Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 19

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thanks guys, I know we will all get through it. I'm worried about my little daughter now because she was around us when all hell was breaking loose. Since then she's been very clingy and needy, and last night I was telling her a story about a butterfly going to its home, and she said "no mom, its home is gone, the bad guys killed it." Then I said it went to its friend's house instead, and she said "no, they killed that one too." Well, crap, pretty obvious what she's referring to. I tried to explain it a little tonight, but I'm such a rookie parent that I really don't know how to handle this. Im just mainly trying to give her lots of love and tell her she's safe and everyone is ok (which is obviously a lie considering they found another body today, but whatever).

In other news, I got new glasses today with a dramatically different prescription because it has been discovered that I am slightly cross eyed. Yeah. You can't see it, it's so slight, but that hasn't stopped my amused friends from trying. The new glasses have prism lenses that bend my vision so my eyes can relax into their naturally screwed up position, and it's quite an adjustment. My depth perception is way off, so not only am I cross eyed, I'm also running into things, and my friends could not be more entertained by this. It's ridiculous. But my new frames are super fly!

Arbor it's great to hear your resolve and positivity. Don't be discouraged if it gets hard for a while. I found the first 3 or 4 months to be a roller coaster. I wasn't real impressed with sobriety for a while. Luckily I had Dee here to flat out tell me I was wrong. And he was right. It's all good. You couldn't pay me to pick up a drink right now. Hang in there and have faith.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Thursday.

With my kids I found it best to not give detail on some things beyond what's absolutely necessary. Giving your baby lots of love and assuring her safety is enough imo. Kids seem to be beautifully resilient in most cases and she'll likely 'move on' if she thinks you have. Limiting what the kids heard on the news also was important and sometimes tricky (thank goodness for my quick draw on the mute button). I want my kids to be fully informed and well rounded adults some day, but the key word there is adult. Sometimes ignorance is bliss....and appropriately so.

Wishing each of you the best day.....gym time.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

That's some good advice there Mark. My parents kept us in the dark about most things growing up. Still do sometimes which is flat out annoying at this point.

Thanks for the encouragement Briar. I did have almost nine months so I kinda know how it goes early on. The wave of emotions. But this time it's different. Maybe because I'm doing it for me now. It's my special project and gift to me. Everyone else just reaps the benefits of a happy Arbor.

Have a great day.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Absolutely true Arbor, your family will reap the benefits of your sobriety!

Briar, let A bring things up and answer the best you can. At her age she does not require a lot of detail. She needs assurance.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Agreed with the others on reassuring the little one, Briar. Lots of reassurance you will keep her safe and not many gory details.

My daughter was about to turn 2 when 9-11 happened. On our street, there was great anxiety, as several families had a parent in NYC that day, or flying on flights to San Francisco, etc... My daughter was too young to notice any of it. However, there were two girls across the street, and they were Indian/Pakistani, and the parents were well aware of the potential future discrimination issues after such a tragedy. The mother was a very vocal, anxious woman, rather hysterical, on a regular basis. I am sure these girls heard a lot of fear talk, and worry, and they repeated it all to others. It was sad, because they were very stressed out. What they needed was love, support, reassurance, and not to hear all the "what ifs." Our community is so diverse and very liberal, that they were/are very safe here.

It was a good lesson, with a toddler, to take care with how much I share, though I tend to be very direct and open. But the details don't need to be shared.

There is a good Mr. Rogers quote about in any tragedy, or frightening event, look for the helpers. Focus on the positives, the people doing good, how you can find help, etc...

With stranger danger, I know we told the kids to stay away, not get into cars, run, yell, etc... But they have no idea what might happen if a stranger got them. I had to tell my daughter a bit more detail about that when she was 25, and more on her own, and rather trusting of others. At that age, more detail was needed to reinforce the caution. But not at 3, or even 8.

Day two of my 21 day fix. Well, I will officially start it with a group on Monday. There is a friend who does it with a support group, via the Beachbody company that sells the kits and shakes. I am not doing shakes. Just normal food. But for now, working through the eating plan and getting used to doing it quickly. There are several containers and you portion out the protein, veggies, etc... for the day. So, Briar, you had asked about it. I think, with all of your fun Bento meals, you would not need this kit. I can share some of the food combining with you. Just PM. It was overpriced if that is the basic bit I use. There are DVDs for daily workouts. Going to watch those and do at least one today. But it is providing good structure for me and forcing me to eat very balanced meals. That is good! Also, the calories are over what I try to do if I use MyfitnessPal. I have tired, when wanting to drop weight, to do 1200 calories, adding in more if I exercise. So, up to 1500. This is a range of 1500-1740 calories for me, at my current weight. That does presume I do one 30 minute workout provided, each day. So, I guess similar plans.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

(((Briar))); you are a good Mom. We all 'fly by the seat of our pants' when it comes to parenthood - no guide or user manual.

Just keep giving her love and answering her questions as honestly and gently as possible. As Phoebe said, focus on the positive and the goodness of the people who are trying to help.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reassurance. I think she's doing ok. Last night we talked about heroes because superheroes are a big thing at school. I told her that people are heroes too, like firefighters, police, doctors, etc. I told her my brother is a hero right now because he is helping to build safe new homes for people. Now she's all proud that her uncle is a hero.

Phoebe - I'm actually just attracted to the 21 day fix because of the cute little containers . There are vlogs on YouTube of people doing the program and recording their progress. I like to watch them for new food ideas. My staples are Greek yogurt, tuna, turkey, bananas, greens, low carb pita bread and tortillas, crackers like those ak-mak and wasa things, nuts, cheese, carrots, grapes, and apples. And dark chocolate, can't forget that! That's pretty much what goes in my face each day, so I try to rotate in a little variety.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I am all about my 4 net carb wraps. Except for a day or so on the weekend that's my only 'bread'. I need to check into the whole dark chocolate thing for the occasional sweet treat. Gotta look into how much sugar though....sadly I had to give up the nutella. Never heard of ak-mak wasa......you California folks!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

What brand are those low carb wraps, Mark? I have used a few off and on. Joseph's comes to mind. I am trying to go with little to no wheat while I try to lose. But a little here or there is okay. I also make a homemade flax wrap(egg, flax, oil, baking powder, water). But not sure that fits into the 21 day thing, calorie wise. Funny, you can have way more calories if you keep the carbs super low.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Phoebe, they are Mission carb balance soft taco. Got one warming for lunch. If you bake them until crisp and use a little sea salt, you can break them up and use in salsa, hummus etc.. There is also a pita version.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

I also like to use romaine lettuce leaves as vehicles for tuna and chicken salads instead of bread or crackers. Definitely cuts down on the carbs, and I find that I really don't miss them.

Mark I think I've seen those mission wraps at the store. I'll grab some next time. The pitas I've been getting are the Middle East brand. The low carb ones are thick and chewy, I love the texture.

I was actually talking weight loss today with a coworker who is dieting, and he asked what I've cut out of my diet. I said nothing really. Then he asked "alcohol?" And I was like "oh yeah! No alcohol. Makes a big difference!" I had completely forgotten about having "cut out" alcohol from my diet. It has just become normal that it's not part of my life.

So that was awesome.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers; see you tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Friday!

I love that Briar.....alcohol as an afterthought. Monumental shift of perspective there! It's a strange contradiction to me that I've been careful about what I eat for years but was still able to justify the tremendous volume of alcohol I asked my body to process. Maybe I thought eating well somehow offset the other. The physical benefits of a life sans alcohol have been rewarding to watch unfold and have really added to my enthusiasm on physical fitness.

The forecast calls for an exceptionally muggy weekend, but even that is easier to tolerate with the temps topping out in the upper 80s. My utility bills are outrageous anyway, but add to that all the watering and it's ridiculous.

Woke up a bit blue this morning but that's not unusual for me and nothing a good work out won't take care of. Wishing each of you the best day.

Gym time.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Sans alcohol. Too funny. I'm the same way Mark. Always ate well. No fast food or processed sugars. Plenty of veggies, fresh fruit. We cook every night, lots of exercise. Never had a weight issue. None of that mattered with shear amount of poison I was putting down my throat.

Weathers great up here. Stop on up for the weekend! 8)

Have a great day.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Administrator

Word on the grapevine is Venus has been ill - get well soon V!

D
Old 09-25-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post

Weathers great up here. Stop on up for the weekend! 8)

Have a great day.
Man oh man would I jump at that if I could! Travel getaways are pretty much my only occasional indulgence and that fall weather sounds mighty fine!

Thanks for the update Dee, I hope to see V back soon.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I hope you get well/feel better soon, V!!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

get well soon V!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Venus you are missed luv! Feel better.

I love the fall here. Light jacket weather with fabulous fall foliage. That storm that Arbor spoke of was the strangest thing I've ever seen. Several years back we had a heavy snowfall in October. The trees were still full of leaves and it was a disaster. The snow on top of the leaves was too heavy and tons of trees and power lines came down. These were old, majestic trees. It was very sad.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Yeah that was a disaster BD. Almost worse than Sandy believe it or not. Where I live and work there's nothing but old historic trees. Lots of Sugar Maple and Oak. Those were just crushed taking down everything else in their path. Was pretty scary. We were all trapped. Plows weren't ready and they wouldn't have gotten down the streets if they even were. Caught us all by surprise that storm did.