Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 8

Old 12-13-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
now's the time

Happy birthday Lupita! Your chimes sound like such a wonderful way to spend time. Is it complex to play your part, or is the trick more in the timing with the others in the group?

CBF, I agree. It's amazing. When I'm drinking, time seems to stretch on forever... I can't imagine how I'd possibly fill an evening without drinking. But when I'm sober I always feel that I don't have nearly enough time for all the things I want to do. It's very counterintuitive but I love it!

Let, I'm impressed by how you've been managing these cravings (and how long). I feel like I only get a real craving maybe once every few days, and for the most part they're pretty mild. You're really standing up to the test with all the travel and the stress.

Key, great to hear from you. It's really admirable how much work you're doing on yourself and your life. I agree, I often feel like I don't really know quite who I am these days. It's hard but I'm glad you're embracing the change as much as possible. Hang in there!

Sorry you're sick, Upwards!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
now's the time

It was in the 70s today. Bizarre. And it felt like spring, too... some quality in the air was spring-like. I had to keep reminding myself that it's nearly Christmas! It's kind of ominous, of course. But for my first sober winter, and only my second real winter in 10 years, I'm guiltily grateful!

So far my winter survival plan is ice skating lessons and joining a bocce league. I also just found a hideously ugly but structurally sound triptych room screen at the salvage store, so I'm going to clean that up and repaint the wood and make some paintings over the fabric. I've been wanting to paint a screen for years, actually, so I'm really excited about this!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Spring in December down here in Georgia too. I spent all day indoors at work but it was lovely to bike to my meeting in the balmy air this evening.

I finally gave in and enrolled for health insurance. Uncle Sam is twisting my arm: pay out the nose for crappy coverage or get penalized on my meager tax return. Well, at least I can catch up on my doctor visits: I'm the worst. I haven't been to any health practitioner in years.

I had a few dreams last night that left me feeling wistful all day and have put a lot of thoughts of using in my head. I laid awake in the middle of the night arguing with my AV about psychedelics and in the morning all that crap was still there
There's no desire or opportunity or anything, it's just one of those "what if" mind games my AV plays to try to get its foot in the door.

The dreams also got me all stirred up about a long ago ex. I've felt lonely all day and aware of how totally aloof from romance I feel right now. I couldn't imagine being intimate with someone in this half metamorphosed state, yet I do miss it sometimes.
Oh whatever, must be this spring breeze that's blowing through town.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Oh, and Happy birthday Lupita Tokidoki! what a mouthfull!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday tokidoki

D
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Toki!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Tokidoki! Hope you had a great one.

I got onto it with my av and we quit SR today.
I went to an awesome morning aa meeting on the oceanfront. I walked the beach. I went back to my hotel and i wanted to say f it. Get some whiskey, beer and smokes and watch football. It was planned out. Lonlieness again. Then i remembered i made plans for a concert tonight with a coworker. Glad i went. A sober concert was outstanding. The light show made feel like i was on somethimg. It was amazing. And at $12 a beer i didnt think twice about drinking.

I had a heart to heart with my wife today also. This constant travel is becoming too much. I need my family and they need me.
So i am going to make a plan to make a position change possibly.

Thanks for your inspiration and sharing your battle wounds and scars fellow Julyers.
Glad ubertoadie checked in.
I am for some parts of obamacare like you cant deny coverage for prexisting conditions. But its a failure and its raising rates. People cant afford and now they are screwed of they buy it and screwed if they don't. Like cash for clunkers. People buying stuff they cant afford for a political agenda.

Rambling. That concert got me wired up in a good way. Have a nice monday!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really glad you stayed sober Letitgo

D
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Hey happy birthday Toki!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Evening all.

Just checking in as day 4 comes to a (fairly early) close. Hope you are all having a pleasant day.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hi guys - been away for a day or two but have just caught up on all the posts. I'm really glad you didn't drink too, let. It does sound like another job might be a good idea. It must be so hard being away from your family so much of the time.

Speaking of jobs - I got the one I applied for. Thanks for asking, guys. Should be starting sometime soon, maybe this week or next. Phew....I needed the money and to be busier :-)

Gosh yes, hanging around with drunk people for hours when you aren't is sheer hell. For me probably the biggest things that dissuade me from drinking is feeling so wrecked afterwards, being a pain to my partner and bad role model for my son, and the damage it does to my self-esteem. Boy, when you start writing out a list it really doesn't look like much a good deal.

Glad you are doing well and feeling positive, cbf, and everyone else - sounds like you are doing great! This is a good class to be in :-)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for the birthday wishes.

Yay, Shabby- on getting the job!

Glad you're hanging in there, Cbf!

Let- It's good that you managed yesterday and that you were able to have a talk with your wife...

Just want to throw it out there that Obamacare has been a lifesaver for me and younger daughter. In fact, daughter is still on it- till the end of the month when I have to look again on the private market for an individual plan-ugh!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Wow Let, I commend you for being able to step back from the edge like that. Regarding your earlier post, it's not dickish to pursue a better paying job to alleviate stress on you and your family! It sounds like a sane choice to me!

Congrats on your new job, Shabby!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
now's the time

I just signed up for health insurance too. At least for me, I found a really good low-deductible plan with low co-pays and dental for $200 a month. I mean, that's a lot on my budget... but I remember trying to shop around for a health plan in 2009 and hearing numbers like $500 - $1500 a month! So I'm feeling very pro-ACA this evening.

In any case, I'm just so excited to see a doctor. I really can't wait to get to the bottom of my fatigue. I haven't had a full check up in a really, really long time.... Over 5 years, easily. It'll be nice to have that off my list of things to be concerned about.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congrats on the job Shabby!! Is it something you're looking forward to in terms of the specific work you'll be doing?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tooshabby!!
The job search pays off. I hope its a great fit for you.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday all! I had a solid Monday. Made some work progress. Some bordom at night so i hit a meeting. It was an all gay or majority gay meeting and a bit raunchy. I had a good time regardless . Very friendly and caring crowd. There is a ton of sobriety in SoCal.

I spoke with someone and they were impressed I made it 5 months without a sponsor. SR has always been a huge part of my program. It made me feel good and thankful for SR most definately. Take care all.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Thanks Shabbs, well done on the new job!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Evening Class!

I find myself SO ready to just hop into bed after the end of a long day in work these days. Particularly knowing I'll wake up sober again tomorrow.

Day 5 out of the way. Day 6 here I come!

Have a good one!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Thanks guys....yes, Fantail, I am looking forward to it. I'll be working for a non-government organisation helping young people. The money isn't great but there are different rewards. It's 25 hours a week so I can still work for myself a bit but with this job I get to work with others in a team which I'm really craving.

I'm sure the doctor will get that sorted for you, Fan. Sounds like some blood tests may be in order. Check out the B 12 levels, thyroid etc....nothing worse than constant fatigue.

Way to go, cbf and let :-) I'm proud of you guys. My AV was pretty bad there for a couple of weeks but has settled down of late. God it's a real pain, isn't it? Ugh. Will I have to put up with this for the rest of my life? Hopefully not.

Upwards, I get where you're coming from. It is lovely when you're in a good relationship. I wasn't very healthy emotionally during the first few years of mine. It's been 18 years now and luckily for me Mr TS tolerated it and I managed to come out the other side, a lot of which was due to his unfailing love. So I suppose I'm saying imo, people don't necessarily have to be fully healthy to enter into and still manage to give and receive in a relationship. I mean, yes, ideally we would all be sorted before we begin, but life isn't ideal, and there is great healing power in a relationship. I'm so humbled by it and very grateful

Love to everyone xxxx