Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 19

Old 09-26-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

It's all good guys. Just finished up with the ribs, corn, and salad. Came out pretty good.

Had two cups of pumpkin spice coffee too.

Just wanted to post because I did think about drinking while waiting for the ribs to cook. Saturday's in the fall were always filled with drinks. Not last year at this time though. I was sober. Anyways, I caught my mind reminiscing and it was making me feel like it's silly to give up drinking.

But I'm all good now. Thanks for being there!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
After you have had something to eat, maybe do something to occupy your mind (crossword puzzle or something in which you can become absorbed) - not easy with two children, I know.
Yes the two kids. I let them kinda get to me a bit today. It's hard having a three month old baby. Constantly wants to be held. I know it's not forever. WE keep telling ourselves this.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a parent but I reckon you might miss that constantly wanting to be held phase one day Arbor - glad you got through

good to see you Popeye

D
Old 09-26-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Hi gang and welcome back popeye!

I hear you on the autumn weekend triggers Arbor. Way to go posting proactively! And man oh man does your dinner sound good. I had to dig out some sort of leftover casserole I found. I've never done baby back ribs (my favorite) that way....may give that a try tomorrow. Something else I want to try is roasting corn on the cob on the grill. Wow, I can tell that casserole did not hit the spot. Can I have your leftovers please .

Wishing everyone a restful evening.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Thanks Mark. Like I said, thought of you.

Hey if your gonna do corn on the grill leave the husks on. Soak them in the sink for like an hour then grill em. They basically steam up real nice in the water soaked husks.

Hittin the sack. Night...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Hey thanks Arbor. Nice to be thought of by the way.

Shower is calling my name, quickly followed by lights out here too.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Fall means boots! Time to put the sandals away and pull out the boots. I love boots.

Arbor, your dinner sounds great. I made london broil and parmesan roasted potatoes, they were outstanding. On today's agenda is a big pot of bolognese sauce for tonight. This is how I make it Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking
Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrighterDayz View Post
Fall means boots! Time to put the sandals away and pull out the boots. I love boots.

Arbor, your dinner sounds great. I made london broil and parmesan roasted potatoes, they were outstanding. On today's agenda is a big pot of bolognese sauce for tonight. This is how I make it Marcella Hazan's Bolognese Sauce Recipe - NYT Cooking
Both sound delicious, BD.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Thanks Mark. Like I said, thought of you.

Hey if your gonna do corn on the grill leave the husks on. Soak them in the sink for like an hour then grill em. They basically steam up real nice in the water soaked husks.

Hittin the sack. Night...
We cook corn like this quite often' very tasty.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Good morning gang......Parmesan roasted potatoes.....gotta check that out.

Yesterday morning started off great......until I grabbed my phone as I headed out to the gym. My son is out of town with friends for a college football game and I had received a text from him just after midnight that started this way.....'Dad, I've got to be honest, I'm a little drunk.......'. He went on to address an ongoing issue in his life that I'm trying to come to terms with and thanking me for support even though we're not on the same page. Anyway, I spent yesterday in a guilt ridden funk mentally calling myself things I won't share. I'm making a huge effort to shake it off today hence this post.

Most 20 year olds drink right? I sure as hell did, but I mean it is normal for young adults to drink. I had a talk with him this summer about my decision to quit drinking. I didn't go into much detail beyond saying that it had become unhealthy for me and that given our strong family history of alcoholism I thought it best to completely abstain. He's not back yet, but as I've processed this whole thing I've decided not to blow up about it. My responding text was to tell him I love him and to not get on the roads. I think I'll wait for an appropriate time to just reinforce what I said this summer about our family tendency and the associated early warning signs. Hold on loosely? Am I dropping the ball here? Outside perspective would help.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Mark - I think you handled that situation in the best way possible. Now he knows he can reach out to you when he's in a bad spot like that, and he can trust you to receive him with respect and reasonable concern.

You can't control everything he's going to do, even though we all know your life experience has taught you exactly what he should not do. I worry about the same thing with my little girl, and believe me, I wish I could just tell her "hey, don't ever drink, you might be an alcoholic like me and half the other people in my family," and she'd say "ok mom" and never so much as use mouthwash from that day forward. But I know she's going to drink no matter what I say. Not to spite me, but because young people test the culture they live in to see where they fit. Alcohol is a huge part of our culture. As much as I don't want her to drink EVER, I also don't want her to approach a large part of society automatically feeling like an outsider. I will definitely have the conversation with her when she's old enough, and I do intend to tell her the truth about my alcoholism, rehab, recovery, and everything, I want her to know. But she's going to do what she's going to do, and I accept that because I also want her to be brave and open minded. All I can do is educate her and make sure she knows I don't want her to put herself in danger, but I won't turn her away if she needs help. From there I suppose the conversation will be whatever it needs to be.

That's how I view it now. That may be harder to stick to when she's packing for college!

It sounds like you're doing an excellent job, and I am so impressed that he reached out to you at a vulnerable moment like that. He loves and trusts you.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Briar. I think you have a point in being more open with your personal story. That is something I'm going to consider. Arbor set a good example of that as well a couple of weekends ago with his family. Great food for thought. I'm needing to get out of the house a bit, my wife got a new ride yesterday and I may take it for a spin. Thanks again!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Mark, I think you are doing things right if he feels he can reach out to you like that. As has already been said, you cannot control what he will do, but only offer advice. Best to keep the lines of communication open, so you know what is happening and can support and offer advice.

I hope my daughter will keep being open with me. So far she is, but she really has nothing to hide. Her crowd is not yet drinking. Just turned 16.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Oh hey, seven months today. I've officially beaten my personal best, and I feel really good and confident.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Your awesome Briar. A real inspiration. Your unstoppable now! Possibilities endless!

Hey Mark. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your boy. My first drink ever was 20 years of age. Id say that's pretty normal for him to be experimenting. If you two keep the lines of honest communication open that's really the best you could ever hope for.

I really hope my boys are a lot smarter than I was. I'm an all or nothing do it up right kinda guy. So when it came to getting messed up I was a pro right out of the gate.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Oh hey, seven months today. I've officially beaten my personal best, and I feel really good and confident.
That's great Briar! And I agree with Arbor, it's been very inspirational to share part of the journey. Quite the lady you are.

Thanks to you guys for the support. Reading the replies, a nice run and the possibility of rain tomorrow has lifted my mood.

Inspired by Arbor and BD I have ribs slow cooking in the cast iron Dutch oven and am about to google Parmesan roasted potatoes. The corn didn't look great so it'll be slaw as the other side dish. My little one is very proud to have made and decorated the dessert.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

This is the one I did Mark Parmesan-Roasted Potatoes Recipe | Epicurious.com, I didn't use as much olive oil, just drizzled enough to coat the potatoes.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Sounds good Mark. When should I be over?

Used the leftover rib meat to make a killer chili in the cast iron Dutch oven. Started off with bacon using the fat to sauté the veggies (Briar style). Came out real good.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Good morning gang......Parmesan roasted potatoes.....gotta check that out.

Yesterday morning started off great......until I grabbed my phone as I headed out to the gym. My son is out of town with friends for a college football game and I had received a text from him just after midnight that started this way.....'Dad, I've got to be honest, I'm a little drunk.......'. He went on to address an ongoing issue in his life that I'm trying to come to terms with and thanking me for support even though we're not on the same page. Anyway, I spent yesterday in a guilt ridden funk mentally calling myself things I won't share. I'm making a huge effort to shake it off today hence this post.

Most 20 year olds drink right? I sure as hell did, but I mean it is normal for young adults to drink. I had a talk with him this summer about my decision to quit drinking. I didn't go into much detail beyond saying that it had become unhealthy for me and that given our strong family history of alcoholism I thought it best to completely abstain. He's not back yet, but as I've processed this whole thing I've decided not to blow up about it. My responding text was to tell him I love him and to not get on the roads. I think I'll wait for an appropriate time to just reinforce what I said this summer about our family tendency and the associated early warning signs. Hold on loosely? Am I dropping the ball here? Outside perspective would help.
I think that your response to your son's text was a loving and understanding one, Mark. As a bonus, you now have time to formulate a fully considered response/discussion.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I miss Venus. Get well soon.