on my way there is pretty intense. Ive had a few coffees though which really dulls my cravings (major caffeine addict btw but no way in * am I giving that one up lol)
I'm having dinner with a sober friend which in looking forward to as well, so that's helping. Just gotta get through!
Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Will be thinking about you immri. You can do this. Just today.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Bobbieka, I wish your son all the best. My ex and some family members were/are addicted to heroin. I've seen rehab do wonderful things for the ones who accepted the help.

Just saw your other post, thank you ❤️
Old 04-04-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
That's beautiful, horsestaple. I'm a cyclist too,but there's nothing that inspiring to cycle over around here. Lots of flat straight space though.
That's Sydney Harbor Bridge (I decided to stick to Sydney rather than go to the mountains). I just got back. 21 miles/33.4kms. It is so much nicer riding without a hangover.

All the best immri. I'm sending sober vibes your way.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You know stopping at that store will not make things any better but could very well end very badly, immri. Go to your meeting, enjoy your dinner with your friend, post in here if you can. You can do this. I'll be thinking of you...
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm almost certain I won't actually getting any, it's just a craving. Posting and thinking it through helped
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Oh man, I had a post halfway done and then my computer just went rogue...seriously irritated! OK, starting over but the first version was much better.

I forgot the feeling of being on the west coast USA and being behind everyone else. I know the world is round and all, but I feel behind so let me be illogical...LOL!

CaseyW - the OJ show....YES! Really digging that too. Although I cannot quite make the jump in believing John Travolta is Robert Sharpiro.

BobbieK - kind thoughts for you and your son. That must be hard, but glad you are good. (((hug)))

Clearlyheaded - Dogs and snacks! A lovely combo. I am finding that spending time with my four dogs helps change my perspective about drinking. They bring out the best in me....hokie feeling I know.

Immri - I'm on day 3 too, so I'm not in a position to give advice, but I hope you stay strong. Feelings pass if you give it time. And yeah, if I couldn't have coffee, that would be a deal breaker on this whole thing!

Kayak - so glad you're moving forward. Proud!

Kiki - Hope you stay. Slipping is part of the learning process of most of us.

Purplrks - great job!

To everyone - thank you for letting me join this class. It's a great group you have.

Today, I finished my business meeting, ran through a drive-thru for food and came straight to the hotel. I have become acutely aware that when I have to speak in front of large groups of people, or be around a lot of people, I get very stressed. Alcohol has been my medicine for that and typically about now, I'd be opening a wine bottle and "chilling out." I see it, I recognize it, I sit with the discomfort.....and I mentally chill out slowly. Introverts...jeez I hate being one.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good on you for just allowing those feelings to happen, LillianGish. I think that's been one of the keys for recovery so far for me. It's OK to feel things. We don't have to numb ourselves with alcohol.

Like I said, I only just watched the first episode of American Crime Story. I hadn't had any interest in watching it when I first heard about it, thought "Well, I was alive in 1994 to 1996, why would I ever watch this?" But I kept hearing such good things about it I decided to give it a shot tonight. Really enjoyed the first episode except for the stupid dialogue about the Kardashian kids that was obviously the writers pandering to the audience. I'll keep watching. It'll probably take me a few weeks to catch up. I try not to binge on any one television show now. I don't need to binge on anything in my life except maybe my participation here on SR.

Even though I'm in the Central time zone, I get you on the feeling behind thing. I typically work until ten or eleven or midnight most nights so I'm usually on here late catching up. Like I said earlier, it's been way too quiet in here tonight though. Our Australian members are usually around pretty late though. Speaking of, hope that Mish checks in soon. It's been too long!

Speaking of television shows, I'm about to watch tonight's Better Call Saul and then head to bed. Thank you all for keeping me sober today. I will talk to you in the morning.

Remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Kiki, I'm so sorry that you drank, but don't you dare leave us! You belong here with us. And I'm happy that immri is staying with us as well.

Gotta drop the kids off, BRB. Day 21, by the way. (And no congratulations on three weeks, that's tomorrow. )
Old 04-05-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Venuscat says that you guys celebrate milestones a bit differently than I'm used to, so by SR's definition I've managed to stay sober for three weeks. Go me!

FABL, good job! One week is great! And 5K? I can't even do 500 meters...
Clearlyheaded, that must have been so stressful, and yet you didn't drink. That's very well done. Now you know that you can deal with situations like these without drinking.
Bugsy, coming up on one week! How does it feel?
horsestaple, sour dough bread, yum! And yey, day 11!
Purpl, well done resisting that wine glass. But what does ODAAT mean?
Gardengirl, day 9 is here! It's going to be a wonderful day.
rah, 11 000 steps! Well done!
Kayak, how are you today?
And a big hello to trachemys and saskia, thanks for visiting!

No, I didn't forget you, Casey. Hope you had a good night's sleep and that you are ready for sober day 24.

I am injured. Woke up this morning with a huge battle wound from my war against the overgrown shrubs. A massive thorn had embedded itself at least an inch beneath the skin on my finger, and I am definitely unable to work today. Ok, it was just a splinter and I got it out, but I feel handicapped, and I couldn't find the Hello Kitty band aids, so I'm a bit disappointed.
In spite of this, I feel pretty good about myself today. Very happy I didn't drink last night.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Took my son to the airport tonight. He is going to Rehab in Florida. He is 26 and a heroin addict. It was hard taking him, but I know it's what he needs.
My recovery is going great. I still don't understand what clicked for me. Obviously this class has helped tremendously, but if I had discovered this even a week before I did,I don't think I'd be doing so well. You guys have definitely kept me sober.
Sometimes it takes someone to realize they want to quit and for what reasons, the reasons have to be right not superficial. Niece checked herself intoneprehab only to have her sister sneak her in alohocol the next day seriously why? I don't think you have to hit rock bottom though but sadly it does take that for some. I hope they help your son he is young and the stress being gone might help you succeed better since you will now be dealing with your own issues.
Hugs and good luck
Old 04-05-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Good luck, Bobbie.

How are you feeling, Keets?
Old 04-05-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

don't give up there are so many people in here rooting for you to beat the AV and cravings, people keep telling when I'm crazing alcohol tomgomdrink a huge glass of cold water. Just like when I'm hungry but really not. Sometimes when your dehydratedyour body throws out the hunger signal so when you have a have a glass of water it helps and realized it needed water instead. Maybe you can do this with alcohol.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Good luck, Bobbie.

How are you feeling, Keets?
Actually after going back to the doc yesterday I'm feeling a lot better.,I didn't see my doc that did surgery but her partner who already knew about what went on in my surgery and was knowledgable an bout what was going on. Now my pain is under control and I am felling more optimistic. I was going down hill fast than one visit with her and she knew exactly how to fix me lol. So far I feel today is going to be a good day. We shall see when everyone in the house is up and fighting and back to its normal nagging self.
Thanks for asking how are you
Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keets View Post
Actually after going back to the doc yesterday I'm feeling a lot better.,I didn't see my doc that did surgery but her partner who already knew about what went on in my surgery and was knowledgable an bout what was going on. Now my pain is under control and I am felling more optimistic. I was going down hill fast than one visit with her and she knew exactly how to fix me lol. So far I feel today is going to be a good day. We shall see when everyone in the house is up and fighting and back to its normal nagging self.
Thanks for asking how are you
Good to hear that you are feeling better, Keets. I'm fine, off to work now. I have to work for 60 long minutes, poor me....
Old 04-05-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-7-a.html

D