# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of July 2015 Part 8

last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-7-a.html
D
Old 10-22-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fitting birthday cake to celebrate our 8th thread....

Old 10-22-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have a good relaxing evening!
Old 10-22-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Checking in.

Another long day of parent-teacher conferences. Just waiting for the sun to go down so I can go to bed.

letitigo- So glad the appointment went well!
Please hang in there. Sending all good vibes and prayers your way.

Upwards and fantail - You both sound grounded.
I hope you keep doing what you're doing.

KeyofC- Sounding good!

Shabby- Didn't know you'd been a teacher. Interesting...

Toadie- Good for you! And I'm still queen of the castle.

Take care, everyone.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BTW Shabby, love the cake!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah that is a great cake.

Struggling a bit this week. I often work from home on Fridays which is sort of nice, but always makes me want to drink Thursday night. Will be a tough weekend I think.

I'm chronically anxious, drives me crazy.

I've been watching the ALCS baseball series and really enjoying it. I never really watched baseball before, and it's really interesting. Usually don't watch sports, except occasionally for equestrian and horse racing- and even then just the Kentucky Derby, and other crown races.

Hope everyone is well.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all, hope everyone is hanging in there. I'm doing about as well as yesterday. More stress from work, but it's a daily reprieve to go to a meeting and get centered after a stressful day.

I'm really looking forward to going to the gym in the morning. It's becoming something that really feels like me-time that is productive and rewarding, and has nothing to do with work!
Happy sober Friday tomorrow!!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hit up an AA meeting. I always feel a little ackward because i never go to the same meeting and i do not know anyone. Its good for anonymity but it would be nice to catch up with others. Anyway i was craving a cigarette all day and this was actually a smoking meeting. I got so much 2nd hand smoke i felt sick. I smell really bad also. So the meeting reminded me not to light up. The tape played out right in front of me in AA. Not One Puff Ever!!
Most people were chain smoking. It was gross. Such a nasty and horrible habit or so I am strongly trying extremely hard to sell myself on.

They had a great speaker that talked of anxiety, panic attacks and depression. It struck a cord because alcohol significantly contributed to me having these issues. He talked about not ever feeling normal or ok with himself unless he was drunk. He talked about god and his relationship. Lots of ding ding dings went pff in my head. Really glad I went.

But what got me most was when he talked about the pain we caused others. Its great to be sober but we still need to fix the damage we created. I was just proud to be sober and i recognize its not nearly enough.
My goal on this trip is 30 mins exercise everday, 15 minutes meditation, 10 minutes of journaling, and 5 minutes of gratefulness. I am going to start tomorrow.
Toadie glad to hear your still master of your domain. That was a great Seinfeld episode

Great cake Tooshaby.

Glad your doing well Key and your hubby is home.

I am happy things are going better Upwardspiral.

Thanks for checking in Tokidoki.

Glad your here callmelily and go bluejays!!

Have a great night all!!
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Hey Class! Hope all is well with each & every one of you!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to be strong Let, it's gotta be hard to sit in the midst of smokers and not smoke. It is a disgusting habit, IMHO!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ha! I missed the Seinfeld reference!

That's a brilliant goal letitgo :-)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hiya guys! (Hug)
Have a calm sober Saturday..I know there's a little bit of struggling for a few. I pray you'll pull through and keep going.
Everybody else is sounding really good, so proud for you!
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Whew.
Glad the workweek is over and in the books.

Older daughter & bf are coming here soon so that should be fun.

letitigo- I'm glad you found a great meeting. Sounds like you're working up a few good strategies.

Hang in there everyone!!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi again all!

Milly, do you do any in-person meetings? If you're not opposed to it, it might be nice for you to find a Friday or Saturday meeting to attend every week... It might help with the Thursday cravings if you know you're about to see the same sober people you see every week.

Toki, congrats on getting through a tough workweek!

Letitgo, good job on not smoking. I'm still struggling on that front. I don't smoke that much -- 1 or 2 a day -- but I really want to cut it out. It's hard to be good about it since it doesn't have the immediate drawbacks that drinking does. It does help that it's so gross, so I'm embarrassed about it!

I've been having just the craziest couple of weeks. I'm working full-time at the natural food store, just while I'm training, so that's been a bit nuts. My body's adjusting to carrying heavy boxes and running around all day. And then I had a huge important deadline for my freelance work, and on a type of project I've never done solo before, so I was working at least half-time and maybe more on that. The madness continues til the end of next week, then it's part-time at the store and the other thing calms down a bit as well.

It's intense... I slept for 16 hours on my one day off, and when I woke up I hadn't even moved position from when I fell asleep! But it's also great to feel useful. I was half-assing it for such a long time, and by the end barely even working, just skating by. I'm grateful to be a contributing member of society again. Plus the non-profit I'm doing the freelance work for is so great, and so in need of someone with my skillset, so that's a great feeling. I did the majority of it pro-bono because they couldn't afford my rates. Which paid off, as they now have me on retainer for a full day of work a week.. but even if it hadn't, it makes me feel good to have been able to give good people something of very tangible value.

That's me basically... when I'm not doing one of those two things, I'm sleeping or going to AA. I've made a couple of AA friends my age, so that's pretty awesome, too.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantail, glad you have found some fulfilling work. It’s a good feeling to put in full days and know you are accomplishing something

Toki I hope you enjoy the time with your family

Hi KeyofC and all, thanks for the support.

Let I quit smoking in 2006…it is tough but good for you hanging in. It is a very tough habit to break but one day it will just seem gross with no cravings at all.

Fantail, I haven’t gone to AA meetings. I’ve gotten as far as looking up the times, but can’t bring myself to just walk in alone. I’m a real introvert/isolated, so not sure I can do it.

I’ve had cravings this weekend, but have just said No : ) Occasionally I try to find a therapist as I have a lot of anxiety, but can’t seem to find one that feels right. I’ve also had a lot of therapy in the past, so I know all the coping skills it’s just using them.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congrats on staying strong, Milly!!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That sounds terrific Milly and Fantail. I know what you mean about feeling like you're contributing, Fantail. Seems to be really important to mental health - being engaged with the world. I need more of it. For the first time in a long time I feel like I want to engage more with the world.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Uber Toadie has been having a blast learning the system and picking up riders...not sure yet if it's profitable enough to keep doing.

Having some interesting experiences with intoxicated riders, nobody has gotten sick yet and I feel I'm doing a good service getting these people home...time will tell...

Stay the course fellow July 2015ers!
Old 10-25-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Really rough day on both craving fronts but glad i held strong. Like i forgot addiction is a mind screw and it took me for a ride yesterday

Still master of my domain Toadie. I have heard great things about uber. I guess the cabbies hate it because the charge much less. Its about time. Cab prices are crazy high. America and capitalism love it or leave it. Also make sure you buy the special auto insurance for the ridshare program.

Fantail thats sound like a cool gig freelance. Do you work at whole (paycheck) foods? I love the brownies there. I eat there every night 1lb of food for $8. Anyway i am back in philly. I want to do the Rocky running up the steps and check out the art museum. Do you have any suggestions of must sees?
Callmelilly i know anxiety. Ride it out or distraction works well. I try that but usually end up ruminating which is the worst thing you can do. Another habit that dies hard. Good luck in finding a new therapist. I wish i had thd time to see one.
Hugs Tooshabby and Key of C. Seems like class is dwindling people wise After my day through hell yesterday I see why. Addiction sucks but lets rock 1 day at a time. Happy Sunday Funday All!!!!!!