Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 8

Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Went to the ocean today. I was looking for you Tooshabby. I think I could almost see New Zealand from California. Not so much.

5 months today woohoo. Still getting that itch to drink. Its rather annoying at this point. Like a mosquito bite you scratch and it makes it worse. Should just let it be.
Going to a meeting and some sight seeing this weekend. Take care all
Old 12-05-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 months Let! :-)
Old 12-06-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hope y'all have a safe, calm, sober, peaceful Sunday (hug)!
Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend.

Let- Yay- 5 months! I hope your LA trip is not too bad. I know what you mean about the time zone changes. (One of my CA sisters had a birthday this week. Tried to stay up till she got home so I could talk to her. Didn't make it; sent a text and off to bed. ) Take care of yourself.

And you didn't see NZ over there on the left? Shabby was waving to you...
How *are* you Shabby?

fantail- I was so glad to see your "thanks" above. How are you? I hope the sickness wasn't too bad.

KeyofC- It sounds like you're doing a good job of thinking it out. It's not easy, of course...

Upwards- Fwiw, If you *do* decide to take that job, I'm sure you'll be fine since you're planning for the contingencies... (Extra income would be nice too!)
Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

So I've been preoccupied with work. I think it's an attempt to get away from brooding over the horrible world/national news... I keep thinking of all these "H" emotions. The Horrible H-es; both the actions and the reactions.
Hateful, Hysterical, Heinous.... Must stop brooding. I think it's the negative bias you're talking about, Upwards.

Yesterday I finally got back to yoga. I took a looong class. It really helps to ground me; "hug-the-earth" is a good pose.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Ah, yes Toki, I think if we all hugged the Earth once a day, in some form, there'd be a lot less heinous and horrible stuff going on. Humility is a sorely lacking quality in many people and governments these days.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hello everyone! Congratulations, 5 monthers!

Toki, the sickness wasn't so bad. It ended up being a day and a half, nothing too terrible (although I was very much a baby about it while it was happening). Thanks for thinking of me.

Upwards, I think you;re preparing yourself well for the job. That said, I bartended the other night. It was at a nice fancy catered event, everyone sipping and having little hors d'ouevres with a live band. It made drinking look fun and fancy. No one was messy, everyone was happy. I never got close to actually having a drink, but I really did want one in a wistful kind of way. As you say, it's the kind of thing that can get working on your subconscious. If you take the job, is it the kind of thing where you could quit suddenly if necessary without damaging your reputation or professional relationships?

KeyofC, hang in there. Things sound really hard right now, but I'm glad you're so aware of it and so careful in the way you're thinking about it. You still have your optimism, and that's so important and valuable. Hugs to you.

Let, I could say nearly the same to you although it sounds like maybe things are picking up a bit for you?

As for me, doing well. Busy. Proud of myself: lots of hard, heart-string-pulling conversations with the boyfriend/ex-boyfriend, but no urges to drink. Despite tears from both of us. I'm much stronger than I was a few months ago.

I do wish there were a lot more hours in the day, though. I've decided that I need to get going on a daily exercise routine before the month is up... I'm still tired all the time. I also need to see a doctor about this, as I've been saying for months now.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
now's the time

Oh and yes... the current events are terrible. I've been feeling a bit frightened over the last few days about where things are heading. It scares me the way people are talking, especially about race and religion.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Congratulations, let!!! 5 months is amazing :-) You have done so well accomplishing that when you are so often out of your routine and away from home. Much admiration!

Good on you for having that conversation, fantail. They are never easy. I bet you feel relieved for having done so.

I don't really have much to report. Things are just trucking along. I had a job interview last week which I think went okay....am yet to hear back. It will be an extra 25 hours a week if I get it.

Love to everyone :-)
Old 12-07-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

I'm still here guys! Just been real busy today and I'm exhausted! ((Hug)) thanks for all the comments. They always help me!
Old 12-08-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday All! Another day survived. More free booze last night but I didnt think twice. I hope you all have a great day.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Good to see you all checking in. Sounds like we're all doing our best to steady the ship.

fantail- Great to hear from you and am impressed that you were able to have those talks with bf/xbf...

Upwards- Did you decide to take that job?

Shabby- Have you heard back about your potential job?

Letitgo- I tell ya, I'm really impressed with your fortitude!

Key- Are you feeling better?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

The news has been bothering me even more. That was a real doozy this morning... Fear-mongering is the *worst*. So I'm still spending a lot of time at work to distract myself.

Thought I'd tell you about a coworker:

There are three of us teachers that share an office. One of them is Gym Teacher Guy-- marathon-running, football-coaching gym teacher. One day a few weeks ago, it was just me, GT and Student Teacher guy. GT was talking to ST about "when I was drinking", etc. etc.. So, being the Nosy Nelly I am, I ask "So'd ya drink a lot?" (real subtle, eh).

He tells me his story. It seems he grew up in a town in WI (our good neighbors to the east). He said everyone called the place "a drinking town with a football problem". Apparently, he drank often and a lot. He kept drinking after marriage and kids. One night he was playing Candyland with daughter. She asked him why he always had a beer with him. Wake-up call. He said his wife also gave him an ultimatum--

GT then mentioned outpatient and said that it got him on track for his now 2-year sobriety. He said his old friends are still drinking a lot. They have various festivals in town that he made a point to miss the first year. In his words, "I wasn't ready to listen to the 'What are you, a wuss?-s**t'.

So of course I told him that I had a problem too (and that I had stopped as well)
He and I are pretty good buddies now.

There are sober friends all over the place!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Toki that's awesome! Recovery is all around us indeed. I think it definitely helps to have people who are present in your daily life in your corner.

One of the waitresses at my part time restaurant job has 2 years. When we say hey to one another there's a special knowledge behind it that warms my heart.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

(((Hug)))!
I'm checking in so you know I'm ok. I'm good. Just been so busy with work and I'm exhausted. I promise it'll calm down soon and I'll be back!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

That's so great, tokes. I love hearing about people allowing themselves to be vulnerable and by doing so making meaningful connections :-)

I haven't heard about the job yet, although my two referees informed me that the woman who interviewed me said to them that she was concerned I might be 'too nice' for the job and therefore unable to give difficult feedback. Mr TS said I should have made him a referee - ha ha :-D

Oh well, we'll see what happens. I must admit to feeling a teensy bit glum. I need to be busier, but if that isn't the job for me, so be it.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

What is a referee? Like a headhunter or job finder?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Wow, I think I may be experiencing PAWS. The last couple days my mood has been especially hard to control. I have felt clumsy, especially getting off my bike and handling tools at work, and a couple of times I even had some difficulty pronouncing words without slightly slurring them. I've had some heart palpitations today and I just kind of feel off. At one point I even had to ask myself "I haven't been drinking have I?"

I'm near day 150 which they say is a vulnerable time, but who knows? I've been letting slide with my diet and rest, and have been exercising and working to exhaustion.

Maybe this is the beginning of my rock bottom with caffeine and I'm really going to have to quit.

Gotta take better care of myself!

Hope everyone's hanging in there!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hey, that's no good, Ups. I wonder if you have some kind of virus, maybe?

Let, a referee is someone you worked with either in the past or currently who can recommend you for the job you are applying for. Hey, funny, over here 'The Headhunters' are a very scary gang. They would probably make damn good referees!! I know what you mean by that, though :-) Hope you are going well(?)

I wonder how Holds is. I wish he would come back. We don't care about his wife's trash talking. Holds, if you happen to be reading, we miss you!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no Dr - could be a virus like TS says, but this is a pretty good link on PAWs...see if it fits anything Upward?

PAWS | Digital Dharma