Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 3

Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 4 waking up feeling better than yesterday. Thank god. 2 1/2 days more til 3 1/2 days off of which I'll stay close. Have a great Tuesday all!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by HopefulBob View Post
Hello all,
I've been following this trend but this is my first post. I have been a functioning alcoholic for over 15 years, not an everyday drinker but my life definitely revolved around it. My drinking slowed time a few years ago when we had kids but I still couldn't wait to have my beers on the weekends after the kids were in bed. I could not go a week without it, and I was lying to myself and others about how much I was actually drinking. Well, a few months ago I had a health scare unrelated to drinking. When everything turned out ok, I felt like I had a new lease of life and decided to give up alcohol so I could be around as long as possible for my kids and to give them my full attention. I have been completely sober for a month. My issue now is that a deep depression has set in. I keep having these thoughts that nothing matters and I am going to die anyway regardless. Is it this the AV talking? Or was I just masking these feelings by being focused on drinking for so long. I wish I was more of a spiritual person but unfortunately it isn't easy for me. Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the family, Bob. If the depression doesn't go away within a few months I'd see a doctor/counselor for help.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Greetings - snowy here in Maine - good for the tourism business. Selfishly not good for me. But great to be able to come here. My depression has set in hard - but I expected it to. So will work on my gratitude list. Knit and breathe through this as long as needed. A drink would only bring me down more at this point in life. Gotta be sober and present for my loved ones and also for myself. Blessings to all.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Hopeful Bob. Congratulations on a month sober! I'm really sorry about the depression. I hope it lifts soon.

I'm in day 3. Feeling good. A little tired, as I was up and down last night, but a vast improvement from just a few days ago. I still feel a little foggy-headed, but I have hope, and that's more than I could say for a long time.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 9 here. I just had a big post and my 7 yo bumped me.... all gone. It could be a bit of a long day. I'm feeling like I have a bit of a short fuse today already. Hopefully that will turn around soon. I really want to enjoy this week with my kids.
I have some things I really need to think through and sort out in my head. Not really drinking related. But I know that stress and guilt can be the catalyst of my drinking if I let it. Sorting these things out I feel like I have a better chance at staying sober.

Beautifulpines what are you knitting? Knitting is my other more healthy addiction.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. Had a few sober days this month, but just totally relapsed and I am full of shame. Tomorrow I go to my first meeting at lunch. I'm scared, but I am an alcoholic and I need to help myself. Will check in as the days go by.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome Bobby.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least and Whenindoubt. Congrats on 3 days. I've dealt with the usually depression and shame from drinking too much, but this is stronger. Usually I feel better after 2 weeks and start drinking again. If anything, it has helped me stay sober because I've lost interest in anything I enjoy. Hopefully lots of water, eating right and exercise will help.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

TheChange, you really have to think of it that way. 1 day out of 32 is probably a 98% reduction. You deserve a lot of credit.

I've been increasing physical and mental challenges dramatically. I was doing almost nothing. I was totally attrified even drinking once a week or biweekly. I hitting it daily a while back. My chemistry gets thrown totally out of whack for weeks with a sip. It's a process that's for sure.

Good luck today. You'll do it.

J
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Highwind View Post
Day 14 today.

Nmd - keep your chin up mate, I had over a year sober back in 2010 so I been trying for a long time too.....i suppose we have to just not let it beat us and try to change things up each attemp till we find away to make it work.
thanks highwind, congrats on 14days!

this time around, I at least don't have doubts about wanting to be sober and I know that wanting to be sober isn't enough. As simple as it sounds, it really all comes down to not taking that first drink. Lots of stuff I need to avoid early on to keep my eye on the prize.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

When you know you want to be sober, you'll keep working at it, and you'll get there. Maybe mistakes, relapses, (maybe not), definitely a bunch of difficulty, but the bug is planted that you simply can't have this anymore. That can be a hardy and persistent little bug. Picture a nice Lady Bug, my phone emoticons aren't supported here
Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. Hanging in there, much better than yesterday.

Good job everyone, welcome to the new people.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me too and its coming to a close.

I had a really bad night's sleep last night with my body twitching all over the place. I have never had this before and am quite worried about it.

I have started taking lots of vitamins including B. Also Omega and magnesium along with milk thistle.

Good luck everyone...
Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 1

Day 1 today. I am feeling a major depression and feel so sheepish about declaring yet another day 1. I'm scared I'll mess this up again. I had 10 days until I decided I should have a beer at lunch yesterday - which turned into 3/4 of a bottle of wine last night and stupid drunk behavior (smoked 2 cigs inside! Ugh!) I feel like a failure. But I'm gonna quit again. No alcohol in the house, thank goodness.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey all, still here, day 13 for me, and onto day 3 without the cigs (well 50
hours, stopped at 3pm!). Taking each day as it comes, right now cig cravings far outweigh alcohol cravings, but I am sure they will switch in and out just to keep me on my toes.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight everyone well done on staying sober
Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

day 15, winding down feeling good
Old 12-29-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Way to go everyone on getting through the day sober!

I'm currently feeling really low about this slip and where my life is at. Anyone else care to join my pity party? From the outside all looks fine (I have a job, house, etc) but I'm a mess on the inside. Scared I can't beat this
Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem back Kitty (and everyone else trying again)

I think you can beat this Kitty - I think all of you returning guys can - but it takes some changes tho.

I had to make some pretty big ones - my life was pretty much all about drinking, and that kinda had me baulking for a long time.

I think most of us who relapse can agree we could do more to stay sober - maybe think about that and use that as a starting point?

Make 2016 a year of change. Sounds good doesn't it?

D
Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HopefulBob and Bobby

D