Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread June

D
Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by charliesworld View Post
I have been on quite a spiritual journey since starting my recovery. I think going through the experiences we have forces you to look at life, why are we here? why am I suffering? why the ?/&! did I end up in a self inflicted mess like this?
I can't say it any better than this ^^^

Welcome rah555, SoberRunner, and TheLadyb!

SoberDay 27 beginning. It's nice to look forward to going to work rather than spending so much energy trying to recover/hide from the previous night's wine. I continually ask myself WHY!? Oh, I'm a recovering alcoholic....

SoberRunner, have you too noticed the ignoramuses who run and swill down beer and are totally and completely convinced its the healthiest thing in the world? I used to be friends with a beer distributor/advertiser. She scoured the interwebs looking for the tiniest study or even survey supporting beer as healthy. Of course she was hot, so when you have a hottie with "scientific" proof that beer is good for you then, particularly if you are a guy, you are an easy mark, a fool that will not only believe you but evangelize FOR YOU.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I'm still here! Just busy busy. Welcome all the newcomers and the old timers too lol
Old 07-30-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good to see you Sansas! And everyone!
Old 07-30-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Nice to hear from you Sansa!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Start of day 5 here. Been trying to get control of this for some time now. I think I've hit rock bottom. I've been trying to moderate but now realize that that is not option for me. I need to accept this and need to build an alcohol free life. This is a complex journey...trying to be kind to myself but I am embarrassed and frustrated. I want to succeed...no more regrets, no more hangovers, no more black outs.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning class,

Lots of good posts this morning. Welcome to all the newcomers! Starting Day 5 and this is when my AV usually starts it's blabbering. Going to wear earplugs today

I am sitting here enjoying my coffee and watching my 5 year old put princess jewelry and tiaras on my 7 month old. So cute to watch and am feeling grateful that I didn't drink last night. It's the little things like this that I want to be able to enjoy. If I were tired or hungover I probably would have missed it. I just have to keep reminding myself that if I continue to drink throughout their young years I will be full of regret later on.

Stay strong today everyone and post here if you are struggling (something I should have done last time).
Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
Good morning all! Start of day 5 here. Been trying to get control of this for some time now. I think I've hit rock bottom. I've been trying to moderate but now realize that that is not option for me. I need to accept this and need to build an alcohol free life. This is a complex journey...trying to be kind to myself but I am embarrassed and frustrated. I want to succeed...no more regrets, no more hangovers, no more black outs.
Me too, rah. I was sober for almost a year and have spent the last 5 months trying to moderate. Just not worth it. We can't let that AV fool us anymore. I know life is much more enjoyable when I take alcohol off the table. You're right - this is a complex journey, but we can do it.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Good Morning Class! Only a couple days left in July and we start a new month...for me it will be marking one month, day 28 today.

I did read all the posts from last night and this morning (here in USA), so many good things to celebrate.

Not much planned today, in the midst of a heat wave so maybe some pool action or staying inside. Errands to run for my wife (and me), since she is working and I am not, it's the least I can do.

Still feeling super strong and focused on the "I will never drink again" credo, and I truly know and believe that I can conquer The Beast.

My recognition of the AV/Beast will be necessary as I bring back the activities I enjoy into my life, activities that previously ALWAYS involved alcohol to excess. Once I started on my lifelong abstinence on July 3rd 2015 and was planning on entering an inpatient substance abuse program (which was denied by my insurance company) on July 8th 2015, I decided to take a sabbatical for a month from social media, my two nights of league bowling and anything that would expose me directly to places I'd previously abused.

Since entering IOP therapy on July 13th 2015 I've started testing myself and passing by going to various places and events that would always involve alcohol, and have remained solid in my abstinence.

As I approach my first month, I can't help thinking how much the SR community has helped me to this point, and plan on staying connected here as my sober life continues.

Anyway, today is upon us and you control your own destiny, please steer it in the right direction!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I had a busy day yesterday, so many posts to catch up on, I love it!
Welcome rah and LadyB

5 days is awesome, Ladybug! Post later if you need to during our "witching hour".

So yesterday I was very productive again, taking care of lots of odds and ends before I go back to work. I also drove my kids 2 hours to spend some time with family, then turned around and drove back. Lots of driving, and thinking. I realized that yesterday was 6 months since my dad passed away, so I was pretty emotional, which of couse let to my AV screaming at me to stop and buy a bottle of wine on the way home. Thankfully, after much debate, I didn't, but I did come home and eat junk food. Like many of you, my main priority needs to be not drinking right now, and hunger is a huge trigger for me, so eat if I must! I do seriously want to and and need to lose weight. I have been exercising diligently, but the diet thing just needs to be on the back burner for now.

Anyway, so strangely, I slept for 9 hours and woke up feeling....hungover! What is going on?? My head feels "full", my ears are clogged, I feel foggy and groggy, I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't drink. Sleep and waking up feeling good are my two biggest motivators so when they don't happen, I feel a little off balance.

Anyway, I have another busy day on my list of things to do and I have an appointment with my counselor. She is more of a grief counselor than addiction, I have only met with her once and did not mention my struggle with alcohol- not intentionally. I plan to discuss that today.

oh, so today is day...9..can it be? Funny how the AV was telling me last night that I can have a couple of glasses of wine and still be on day 9 tomorrow..they won't count. What??
Old 07-30-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Congrats Toadie and everyone else. I can't believe it's already day 26. Starting to realize change is possible again one day at a time. Self control and recognizing cravings/triggers. I feel more confident in trusting myself. Stick with it and it gets better everyday.

Can someone repeat the play the tape through metaphor? I read somwhere it but I don't think I understood the full meaning.

Anyway have a great day!
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=forabetterlife;5488613]

Anyway, so strangely, I slept for 9 hours and woke up feeling....hungover! What is going on?? My head feels "full", my ears are clogged, I feel foggy and groggy, I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't drink. Sleep and waking up feeling good are my two biggest motivators so when they don't happen, I feel a little off balance.

Forabetterlife - I have been feeling groggy on a morning too but I feel good for the rest of the day. I wonder if it's because we're having such a deep sleep?
Old 07-30-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
oh, so today is day...9..can it be? Funny how the AV was telling me last night that I can have a couple of glasses of wine and still be on day 9 tomorrow..they won't count. What??
My AV has tried telling me the same thing FABL. Little conniving weasel. Way to go on 9 days!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 30 So happy to be here. I realize I need to admit I am an alcoholic and cannot drink moderately. One of the main reasons I have been able to stay sober this time is husband is not drinking with me, he has liver problems. I have other health issues and meds so need to not drink also. It helps so much to have a dry household so I am not attempted as we both were home drinkers/bingers/daily. I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and feeling better and grateful to God. I know I need to check in more often with our wonderful class and on sober recovery ! Hang in there everyone, thanks for all your posts, it does help to read them!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Adding another item to my toolbox! Made an appt w a counselor. I'm nervous about going.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Keep trucking RIO...

Dont give up whiteturtle you can do this!

welcome Rah & Ladyb & JunePottery!

Totally relate Bluebird I had 6 months sobrietry and thought i had it beat too ... within a month I was drinking more wine then ever!

JHeat wave here also Toadie man its hot lol

Day 16 ! Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

...Just called my pharmacy about new RX and they said "No Alcohol" so I am glad because I haven't been drinking for one month 30 days today and I know this will help me to stick with it also !! I have never been told this on any previous meds or by a Dr so I know I need to do this!!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone! Welcome new & good goin to the old timers. Day 24 here & goin strong. I've been staying busy painting the house and giving it a new feel. Color rather then beige is so much nicer no matter the Color lol. I'm a little nervous because the roommate will be gone tomorrow night for the 1st time while I've been sober. House to myself & won't know how to act. Not alote to get into really, but there is the few out there that I could call for meaningless sex. I know that's not a smart thing to do & that I would only be trying to fill an empty spot were alcohol use to live. But it's rare to get the house to myself & I feel like I should take advantage. Any thoughts?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post

Can someone repeat the play the tape through metaphor? I read somwhere it but I don't think I understood the full meaning.
"Playing the tape through" basically means when you get that first thought/urge/craving for a drink, imagine the consequences of that first drink through all the way to the bitter end. You'll also hear it referred to as "thinking the drink through" here.

I always use this post by Serenidad from last month as a good example:

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

1. Craving
2. Lie to family about where I am going so I can go out and drink
3. Buy beer & cigs
4. Chug beer in my car and worry someone will see me or even a cop
5. Go to bar
6. Sit alone like a loser
7. Drink X,Y, Z until I feel sick
8. Spend tons of money we don't have
9. Drive home drunk (ugh!) or spend a ton of $ on a cab
10. Vomit when get home
11. Spend the entire night tossing and turning and hating myself
12. Wake up stinking like alcohol and stale smoke
13. Feel so much shame, guilt, anxiety and depression in the morning
14. Head pounding
15. Soooo hungover
16. Wasted so much money
Wishing everyone a happy and sober Thursday. You are doing great, Julyers!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

It's officially been a week since I've drank any alcohol. I'm feeling better than I have had all summer and I'm so excited I am sleeping at a regular schedule (10:30PM-6:30AM). I can now wake up without slapping an alarm and groaning "noo! don't wake me up, I don't want to wake up". Amazing how depressed you are when are in a bad drinking habit and you think the world is closing in on you to when you don't drink anymore and everything quickly clears up fast.

I've fallen way behind on reading the previous postings the last couple of days but I want everybody to keep up the good work.
I've completely reorganized my room and the space I live in which makes such a big difference in having a new perspective. I think sometimes we are so set in our old ways we sometimes forget that we need a change every once in a while.

I have the day off today so I plan on spending it drinking some fresh coffee and tackling my super unorganized closet space! Then I'm looking forward to Saturday when I can get a new white desk for my bedroom. It's amazing how much cleaner and clear-minded I am only after a week. This is always sometimes the hardest time because it's when I feel "normal" again and think I can just casually drink again. I think I've finally given up on that notion.