Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 3

Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks Plenny and everyone for the links. I just checked out the Pilate link just now. Boy she makes it look easy! Between the yoga link and this, I'm ready to get going. Been hitting the gym. Just put my size 10 jeans (or tried to). No go! Been eating too much and too much chocolate. Sure is nice to eat real food tho and balanced diet. You hear so much that people eat chocolate in particular. I wonder if it's just stuck in my head and not a real craving. Oh well, gonna get this extra weight off.

SH - wow that heart beat is scary. Take care of yourself. B

Have a good day everyone. Been trying to start my taxes now for two weeks. Love reading on here. Taking a hot bath and brain dead on who said what but good luck to everyone!

Olivia
Old 01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sean30 View Post
Hi class, guess I'm in this grade now
Welcome to the January class. These guys are awesome!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Hugs to you, Patricia! Oh boy, do I understand the feeling of just wanting to run.

One of my biggest struggles is learning to be alone with myself, without my brain going off in a zillion different directions, all of them negative. I am trying to stay focused on the hour I am in. In this hour, I am posting to SR. I try not to buy into thoughts that look at yesterday or tomorrow (one is tragedy, the other is terror). Even later today is off limits. I am not good at it, but it is helping anyway.

It is working better than trying to find distractions from all the negative thoughts. Recent research shows that we really cannot control our thoughts, but we can disengage from them, refuse to fuse with them. It reminds me a little of meditation, just watching the thoughts go by.

Might something like that help you feel less overwhelmed?
Great post Silly.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Hi all. Should have joined this thread weeks ago. I'm day 20 today and my AV is really having a go at me. I'm ok, but drifted in to this malaise where I'm bored with quitting. Gah.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem Sean

Originally Posted by RallyAly View Post
Ack, feeling icky today. I had gut pain last night and today have that plus stuffy head parts and achy shoulders/neck. I *think* this is just, what I'll term, "quit cold." I had it about a week after quitting smoking too and it lasted several days. I hope it's not a real cold - I have a pretty busy work week.

Anyone else have that happen after the initial period? (The initial withdrawal was pretty mild in my case, probably since I was an evening drinker with sober-light full days each week and I was terrified of possible complications and did a short taper.)
A lot of people get sick when they sober up- me included.

I know I used to run on alcohol - I was drinking to function...take that away and I discovered just how run down I really was...

Hope you feel better soon

D
Old 01-20-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Finishing up work and already fighting myself. That's my routine - stop working, pour the wine. Luckily there is nothing in the house, I plan to get a run in and hopefully my craving will disappear.

Good luck with your taxes Olivia, I detest them!

MAV, 20 days is a milestone! Good for you!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

day 3
Old 01-20-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
KCW

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Just got home from a nice day at work. That wouldn't have happened if I was hungover or if I'd called in sick so I could drink today. The thoughts of drinking I had early this morning are gone for now. I'm about to go do a couple of big loads of laundry, grab a burger or something while that's going on. I'll be hanging close to here once I get back home for the evening. Wishing you all the best today...
Old 01-20-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
Hi all. Should have joined this thread weeks ago. I'm day 20 today and my AV is really having a go at me. I'm ok, but drifted in to this malaise where I'm bored with quitting. Gah.
Welcome MAV!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. It's the middle if the night and I can't sleep...ironic as I'm struggling on six hours a night despite my initial ten to twelve hours during the first week or so.

I'm worried Im going to get complacent and think that everything will be ok if I drink... A lot of people are doing sober January and I wonder if in Feb I'm going to cave...
This insomnia has got me with too much time on my hands.
Anyway, hope you're all doing OK in your different countries!
Old 01-20-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think as long as you stay self aware and keep working at being sober you'll be fine Glb

I used to feel like relapses were something that sprang out at you but I think now it's not that arbitrary....we have a lot of power - if you don't want to relapse you won't
Old 01-20-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Stay strong, brotha. Keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hello everybody.

Today starts day one of sobriety for me. I've been on a bit of a binge the last few weeks and can barely remember the last two days. I made a thread in the newcomers forum a few days ago. I feel a bit embarrassed about that.

I feel absolutely terrible today. Sick, hungover, anxious. I actually have to work over-nights for the rest of the week so I'll basically be forced into sobriety.

Good luck to all. I wouldn't wish this problem on anybody.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

That's an excellent MLK quote, Dee. I've never seen that one.
Rough day at work w bad weather, but nothing compared to what it could've been. Bad ride home on icy roads with dummy's parked in the center of back roads standing beside their vehicles.
Another day sober.
Hugs to y'all.
Gnite
Old 01-20-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Welcome Roger, I hope your day gets better, it's bad enough having to go to work with a hangover, but overnight? I feel for you. Make sure you drink plenty of water!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome Roger! We can all relate to how you feel. I don't wish that on anyone either. Can't wait to you get a few days down and feel better.

JL - hope wife is coming along well. You too.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Made it through Day 3. Irritable and massive headache. Been pumping myself full of items to a) not get the sickness running around work b) good stuff in, bad stuff out.

MAV, I hear ya about getting bored with quitting. I usually never get anywhere near 20, so good for you!! Remember how boring (and painful) drinking all the time is. The negative emotions associated with drinking are far worse than some boredom. It's tough! I'm planning on taking up knitting or some other hobby I would have never tried. 😉
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I read and post on my phone. My left eyeball feels like it has a big bruise on it. My husband says prolly for being on here so much! Eyes freak me out tho. You only have two. Gonna try to give my eyes a break.

Self-employed so taxes are a real biatch!

So I just ate almost the whole bag of microwave buttered popcorn! Dam! Well, it beats drinking

Went to the grocery store yesterday. That really is a test! I guess I haven't done much grocery shopping lately (spent $140). I keep pretty well stocked up and just dash in for small loads it seems these days. I couldn't get out of there quickly enough! Way too much booze. Can't wait till alcohol is no longer glamorized by the public.
I do think it will happen in my lifetime. I sure hope it does. It's dam deadly In So many ways.

Happy sobriety to all.

Olivia
Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Day 2. I feel better than this morning. My hangover is finally gone. I had a cozy evening chilling with my daughter and we did a workout video together. I am starting to suspect that drinking is very much intertwined with other body image issues I've always dealt with. I don't even really know how to get through all the layers of that onion.

I told my two best friends that I'm making some changes including stopping drinking. I did my drinking in private, home alone, so they don't see me at my worst, but they will support me and hold me accountable. That is one thing I'm doing differently this time. Before, I had so much shame that I was afraid to admit to people that I needed help. This time, I know they love me at my best and my worst. They'll be here as I crawl myself out of this stupid hole yet again.

I just want to be a lot more open and reliant on people this time around. I don't have to be ashamed that I can't drink normally. But I DO have to do what it takes to make my life better.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I'm glad your feeling better StrongBird!

Wrapping up day 13 with not much to report on. Still watching diet, eating healthy and eliminating sugar and gluten, and I'm still bouncing up and down 1-2 pounds. The good news is, I have no desire at all for fast food or take out, and no sugar cravings. Aside from the occasional days of feeling down, physically and mentally, I am feeling pretty good.

Stay strong everyone, we are moving forward, ODAAT!