Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 19

Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Venus, big TV week head! Some good ones are back, and a few new ones of interest. Scream Queens with Jamie Lee Curtis for the horror fans, Life in Pieces with Dianne Wiest for the family feel good, Rosewood for the crime lovers, and of course, Rob Lowe. DVR will be quite busy!
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Daughter had fun, thanks, Mark! No driving yet, until she gets her permit. I seem to need to nudge her. Sent her a link to the study booklet for the permit test. She will need to memorize that to take the test. So, whenever she is ready, we can just pop in and wait to take it.

I am tired! One friend who lives an hour away slept over. So we were up late. I got up early to get bagels. First soccer game today, but far away. I will stay home with son and puppy.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

A hot toasted bagel and cream cheese is a nice breakfast for me if I'm traveling. A treat.

Thinking I want to go for a run. Lots of yard work yesterday and I need a break from it today. Bring on autumn!
Old 09-20-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Watching the Giants game after a nice afternoon meal. Fresh pasta with meat sauce over here at the in laws. Beautiful fall weather...
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Arbor - it's important for us to be reminded of the early recovery process. It's very dangerous for us to forget what that was like. And those things aren't just done and over, I live those early lessons every day. It helps us too to help another get and stay sober. Let us do a little step 12-ing for ya!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Oh man, I was a pack mule when we went to the fair. My husband even took a pic of me loaded down with a huge backpack with stuff tied and clipped to it because we couldn't fit everything inside.

Pasta tonight here too. My husband made too much bacon this morning (yes guys, it's possible), so I found a recipe for BLT pasta - penne, bacon, cherry tomatoes, arugula, Parmesan. Looking forward to trying it.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Seriously wanting some pasta now guys! But tonight it's grilled steak and veggies.

Well I had a nice run, but any time I go over a few miles I get blisters on certain toes (tmi). The thought of turning 50 in about a year had been bringing me down a bit. How did I get here? Last time I checked I was about 38 or so....incredible. I've decided to embrace it though. I've joined up with this online fitness thing that I like and am doing the before/after pics. I intend to be my personal best on that birthday, but not just physically. I really want to grow as a person and relationally too. That's harder. I can follow a fitness plan, business plan etc. with strict adherence but I always expect personal things to just fall into place. Not the case. So many things to work out this next year. We shall see.

Ok, feet are rested....time to fire up the grill.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Scored a grill on Craig's List! Newly listed, called the seller, he said I won't be home-it's in the driveway. I asked if I should send a paypal-he said, "nah, I trust you, leave the cash under the mat." Beautiful day for a ride, so it's done. I am so happy!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Great find on the grill BD! To me, autumn is prime grilling time.

I hope the jackass that took your grill has burned every meal they tried to cook!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

That's great BD! And I agree, I hope the grill thief tried to cook bacon on it.

Damn that BLT pasta was good. I kept the bacon pan from this morning with some grease and bits in it, threw some onions and garlic in there, then halved cherry tomatoes and chopped bacon, cooked the tomatoes down a bit, then added some pasta water and a plop of cream cheese. Let that cook into a sauce, then toss with baby arugula, pasta, and a little Parmesan. Yes indeed.

Mark - maybe you need some different shoes. I hate to point out your advancing age, but since you brought it up first, perhaps your feet need some re-evaluation.

My daughter keeps bugging me to take her for a walk to the creek. It's almost 7pm and 93 degrees. Oh man.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

That pasta sounds delicious Briar. Mark, may be worth a trip to a running store. DD ran x-country, and the shoes do matter. If the store is a good one, the employees really know their stuff.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Repeating the same advice on the shoes, Mark. Also, love me some good, seamless socks. Socks ca give me tender spots if they have a seam in the wrong spot.

That bacon pasta sounds delish! How can you go wrong?

I ordered myself the 21 day fix eating and exercise plan. My previous non-diet diet strategy has fallen apart and I need a solid, concrete plan. No more waffling. I hope 50 and 51 are kinder to your metabolism than mine Mark! Of course it will be, men don't get the same shift in loss of muscle mass as do women. Part of the plan I got includes several choices for 30 minute workouts that a friend says were plenty challenging and offer levels of adaptations for wimps like me. Should arrive tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Phoebe - I saw some YouTube videos on the 21 day fix recently when I was perusing grocery hauls for new food ideas. I really like the concept. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

I've been careful to keep my diet healthy lately (allowing occasional delights like bacon pasta, obviously), and between that and staying attentive to my Fitbit, I've managed to lose a few more pounds. I've lost a total of 14 since I quit drinking. I'm short, so that's pretty significant for me. The Fitbit really works for me, as does just appreciating how much better I feel physically now that I've been sober for a few months. And I think more time walking outside has been good for me mentally too.

It's Monday. I'm actually ready to get back to work. I wasn't real productive last week, and I'm ready to catch up.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Hey guys....

Had a great day. Beautiful weather here. One of the perks of my job this time of year.

Had a busy day. Was so ravenous by the time I got home. Just finished up a nice meal of wild caught cod baked in parchment paper (the French way of course!). Multi-colored quinoa on the side. I now feel like a million bucks.

Joined the September class, but it's almost overwhelming how many folks are in it. I remember when we started this class how many were here. Most unfortunately drop off pretty quick. I'll wait it out a bit before I start posting my thoughts over there. It's hard to keep track of who's who.

Anyways, enjoy the evening!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Leftover salmon here. Was good, but that cod sounds better! I've never cooked it like that. I'd like to try smoking fish of some sort but I'm gonna wait until it cools off again. I'm glad you're having some nice outside time with your work Arbor. You really paid your dues this past winter with all those long hours clearing snow.

BD, did you fire up that new grill yet?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Dinner report: marinated steak tips, raw veggies and light ranch dip, a bit of Smart Taste pasta I cooked to give the kids a starch.

We had to eat extra early because son and husband had to go to soccer practice. Tried to take a nice walk with daughter and dog, but we got into a "fight." Well, she randomly let the 6 month old puppy off his lead to romp(run like a maniac) with a 5 year old, well trained yellow lab. Our pup does not come when called and knows nothing about cars. Very little exposure. This is a time of night when cars would come by more often. And, we were basically on the road. He took off with th big dog completely out of sight. I was angry and let her know. Apparently she has been letting him run off with other dogs when she is alone. What upsets me is the risk, impulsiveness, and deliberate rule breaking, on top of direct risk to the puppy. It is like letting a 2 year old run wild on the road. So, now she is crying in her room, feeling sorry for herself. We were going to give stinker a bath, but that won't happen now.

I worry zbout the bad decisions because she may soon be driving. She is easily swayed by the desire to please others. Gets caught up in the moment And does not think things through. Scary at times now that stakes are higher as a teen.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Driving is very serious business, as is watching the puppy. I hope she hears you on the error of her ways.

Mark, I did fire up the grill, just a couple of hot dogs and some corn on the cob. Worked perfectly. The last meal on the old one was balsamic marinated grilled vegetables, cut long ways, thin strips and chicken. I did carrots, zucchini, eggplant, onions and celery root. The veggies were superb, especially the carrots.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no expert Phoebe but she sounds like a pretty normal teen - or at least one I recognise in myself lol.

Maybe the responsibilities of driving etc might help her mature a little?

D
Old 09-21-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

One can only hope, Dee.

She is not really taking much initiative on the driving anyway. Can't practice until she takes a test for a permit.

Just part of parenting to worry when they do impulsive things. Higher stakes, higher natural consequences, which are scary.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

BD, I've never grilled eggplant or celery root.....in fact, I'm not familiar with celery root, just the stalk. I learn stuff from y'all. Arbor's all French cookin' up there and I never even saw a celery root I don't think.

Phoebe, I feel for ya with the 16 year old. And the driving thing is daunting. The fact is that there are risks involved. No way around it. You just come to terms with it because you have to I guess. (And worry a little too).

Speaking of worry.......I'd love to hear from Conquest and V. I'm sure they know we're here for them. Each day that passes without seeing their avatars pop up is concerning.