Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 5

Old 02-20-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Congrats Winslow on 120 days!!! That is huge! And wonderful!!!
I'm with you, juno, I needed a nap this afternoon so I took a nap. I think this week has been really draining for me. Today I did dishes and laundry and ran. I'm so glad I ran, that always makes me feel better. So not a real productive day for me, but I'm not going to make myself feel bad for that. It was just one of those days that I didn't feel like doing much, and I didn't have to, so I didn't.
Midton and sydneyman, it would be great to hear from you guys soon!!
Old 02-20-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
Administrator

No worries Juno - hope things settle down there.
Congrats on 120 Winslow

D
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Grizzly, it sounds like we both had pretty good, not completely productive days yesterday. That's okay! I didn't think I was very productive but I did take care of a lot of little details like laundry, straightening things out, and fixing up my bed and making it nice. I felt good about what I did.

I'm a little sore today from the yoga class yesterday. I hadn't gone for a while and the teacher yesterday is a young woman and she's known for having a "fast paced class." She said she slowed it down yesterday because the energy in the room wasn't very high (in other words, there were a bunch of old folks there like me ) - and I'm still a little sore. Geeezzz. I'm at least happy to be getting back to it. Today I will do a treadmill workout to change it up and try for 3 yoga classes this coming week.

I'm a little more positive and upbeat when I first wake up than at night, so it's always good to start the day with positive feelings.

I got a new iPhone this past week and it's wonderful. It's the iPhone 6s Plus and I love it - the battery lasts soooooo much longer than my old one which would just randomly shut off for no reason. So happy! I set up two new sobriety counter apps - out with the old, in with the new. One that I really like is called "Nomo" - have any of you heard of that? It's cool because you can set up different clocks. I only have one for alcohol, but you can set up others as well. It gives you a "chip" which is first called "Starting Fresh." It then tells you when you earn your next chip. In my case, it's March 20th. Very cool!

My daughter made me watch the pilot episode of Breaking Bad. I didn't think I'd like it because I hate violence of any sort, but it's pretty compelling. Last night I watched episodes 2 and 3 of the first season. Now I want to keep watching. There is pot smoking and crystal meth in there, but those things don't trigger me in any way. I don't even get triggered when I watch shows where they drink beer - I also watch Supernatural and Dean one of the main characters is always popping open a beer. It doesn't affect me, which is cool. I also watch the Bachelor (I have watched since the very first show!) and I'm okay with watching the contestants drink wine. I don't know why it doesn't bother me, but it doesn't so that's cool. I just say things like, "I'm glad I'm not them - I would have a hangover the next day!" and I notice that sometimes they just have a glass of wine in front of them as a prop and they don't even drink it. Haha, what would be the point of that???

Grizzly, my avatar is the berry character in the movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs." I needed something upbeat, happy and cute as my avatar and I thought of that movie. That strawberry was such a cute character in the movie!

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Juno, sore from yoga, yay! I love being sore after a work out. It let's me know I pushed myself. I like to think of it as it hurts so good : )
Busy day for me. I hit the floor running, I guess to make up for yesterday. I cleaned, did laundry, went grocery shopping, ran. And my son and I attempted to walk the cat. It was as frustrating as we imagined it to be. I was looking at my squishy kitty, Yosemite Sam, yesterday, and I was like he's going to have back pain from carrying all that extra weight. We should walk the cat. We got him a harness for small dogs and put it on him yesterday to try to get him used to it. He acted like it was cruel and unusual punishment. This afternoon we were like alright here we go, let's walk the cat. We didn't get very far. He was more into trying to chew on all the plants, hide in bushes, and chase bunnies. Unlike a dog where you can lead them, my cat just plopped down when I'd didn't let him go where he wanted to go and he didn't want to go where I wanted him to go. He just parked it in as much dirt as he could find then proceeded to roll around til there were leaves and sticks hanging off his fur and his white "socks" turned gray. After an hour of this we headed home (3 front yards away). I carried him home then he seemed to love his walk. He wants to go for a walk if it means I'll carry him : ) whew, that was a practice in patience!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

4 MONTHS!!!!

WOW! I can't express how much better I feel right now.

Just 4 months ago I was sneaking into my garage at 7AM to slam back a beer or two just to feel better after the normal Friday/Saturday night of drinking.

Just 4 months ago I was excited when I found these small, extra high alcohol content hard lemonades becasue I could slam them without anyone knowing or smelling alcohol, or so I thought.

Just 4 months ago I looked in the mirror and realized that the person looking back was a shell of the man, husband and father I wanted to be.

Just 4 months ago I realized that I was setting such a bad example to my children that I needed to change immediately.

Just 4 months ago I checked in on my sleeping 4th child and cried. I realized I had promised each of my children, at some point in a drunken stupor in the middle of the night that I was going to change, and hadn't.

Just 4 months ago I came to a crossroads that I am sure many of us have walked up to. One road lead me to suicide, the other road lead me to recovery. The suicide road looked much easier to travel. It looked like the shortest trip ever, one that only took one step to complete. The other road looked like it was going to be incredibly hard to traverse. It looked like it had pitfalls, switchbacks, and every obstacle you could imagine. It looked like one that you would have to have help to pass. It looked like it would take a lifetime to travel on. I choose the recovery road.

Just 4 months ago I sat alone, in my dark closet and thought about the future and what I have to live for. I thought about what it would be like to walk my girls down the aisle, giving them away to another man who I hope loves them even a tenth of much as I do. I thought about dancing with them at the reception and probably not being able to make it through the father of the bride speech. I thought about seeing my son choose his bride, and hoping that I brought him up correctly. I thought about holding my grandchildren. Lastly, I thought and growing old with the love of my life. I thought about how many people thought we were making a mistake choosing each other, and never thought it would work out. I thought about the number of people who had to have been telling my wife to leave her bum of a husband and here refusing. Then, I thought what it would be like if I wasn't here. I thought about how alcohol was raising my chances of missing out on all of those beautiful things.

And just 4 months ago I realized something. I was the only one who could change my situation. No book, no person, no motivational speaker, no threat, nothing could make me change if I didn't want to. On that day, I made a decision. I decided that there wasn't a single drink, a single alcoholic experience that would be better than those moments I had thought of and feared I could miss. There wasn't a single thing I could think of that was more important than those memories that I hope to share. On that day I realized I was sick of what alcohol had made me become and I would from that day forward work on being the man, husband, father, friend, citizen, and son of God that I wanted to be.

Today I am happy and I am proud of where I am. My relationship with my wife and my children is better than I can ever remember. Other than God forbid something happening to my family, I don't feel that there is a challenge I couldn't beat. I feel like I can take this disease and turn it to something positive in my life. A form of strength somehow.

Without this board, and without the support of my wife and children, I wouldn't be where I am today. God bless all of you and let's continue down this sober road together.

Chris
Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Chris - that brought tears to my eyes. It also got me to need to do some serious thinking. That was absolutely awesome. Hope it's ok if I peek in on the October class! I will read and reread your post! Thanks!

Olivia.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Chris - that brought tears to my eyes. It also got me to need to do some serious thinking. That was absolutely awesome. Hope it's ok if I peek in on the October class! I will read and reread your post! Thanks!

Olivia.
Olivia, that is what SR is for and that is why we are all here for each other. I am extremely open on here and have nothing to hide. If my journey can help even one person, I am blessed. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months C23😁
Old 02-22-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I'm feeling pretty low today, so I'll keep this quick. Sad about my Mom mostly and my daughter, who just isn't leading the life a teen should be leading. And watching someone you care so much about age and deteriorate is heart wrenching. Hence, I'm feeling low. Not in danger of drinking. Never even thought about it, so that's good. It's not an option anymore.

I feel like I'm living on the very fringe of society - I can't explain it, but I am, and the only time I feel like a productive, normal person is when I'm in the office at work. Otherwise, I feel very much like an outsider. I think it's because of my divorce and all of my kids' issues - oh yeah, and the fact that I can't go out for a drink with people in my social sphere. There I go again - what a downer I am! I will shut up now. I wish I was just one of these people who stops drinking and everything magically falls into place. It's not happening.

Grizzly, I enjoyed the story of you trying to walk your cat. That put a smile on my face. Cats are funny creatures. If it makes you feel any better, my dog is only a *slightly* better walker than that (not much). He has to stop to sniff every little leaf and twig, piece of dirt or sign post. He's a funny one. Better day tomorrow... I can hope.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Administrator

My motto is fix what I can, try not to worry about the rest Juno.

I hope tomorrow is better for you

D
Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats again Chris - hiya Griz Winslow and Olivia

D
Old 02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Hi Dee!!
Congrats, C23!! What a huge accomplishment!! That is so wonderful : )
I'm sorry to hear you had a rough day, juno. I'm with Dee, I hope tomorrow is better for you! You are dealing with a lot, but you aren't drinking over it, and that is huge progress. I hope you feel proud of yourself for that. I'm proud of you : )
Animals are so funny! I just adore them. When I got Yosemite from the animal shelter, I was looking at all these cats, and the workers there were like you like the gray one, right? Get the gray one... please. We'll give you a discount! I knew I was in for it when they put him in the cat carrier, and the carrier was going bam!bam! banging all over the floor. He is spirited. He crashed last night after his walk, but he was all spry today, so we're going to keep working on this walk thing.
I had a hectic start to my morning, but later when I was driving to work, I had a family of 5 deer cross in front of me. I just stopped and watched them and certainly made sure no one else was bringing up the rear. They were beautiful! It was really lovely. I took it as a sign that it was going to be a good day. I guess it was if I truly believe that finding out today that I am not going to get the house is what is supposed to happen. I am disappointed, and I do not currently have any alternatives in mind, but everything is a process. I think I am going to take a minute to get over the stress and letdown of that deal then reevaluate. I didn't go for the cookies this time. Instead I ran hard, and I am going to watch an episode of my favorite zombie show. And everything is going to be alright.
I hope tomorrow brings good things for us, gang!!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Hey all -

Grizzly, I am so sorry!! Did you lose the house? I think I read that but you sounded so okay and calm I wasn't sure. If so, you are taking such a good attitude and I know it will all work out the way it's supposed to!

I love animals, too. I love the name of your cat - that is so cute! He sounds like a real character. My dog is a character, too. So human like - he communicates with us and understands so many English words. Amazing, right? We never taught him all that - he just learned on his own. I love deer, too. We have a lot of them where I live even though it's a populous area. I have had the pleasure of running into them once or twice on my morning or evening walks. My dog would go ballistic and they just looked at us with this expression - what's the big deal? So cute. The biggest danger to them around here is getting hit by a car which happens a lot. Whenever I see a dead deer on the side of the road I say a silent prayer for them and that I'm sorry about what happened... I actually do that for any animal I see dead on the side of the road - a fox, a racoon, a squirrel, an opposum. I'm sensitive like that - it makes me sad.

So my night last night went from bad to worse. I was already feeling really low and sad and my son w/ autism got in a mood himself. He went from happy to anxious about a fun upcoming trip we're going on. He started giving me a hard time about the time of day I picked to fly, how many days we're going for, etc. And I was getting more and more upset because I tried my best to balance all the needs. Then he started saying really horrible things about his Dad and how much he hated him. It REALLY upset me, because his Dad really loves him and does a lot for him even if they don't see eye to eye all the time. I defended his Dad and it got T even more upset. Then he started saying he wished that we never got divorced and why did we? He blamed it all on his Dad's girlfriend, who really had nothing to do with it - she came along after we had already divorced. So I defended her, too. Then T (my son) said all the darkness came along after the divorce and that I should have stayed married. It cut into my soul and made me so sad and lots of guilt feelings came up. I got divorced for lots of reasons - some that were silly and some that were real (we didn't connect anymore) but it made me feel so horrible and guilty that I started crying and went to my room to be alone. Later, T came up and asked me if was going to help him with his homework. I told him that I was planning on it but he went on a tirade about anxiety over the trip, saying bad things about his Dad and saying bad things about me. He said, "I never said bad things about you." Which is true, he didn't, but he said things that hurt me very much and cut into my soul.

We did the homework but it was really tough because we were both very upset. I had to take extra anxiety meds to go to sleep. I slept well and had more celebrity romance dreams which was nice, but when I woke up I was very groggy from the meds. Still am - and I'm drinking coffee to try to wake up.

At least I'm sober. And happy about that. Today is a new day.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

p.s. To add to the bad news, my daughter's boyfriend broke up with her last night. We kind of knew it was coming. He was acting like a jerk always going out with his friends and leaving her behind. I know it had to happen, they are only 17. But ouch, it hurts.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Every so often I check in and read some posts. So happy to see the progress many of you are making. It makes me happy.

Sobriety does not come without some heartache and setbacks. Shoot, we used alcohol to numb ourselves from the good and the bad. Once that numbing agent (alcohol) is removed, we are forced to actually deal with our emotions and feelings. It can be painful, but man is it worth it.

I wish you all the best. A day at a time. I came here quite a few years ago, looking to find a way to stop moderate my drinking. ha. I am an alcoholic, no doubt about it. Once I accepted that, my mindset started to change. Alcohol is simply not an option for me. But that being the case, I needed to find a way to cope with life and be happy. Simply removing the alcohol is a miserable way to live.

A little over six years later without a drink, life is better than I ever thought possible. Yes, "life" still happens but dealing with it clear headed is such a gift. I pray you all experience the many blessings sobriety has to offer. I have to remind myself every day that I AM an alcoholic. Every morning I get up, I make the choice if I am going to drink that day or not. We all have that choice. But for us alcoholics, we know what decision we need to make. There is nothing so bad in life that a drink can't make worse.

Brent K.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that bdiddy - good to see you

I hope the week gets better for you & your family, Juno

I totally agree with you Griz - everything is going to be alright!

D
Old 02-23-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Hey all, sorry so quiet lately,seems I've come down with yet another cold😷 I think its from sick customers coming in when they KNOW they're sick when they should be home! Ugh,will post properly tomorrow, hope everyone is well😊
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Thank you, juno and dee!! I really appreciate the support : )
Thank you, bdiddy, for the encouragement! Congrats on 6 years!!
Yep, juno, the house I wanted so bad will not be mine. When the appraisal came in low, they wouldn't lower the sales price, and I'm not going to pay more than what's it worth. I am getting reimbursed for the appraisal, so I'm only out $14 for a credit check and my time. I woke up this morning kind of sad about it, but the seller was a delusional butthole. I don't want to give $133,000+ to a butthole! Today is my 5 month anniversary, and I decided I am not going to let anything put a damper on my accomplishment. I had my consultation today about doing a chemical peel for my face. I am so excited that I made the appointment for next week! It is expensive, and I wouldn't be doing it so soon if it was going to work out with the house, but today I was like I've earned it, and it will make me feel so good! I'm torn on keeping the $500 it will cost to go towards a house later or do it next week because I've wanted to do it for so long. For now I'm keeping the appointment for next Wednesday...
Juno, that sounds like a really hard night last night. I'm sorry to hear that. That would definitely make me sad too. Has today gone better? Is your daughter holding up alright? Gosh, going through breakups at that age seems like the biggest deal in the world. I remember thinking I would never get over it. You're hanging tough and doing great!!!
Winslow, how's it going?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi Winslow! I just asked about you, I guess we were posting at the same time : ) I hope you feel better soon!!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 5 months Griz. I'm sorry about the house too but I agree you shouldn't pay an unfair or unrealistic price

D