Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
well alcohol free as of july 12 pretty late in the game.
my lego house is crawling by. it's a good visual as it represents all days present in mind as much as possible.
Looking forward to seeing your house again soon!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's a childhood buddy I've kept up with over the yrs.
I used to think it was the "cry for help", or just complaining, but apparently he's lived with feeling like that for many yrs, and won't stick to any help.
I'll just keep trying to lend a kind ear and gentle advice, best I can.
I've got my ups and downs, too and big responsibilities. It'll all work out though.
Hope everyone's day is ok.
Hard at work. Skipped out on workouts past few days. Back on it today.
Bust the butt-free the mind !! Lol
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thanks for the welcome.

Work stress is a big factor for me too. Some of the things I do to try to cope:
- 10 deep breaths
- turn off email for an hour

In the evenings, relaxation yoga for half an hour- there are lots of free videos on youtube and if you look for something with 'relaxation' in the title it's pretty laid back.

Mindfulness/meditation. I've been trying this. There's a guy online called Peter Renner that has some free sound clips of meditation, I really like his style.

It all feels kind of lame typing it out, I'm depressed today, but it all helps a little bit I guess, even just going through the motions.

Was up half the night, thinking about work situations that I don't want to be in, stress. I have bad insomnia, it's discouraging.

Anyway I'm off to the dentist. Fun! Trying to hang in.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey all :-)
Day 16 all is good hang in there and Martina & KDB yup its amazing how many people dont drink now, I think we just notice it more because we are looking.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good afternoon, it's a busy day, and I have to leave in a moment, so I apologize for not having time to read everyone's posts today, but I wanted to check in before I left. Today is Day 4, and I will not be drinking today.

I really hope everyone else is doing well with their sobriety. And I'd like to share a quote I sometimes rely on when I'm feeling temptation:

"The price of discipline is always less than the pain of regret."

Robin Sharma

Enjoy a sober day today!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Way to go everyone. I'm moving along myself, glad I'm making it through another day. I'm not gonna lie though, there are times I feel like beating my head against the wall, for no particular reason. Gotta keep on truckin...
Old 07-29-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

9 hours of driving later, I am finally back in England, and back to a stable wi-fi connection! Unfortunately missed tonights SMART meeting but I will be at tomorrows for sure.

Has anyone had any experience with Lifering/ SOS? I joined the UK group today after I read about it in a sobriety book I have been churning through. It seems quite interesting... At the moment I am into my SMART but also dabbling with AA & a spot of buddhist recovery techniques, anything to get me through this! I love the simplicity and scientific nature of SMART, but I also feel i'd like to 'discover' some sort of spirituality in my life.

Its comforting to know at least that there are many more approaches to beating this thing than just being told 'go to AA'.

Anyway - feel much better already now I am home. I was beginning to turn into Mr Hyde locked in a 3ft square room with my family for 7 days.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Good afternoon, it's a busy day, and I have to leave in a moment, so I apologize for not having time to read everyone's posts today, but I wanted to check in before I left. Today is Day 4, and I will not be drinking today.

I really hope everyone else is doing well with their sobriety. And I'd like to share a quote I sometimes rely on when I'm feeling temptation:

"The price of discipline is always less than the pain of regret."

Robin Sharma

Enjoy a sober day today!
Thanks for the quote Jotting that one down in my journal for sure!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1. And I hope my last Day 1.

I drank during the day Monday and posted here about, and then I also drank during the day yesterday. I even bought another bottle on my way home from work.

I drank a lot last night, and ended up feeling sick to my stomach, so I threw out my last glass, which was poures fully to the top. I just knew I couldn't drink anymore or I would get sick. I laid on the bathroom floor hoping the nauseous feeling would pass, thinking to myself, I never used to feel like this when I drank. I'm not sure if the 25 days of sobriety really changed my chemistry. At any rate, the actual buzz felt great, felt good again, like everything was okay and back to normal. The nauseous feeling, however, was not great.

My boyfriend stayed home from work today, fighting off some sort of cold. I am glad he did... I had no work today, and if he hadn't also been home, I have feeling I would have just taken the day drinking to three days in a row. While I was on the toilet having the 'rrhea, I called to him and asked if he would dump the rest of the wine in the fridge. It was half a magnum left. He said sure, but asked why. I didn't tell him the specifics of the day drinking, but I told him I had been drinking wine the last few days and felt like I want to go back to sobriety. He dumped it for me without any judgment or further questions. I am lucky to have him.

I realized drinking that the buzz at a certain point is great, but the actual drinking of the wine does not even feel good anymore. I don't know if this plays into the fact that people tend to go harder and harder with drugs over time, because it becomes more about the affects than the vehicle. Whatever the explanation, I realized that I was literally just drinking to escape, not for the taste or anything else.

So, I am mostly through Day 1 (it's almost 4pm here). I bought a binder and some dividers...I am going to print out what I have typed of my story, including maps and character info and notes and timelines, as well as put in a brand new notebook in the binder, and really work at getting it written. I may try to get started on all that organization tonight.

I am feeling down, but not about the prospect of no more wine. It doesn't feel like my first attempt at sobriety at the start of this month. I have done the initial sobriety, I haven't had to deal with physical detox (but did have a lot of mental detox, if that's a thing), I know what to expect and that I had been able to say no. I know more what to avoid. All in all, this should be a more optimistic recovery... Yet, I am down at knowing what's to come in battling myself. I see my old posts, and it was so incredibly hard, and it took so much strength and discipline. I am down at having to go through it again, and continue that fight even beyond where I left off.

I don't know if it's self-pity, or fear, or both. I want to do this, though.

Sigh. It has been a very strange July.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I made it through yesterday sober. Now it is Day 2 and the time I would usually start drinking and I can't breathe. I really hate this disease, it has such a strong hold on me. When I'm not drinking I find myself talking me out of sobriety, and when I am drinking I find myself telling me I will never do this again and reaching out for help. This is madness. I'm going to look for the cravings thread and try to get through
Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

HI fellow sobers.
Just saying Hi.
time crawls on.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Eliasson -- post in here once a minute if you have to. That's what this thread is for. Eat something. Drink something (non-alcoholic, of course.) Go for a walk. Take a shower. Take a bath. Wash the dog. Clean out the garage. Go to an AA or other recovery meeting. Call someone. Sit on your hands. Just don't take that first drink. It gets easier, I promise, but you have to find ways to get through that early awful stage. Your addiction wants you to take that drink. It doesn't care about what that drink and the many more that will follow are doing to your body, mind, life, and the life of those around you. Don't feed it.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Hello All! Today is Day 1 for me too.

I hope I don't mess up (again!) and have to have another Day 1. I'm getting sick of having to start over. Ugh.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Whiteturtle and eliasson , sending you both HUGS.
You rock for getting right back on here and posting. Man this is a fight and I'll tell you one thing for sure. I'll be on here rooting for you and I think everyone who's honest will also.
I feel like a dummy and a relief at the same time when I scrunch up and drink a few hrs away, but if I'm alive I'm cheering for us all. The amount of pressure life put on ppl is ridiculous. No wonder we all look for a "dump" button. Lol
My most miserable sober day is better than a day drinking, no matter how "calm" I feel. It's so fake. AV is the devils tool, or darkness or whatever ppl may believe.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you CaseyW. I am sitting on my couch in tears. I have mopped my floors and washed all the bedding in the house. Going to try walking the dog. Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You're welcome. Wear that dog out!

I will stress one thing again--make sure you're not hungry or thirsty. Those are easily solvable triggers that we sometimes don't even notice in ourselves until someone points them out. Wishing you the best--like I said, don't be afraid to post once a minute. Do whatever it takes, but as long as you don't take that first drink, you can't take the second or third or sixth or tenth drink that will almost always follow.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Eliasson, please stay focused and let your positive side knock down your AV side...only you can control your outcome...keep fighting!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 3

Went to my first AA meeting today and got a temporary sponsor..Yeeah me. Feel like drinking right now as work is ending.......But will call my temporary sponsor before I do that.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am actually hungry. I guess it's not a good idea to start a diet AND try to get sober at the same time
Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

The cravings tips and the recovery plan suggestions are all here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

If you're struggling or you're in trouble - post here first - let the group guide you through

we can do this

D