Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 21

Old 11-04-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
It has been the same here; can you believe it???? I can't remember a warmer November.
It's amazing Leigh. Think is was 75 today in the sun. Rest of the week predicted to be like this too. Long range finds us in the 60's next week even. A true Indian summer!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
It's amazing Leigh. Think is was 75 today in the sun. Rest of the week predicted to be like this too. Long range finds us in the 60's next week even. A true Indian summer!
It's supposed to be in the high 70's on Friday here!!!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Day 23: Feeling very lazy and unproductive these days, which is usually a bad sign. Going to try to call some people up and set up a night out. The positives of sober life have really just been the absence of the negatives that came with drinking, but even that is an improvement, I suppose. Hoping to rekindle some of my passion for living soon.

Glad to see that I've still got October classmates sticking around Keep it up, all.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

What's up strongenough? Nice job on 23 days! You may have posted in the wrong year. This is the 2014 class. No worries though. Keep up the great work. 8)
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Just rolling in from a long day. The girls are all shopping (no surprise there) so a few minutes of quiet for me. I had to get the lawn guy out to mow again today. The grass doesn't know it's November! No complaints from me....the yard looks great after all the rain. I almost hate to see the frost get it.

I'm so glad you got an appointment Briar and I hope you other ladies are on the mend.

Looking ahead to Saturday, I have a college friend and his wife that have moved to town. We're having them to dinner and it's beginning to feel normal to not plan on any alcohol. Don't know if they'll expect it, but we're going to have a nice time regardless.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

What kind of lawn grass grows in your area, Mark?
Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Most lawns have centipede and maybe some St. Augustine in the areas with more shade. Centipede is most common though.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Not too familiar with southern grass species, but I'm sure you guys have zoysia grass.

What's goin on Venuscat?! How are you today?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

We are in the transition zone for grasses so nothing grows really well here. Most lawns are tall fescues; they go unattractively dormant in the heat and drought; and they don't stay all that green in the winter months. They only look nice in the Spring and Autumn months.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Actually Arbor....I was feeling pretty down to be honest, but people keep cheering me up.

Dee just posted this song in the 24-hour thread: ~

I couldn't agree more!! ♥♥
Old 11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Tall fescues are becoming the more recommend variety to plant around here instead of the spoiled rotten Kentucky blue. They are less chemical and fertilizer dependent and hold up to foot traffic and soil compaction nicely. Problem is most people don't like the size of the blade and it doesn't have that classic rich dark green color like Kentucky blue in a New England setting.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Well I'm glad I asked then V. I think your really great btw. An inspiration. It makes me happy to know such an amazing person on the other side of the globe.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

That's exactly how I feel about all of you Arbor. Really. ♥

OH...and re the get together....how exactly are Dee and I supposed to get there? Huh? I hope you are all saving for our plane tickets.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Cheer up. Your doing GREAT! 8)
Old 11-04-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Tall fescues are becoming the more recommend variety to plant around here instead of the spoiled rotten Kentucky blue. They are less chemical and fertilizer dependent and hold up to foot traffic and soil compaction nicely. Problem is most people don't like the size of the blade and it doesn't have that classic rich dark green color like Kentucky blue in a New England setting.
I love the size of the tall fescue blade; it is a beautiful grass. The transition zone tends to have a lot of invasive warm weather grasses which are hard to eradicate or control without the use of something like RoundUp which, of course, kills the fescue, also; the warm weather grasses (like Bermuda) don't mix well with the cool weather grasses in coloration and appearance and have that rhizome/stolon growth pattern which tends to choke-out the fescues.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

No fescue here. Some folks do prefer the very fine blades of bermuda.....but if you have a dog there tend to be yellow spots where they potty.
Some people will overseed for a green winter lawn, but I've never done it.

V, I definitely plan to make it to the Southern Hemisphere at some point. I've got to find a time that I can be away for the three weeks or so needed to do it up right. I'm grooming a couple of associates though, so it may be realistic in the next few years for me to be away at length. I remember the vacation rental your sister has in NZ. Hawaii is a great central spot to meet up....I love it there.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Well I'm glad I asked then V. I think your really great btw. An inspiration. It makes me happy to know such an amazing person on the other side of the globe.
^^^^ Ditto.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
No fescue here. Some folks do prefer the very fine blades of bermuda.....but if you have a dog there tend to be yellow spots where they potty.
Some people will overseed for a green winter lawn, but I've never done it.

I definitely plan to make it to the Southern Hemisphere at some point. I've got to find a time that I can be away for the three weeks or so needed to do it up right. I'm grooming a couple of associates though, so it may be realistic in the next few years for me to be away at length. I remember the vacation rental your sister has in NZ. Hawaii is a great central spot to meet up....I love it there.
I agree; Hawaii would be great!!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Leigh, are you a suburbanite or out in the country?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I'm a suburbanite, I guess.