Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 6

Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

kitty: Yeah, I tend to be fairly emotional these days as well, especially when I go into town, people watch, start talking with strangers, etc. Congrats on quitting smoking, and hope you can manage both addictions at once.

KeyofC: Come on, please don't ever think you post too much. You're very well loved here, and hopefully you know that. The more you post, the better.

Retread: Congrats, and welcome to the world of self employment. As if death wasn't enough of a reason not to drink, here's another one. Drinking and self employment tend not to go well together. All the best with your new venture!

Anyway, off topic. Read the first 6 chapters of the AA Big Book today, and wasn't impressed in the slightest. They call that a spiritual book? Hardly.

Speaking of that though, I do believe spirituality is the key to long-term sobriety, as that's the only thing that can provide us with the strength necessary. Has anyone ever read the book The Celestine Prophecy? If not, would recommend it if you're into spirituality. I'm reading it again myself right now.

It's a fictional story, easy read, but it's excellent. Chance it will change the way you view life, and in a very positive and healthy way. If wanted, you can find it for free. Just Google the title and put "filetype:pdf" at the end of the search. Look for the one from "PDF Archive".
Old 10-06-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I have to agree, not necessarily so spiritual in that sense. It can be a good guideline to help learn how to live better, think better, and be better. But again different strokes for different folks..I have been to a million AA and Alanon meeting when I was younger through my teenage years and young adult life. Honestly, the whole atmosphere isn't for me. However, I do like the guideline. I have read the book and I do use it for a guide to help me dig deeper into myself. The reasons I drink have to be acknowledged so I can deal with them and move the heck on. I've always said your HP can be anything that holds you accountable. It could be SR even as far as that goes. It's been debated several times on here does the HP have to be a spiritual being. I don't think so, as long as the HP keeps you accountable.
I do love your class too! Our differences really make us tick! Thanks TroyW..sometimes we just need someone to say "stop, you're good..."((hug))!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I will beat this
JL, you only fail if you quit trying. I see you are struggling as we all have, but trying and keep coming back here, so dont beat yourself up. Alcohol makes us down on ourselves. Try different things, routines, and you WILL beat it. You are a great Dad and we can all see how hard it is for you to see your kids sick. I know dads who think of taking care of or spending time with kids as "babysitting" and that irks. Its raising your children, not babysitting, and thats what you do JL. Much respect from me to you for that.

Seriously the going to bed early trick may really help to get over the Friday crave. I had a lot of day 5 fails, and got past one by knocking myself out with a sleep aid at 6 pm. Then went on to over 30 days before last week. Now what is it, day 6 and I didnt even think about 5 yesterday. Sometimes you just have to get past that first "jinx" day/event whatever it takes.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I went to AA for a year the last time I actually sobered up. Tried going back a few times before realizing it just isn't my thing. No offense to those who find it helpful and embrace it, I just think it isn't for everyone. That's why I like coming to SR; this is all the support I need and it's not a one-size-fits-all site.

I do have several friends from AA that I keep in touch with. I may attend a meeting or two, now that I'm sober again, just to say hello and offer up a hug or two. But I'm not going back into the program. It wasn't the right recipe for me, but it might be for others here who are struggling.

Sadie I agree with you about going to bed early. I did that for my first few weeks; I also had the benzos that the doctor gave me to help me relax. It was really useful to just kind of sleep through those worst couple of weeks.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thanks Sadie.
The going to bed early thing is actually the plan for Friday !
Old 10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I've been alcohol free since August 3rd. My AV hasn't bothered me yet about beer.

But I think I've developed another addiction. Every time I go to the grocery my AV starts screaming "Southern Buttered Pecan Ice cream and chocolate chip cookies".
Old 10-06-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Riding the emotional roller-coaster today, but I thought I'd drop by and say hi.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

I'm on it with you Patricia. Yee haw!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Yesterday was an "up" day, and today is not so "up." No reason for it, just moodiness. I go from being happy about my freedom to being worried about the bills and depressed. Oh, well. Guess I'll join you on that roller coaster!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

BBG! Lol me too Butter Pecan or Moosetracks! Too funny!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Strap me in I'll go too! ((Hug)) Patricia, Kitty, Retread!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

((Hugs!))
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Pahahahaaa perfect!
Old 10-06-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I usually don't have a chance to check in during the evening but decided to try tonight...lots going on!!

JL...I'm with our classmates...sorry about your kids being sick. I know first hand how tough that is...and no antibiotics??? Awful. ...stick with us. We've all been down a very bumpy road . Keep posting and stay close!!!

Retread...congrats and good luck.. My husband is in his own business and I can't say it will all be perfect but I wish you much success..go get 'em!

Key..I enjoy your posts and enthusiasm. You're delightful!

I enjoyed reading everyone's analogies to dumping all of our emotional crap...very clever.

As far as AA goes. I too, went 10 years ago and it got me sober. I stayed for 5years but it was never really for me. I went through the motions but I will not return again. No judgement towards the program intended at all

Thinking of you all xo
Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Lovehoops! I don't usually get to be on in the evenings. Left to my own devices tonight. I enjoy reading everyone's stuff too.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi guys - lots of thoughts on AA there.

we all have different ways of finding our way up the mountain.
Ways that work for others may not work for me and vice versa.

I never did AA, SMART, LifeRing or Rational Recovery but all those ways have saved the lives of good friends here.

I think the best thing to do is always share our experience on what works...focusing on what doesn't is a bit of a dead end IMO

If you're wondering what to do in terms of recovery groups, I reckon keep an open mind - go to as many different type of support meetings as you can and see what fits best

D
Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

They put my 7yr old on antibiotics today (duh). We got his schoolwork to keep up. He's ready to spend another day at his papas playing go fish. He kept a fever all day today. I got my butt run into the ground today at work. Whew. My job has serious perks, ( off paid many holidays, pension, ins, 4 - 10 hr days, but the bad is really bad- low $, no OT, get run absolutely to death, with no incentive. If I can focus on the good, it'd be better but it's not like focus is forte for me anyway with booze scrambling my brain. Enough of that!
Anyway, I'm on the coaster ride for sure.
Better than the crazy train. I got season pass on that one from my family genetics, I believe! Lol
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hey class. Just checking in.

I found out today that my older brother is in the hospital with a gastrointestinal bleed. They have him stabilized, but still don't know what is wrong with him. I think it might have something to do with his drinking -- he is seven years older than I am, and has been a very heavy drinker for most of his life. He also lost a lot of weight in the last six months (he needed to lose weight, but he wasn't trying) so there may be something very serious going on with him.

We are not at all close (I have not seen him for seven years) but I am worried about him and his family. On the selfish side, I also hope nothing is seriously wrong with him because I don't want to fly 2000 miles to see him. I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. In a sad way, it helps me renew my commitment to stay sober.

Oh well, nothing I can do but wait and see what happens next.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Vana, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother! Sending prayers and hugs.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
YI go from being happy about my freedom to being worried about the bills and depressed.
Don't worry Retread, that fear is healthy and a good thing. The depression not so much. That fear is what's going to keep you on your toes, and ensure you do the best job you can. Don't fret, I'm sure you'll do great.

Embrace that fear, and run with it. Don't let it get you down.