Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 22

Old 07-31-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Weekend check in! I went on a long bike excursion, a macro photography expedition, and a kayaking trip. It's been a busy break, but lots of fun!

I found Girl on a Train interesting, but I found everyone's reaction to the book fascinating. I had a chance to hear many, many reactions, and almost all of them were about the drinking problem aspect. I'm so glad we are FREE!!

Determined, I think your time out period will give you a new perspective- and then you'll be back at it in no time!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Hiya kids!

Glad you liked the quote pink. Sounds like you make the best plans by the way!

Let me know what you think of the book scooter, it gave me a chuckle a few times.

Thanks for the perspective quote choobie, I think you are right on. Kayak sounds awesome, what kind of pics did you get?

Bedforshire up in here folks! Love to all.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Happy hangover free Monday!

That never gets old.

Make it a great day guys!

"The best things in life aren't things." Art buchwald
Old 08-01-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Can you believe it is August, 2016???

Determined, I enjoyed the book. When I read that she had been sober seven years when she wrote it, it explained why she glossed over some of the two day hangovers, etc. I think as time goes on we forget exactly how pitiful we were.

Pink and Choobie, I felt her drinking problem was the main topic in The Girl on the Train. It made me uncomfortable when I read it because of the newness of my sobriety at that time.

I think I will get the Caroline Knapp book Drinking: A Love Story. I read it years ago; I bought it because she was a local columnist, and I loved her writing; in hindsight now I realize I was not at the point to truly understand it. She died of breast cancer in her early 40s. I have no idea where my copy is - I must have thrown it out or lent it to someone. I am going to read the shelves at the library this morning and will look for the book.

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 08-01-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Thabks scooter I hadn't realised it was so drinking oriented, might pop it back on the shelf til I'm ready!

Busy work this end so have bought a massive lego lorry to build in the evenings, it's good relaxation therapy. That's my excuse anyhow! !!

August........We know what that means folks! I will be 2 years on August 28th. How is that even possible? I can still remember counting days and weeks! Blimey.

Much love xx
Old 08-01-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone - great milestones this month
D
Old 08-01-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Lets keep it up Team. Big Month!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Hope you are all doing good!

It's August and milestone time 😀

The last two weeks for me have been hard work as I moved house but now I am delighted with things. Got my broadband back too yesterday which is great. Been little time for anything other than painting, cleaning and assembling furniture and unpacking. I have been getting to two AA per week to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Time to go back and have a read through the posts I missed now.

Wishing all of you a great day 😊
Old 08-02-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

London glad to here you are moved in and can now relax and enjoy!
I'm going for my next tattoo consultation in 3 weeks. I have 2 designs I want drawing up, but cannot decide on the body area. Has to be something I can cover up for work, but some whee that it can be seen if I want it to be. Somewhere that doesn't look too tacky, or silly. Any tips? I'm go ogling pics at the moment!
Old 08-02-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Glad you liked the book scooter!

Fantastic to hear from you London!! You sound great man, rock solid.

Pink, depending on what the design is, I think tattoos on girls look great on the upper arm, especially half sleeve ones. Small ones on wrist work too, and can be covered with a watch.

Goodnight guys.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Thanks determined! One us the phoenix I never got round f to having. Another is a celtic design incorporating my families favourite flowers. Tempted to have the phoenix on my thigh, and the flowers upper back.....still thinking though x
Old 08-02-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Good Morning all

So happy to see everyone getting on with life and keeping going

On my way to work and it's not a bad weather day after lots of rain

What a great idea to get a tattoo pink! I am not so good at suggestions but I am sure it will look great 😊

Wishing everyone a great day
Old 08-04-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, LONDON ! ! !

CONGRATULATIONS ! ! !
Old 08-04-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats London

D
Old 08-04-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Congratulations London!
Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

London baby! !!!!!!!!!!!
Woooooohoooooooo! !!!!!!!!!!!!
So damn proud of you my lovely, I'm so inspired by you!!!!
Simply amazing xxx
Old 08-04-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

London you go boy!!! Ah yeah!!!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Congrats London! Excellent work!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday!

How is everyone this wonderful day? Took son out jet ski riding Friday as a friend has a couple of them. Man were we moving!! Over 50 mph, he loved it! We ran out of gas in the middle of the channel, had to wait for someone to get us. We just sang songs and took turns blowing the rescue whistle, good memory already.

Get X-rays this week, hopefully I can get this boot thing off. Feels much better. Getting totally stoked for vacation and then snowboard season coming in a few months.

How is the gang? Two freakin years in the rear view already. We have all grown, I know I have. My growth has been self acceptance, inner peace of mind and a general sense of connectedness and spirituality. Curious how you feel. What has been your biggest observation of change since this journey began?

Off to make the morning smoothie. Been kicking these up a notch. Now it is kale, spinach, a raw beet with the greens, protein powder, maca root, flaxseed oil, frozen blueberries and strawberries, chia seed, bananas, turmeric, ice and water.

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you." Marianne Williamson

Go get it.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Determined, you really got me thinking this morning. I think my greatest growth is a sense of good health. I have lost weight, upped the exercise, my hair and skin look much better, and I sleep soundly most nights. It seems, except for the occasional bathroom visit, I have wonderful sleeps unless my dog Scooter or my cat Mr. Boomerang decide it is time to play. Lately I have had to give myself pep talks about exercising. Some mornings I go online, or start a project, or get a phone call - whatever - and decide I don't have time to spend an hour at the Y. I then remind myself that I am 63 years old and on no medications because of my sobriety and my exercise, and that always gets me moving.

I no longer panic if the av comes calling because I have come to the realization that most adults, normal drinkers, crave a drink occasionally just as I might crave fried clams once or twice a year. One of my brother-in-laws, who probably buys a six-pack a month to have in the fridge, was all sweaty from lawn work one day when I was at their cottage, and announced he desperately needed a shower and a cold beer......that is what made me realize it is okay to occasionally crave a drink, it is normal. At this point in time I don't believe I will ever drink again, and I am happy to say I very rarely think about alcohol any more.

I have not told anyone that I have quit drinking and/or that I had a problem (as if they did not know!)

I am curious to learn how the rest of you feel.

Let's keep on keeping on!!!