Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hugs to all that are struggling. I agree with the notion of not starting a diet if you don't have to until you get your sober sea legs good and strong. Take off one bite at a time! I am doing well tonight. No real cravings, a pang of concern knowing I might have an international trip this fall, worried I could talk myself into a relapse, but gonna focus on just today for now Good night Class, glad we are doing this together.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Rio, I have been drinking Coke like crazy. As a dental hygienist, I feel a little guilty, but pop is better than wine, I'm sure!

15 minutes away from starting my second Day 2. I didn't have any real cravings today, but at the beginning of the month with my first try, it was Day 6 (I believe) where things started getting much harder mentally. I am not looking forward to that, but it alleviates my anxiety a little to think of how the upcoming time is going to pass no matter what...I don't have to be in a hurry to rack up days, I just need to let the time pass on its own and "simply" not drink alcohol as it does.

I hope I can do that.

I am playing one of my favorite videogames right now (FFVIII...it has a special place in my heart). It makes me feel at home, as playing through it is comfortable and familiar. Also, I would play it back when I was a teenager, long before I ever even pictured the thought of drinking alcohol. Trigger-wise, it is really not a problematic activity at all. I am just playing a drinking my Coke, watching Law & Order: SVU (I discovered every season is on Hulu Plus! So I started back at the first season).

I still would like to get working on organizing all my papers for writing my book, but the new printer has to be installed first...and I suppose I am feeling lazy about it.

I will probably switch from Coke to tea soon, and attempt to sleep. My sleep patterns have been strange (partly from the binging the last two days). I took a several hours long nap around 4pm today, which probably threw me off...and the caffeine can't be helping. Having a set schedule has been my biggest issue the last several years, especially with my weird job hours; if I can force myself to sleep/wake at the same time everyday, that would probably help. A handful of you have mentioned meditation...I have never successfully been able to do it, but maybe I will give it another try.

My first near-month of sobriety, before I relapsed, had been a very weird dichotomy of elation and depression. The last few weeks were very heavily depression-centric. I just want to be at peace and happy when I wake up and go to sleep. I hope that after the first month or two, that will start to become my reality.

Wishing you all the best, no matter where your head or body is at in all this. I am happy we all have each other.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hulu is the BEST . Waiting for the Flash season 2 so I can blame my kids for watching it.
Rio I want to hear about SMART... I looked it up but skipped because there's no meetings close to me. Is there die different way?
Bob free, identifying huge !!! Your post hit me hard and straight on. Good stuff man.
Whiteturtle, had a game or two that were my faves in the 80s. Nowadays lego batman 3 is the one. Brings back my comic nerd days full on.
It's midnight and I just got up to take a sleeping
Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Bye bye post !! Lol
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey JL. The SMART meeting I did was online. They have a meeting schedule on their website. It was helpful, different from AA, and interactive. Everyone there got involved. Check it out...
Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,
Just checking in to say hi.
I flew into Texas today to visit with family and it was a great sober evening. They all know that I don't drink any longer and I found the house to be completely devoid of alcohol. I didn't expect or need for them to go teetotal for my visit but I appreciate the thoughtfulness behind it. I don't know that I can ever remember a meal in this town where the alcohol wasn't flowing.
Great sober evening catching up,
Best to all of you,
Jonathan
Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi all, Day 5 starting for me. I've decided to throw the tent on my bicycle and head off for a nights or two wild camping. No plans apart from ill head West along the South Coast and find a quiet out the way place to camp. Hopefully I'll have a phone signal so I can check in with you all.

Have a great day or night where ever you are.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good trip Jim

D
Old 07-30-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey Jimuk I have just got back from camping along the South coast weather was iffy at times so check out the forecast!

I am one calendar month today folks
Old 07-30-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Have a great trip, Jimuk, and congratulations Martina!!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Morning all, checking in on day 10 and feeling good.

I've just been reading an article and found this

"Damage to the brain caused by alcohol particularly affects the frontal lobes, making a person unable to give up behavior patterns which are harmful. He is unable to make long-range plans and use intellect for decision making. May take up to two years for all functions to return, if they do at all."

It reinforces to me why alcohol is so difficult to give up. It also suggests to me that, if we don't regain our executive decision making capacity for at least two years, we are in the danger zone for a long time. My last extended sober period was for seven months and I thought I had it beat - I was clearly wrong about that! This quote will be useful to bear in mind to ward off future complacency.

The similarities between this type of brain damage and that resulting from the barbaric frontal lobotomies used in mid-20th century are worrying. As alcoholics, our capacity for self-harm is staggering.

I think I am entering the 'regret' stage

Have a clean and sober day
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Wow. That's pretty sobering, and makes quite a lot of sense - scary sense. Thanks, that is good to keep in mind.

Fantastic about your crochet blanket, btw!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Martina

and it is staggering bluebird, but thankfully the brain is rather resilient, and most of us can get back to full brain capacity and functionality with a decent amount of sober time
Old 07-30-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I can't believe how fast this page moves. I'm keeping busy so only popping on once a day but every time I do I have several pages to read

BringingBackB
Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
I love the simplicity and scientific nature of SMART, but I also feel i'd like to 'discover' some sort of spirituality in my life.
I have been on quite a spiritual journey since starting my recovery. I think going through the experiences we have forces you to look at life, why are we here? why am I suffering? why the ?/&! did I end up in a self inflicted mess like this? My belief now (having being brought up catholic) is that we are eternal beings having a human experience and that our life here is nothing (and everything in terms of experience) in the eternalness of our existence. Our goal here is to find happiness - as in real true happiness and not the superficial kind you get from taking drugs/drinking/food/having things etc. We always have a complete connection with our higher selves but we cut ourselves off from that with our thoughts and beliefs. We are here to find the light even when it feels like we are in complete darkness. I am still working on it but I get so much comfort from knowing that.

There's a few mentioned dieting. My addiction (although I have my relapses) has switched from alcohol to food (well sugar). I'm struggling with it atm but I'm about to go on holiday so my plan is to hit it head on when I get back. Treat it like I did alcohol in those early days. It is a poison just the same (although obviously without the same implications). I am off to sunny (well hopefully!) Cornwall for a couple of weeks and there is no way I am not having a cream tea or Cornish pasty while I'm there

I will be taking my laptop but I don't know if I'll get on much - I won't drink I know that.

The early days/weeks/months of sobriety are hard because it feels like there is no end. You feel like you will be suffering forever but you won't. What you do need to do is build a life that doesn't involve it. Be ok going out with friends and not drinking. I always get round that by driving - I am nearly always the designated driver. You will find as time goes on things will come into your life that will give you things to do.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I am restless and depressed tonight. I feel like I'm just exasperated at every moment, like I am one second away from flying completely apart. I just want to sleep so I can wake up tomorrow and be done with this mindset for now. I can't imagine laying down and just sleeping, though.

I am posting here since you all understand what I'm going through. I just feel alone and down.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

whiteturtle - is there nothing you can do? Even if you don't want to - like go for a walk or clean your kitchen? Just to pass the time until you can sleep. Stay strong. xx
Old 07-30-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome the LadyB and rah

WT if nothing else is working the arcade is not a bad timefiller

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Arcade

D
Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Morning all,

Day 15 and feeling more positive now i'm back home. Plans for today are some much needed chilling. Bit of Netflix and reading should do

DR's appointment tomorrow to review my sicknote, and also get my blood results. I'm a bit anxious about the latter but hopefully all will be somewhat okay.

Straight after that I'm off to see my addictions counsellor, and probably a SMART meeting just after.

Rio - did you do a UK SMART online meeting or a US one? Unfortunately there aren't any F2F ones near me either but the online ones I find still very helpful. There is one at 9pm UK time tonight which I will be at for sure, first one in over a week! I'm still very much learning the tools, but have now completed my CBA (cost benefit analysis - not can't be assed!), and I'm starting to learn the DISARM and ABC tools.

Have a great day all. First things first, i'm off to the local shops as I am all out of food.

P.S - Those of you dieting AND quitting booze at the same time.... much respect. One thing at a time for me. Certainly in the short term, eating what the hell Ilike is helping immensely with the alcohol cravings, which lead to far worse consequences for me than eating poorly. Hell, when I'm drinking I don't eat at all.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

You might be pleasantly surprised by the results...and if they were taken some time ago, things could well have improved since then then even. Sounds like it's great being home :-)

Loved what you wrote about spirituality, Charlie, and I'm glad it's going to stop feeling like forever one day. I've also been realising I need to associate fun with more things other than alcohol, which was pretty much what I had been doing. Need to press the reset button, over and over :-)

(((whiteturtle)))) Lots of us have felt alone and/or down at times in our lives, and it's really awful. We understand and are behind you all the way. I agree distraction is good - sometimes music can really alter my mood for the better too, if that helps :-)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good morning -

I am joining today, I have been battling the alcohol consumption for around 10 years but have had enough !

Dont even enjoy it, have just bought a house that needs renovation so would like to be clear headed and have more energy and money to complete it !!!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and well done to those with many AF days under their belts... I'm hoping I can also lose some weight but cannot face both at the same time so AF has to be my current focus !!!

Jx