Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Well after IOP therapy session #9 and a meeting with my counselor today, I've opted out of the program. It really was doing nothing for me and the future subjects they were planning on covering offered me no new tools either.

I believe wholeheartedly that I am better served with my RR knowledge and executing the BP, though I really have already began.

I do plan on staying connected here on SR, as I see enormous benefit from constantly reinforcing what we are trying to do here, and possibly being of help to others.

Stay committed, stay focused, stay sober and remember that you are the one in control, no one else.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

**** it, it's Friday. I'm getting on it.

PIZZA TIME :-)

I'll be having a nice cold mineral water to wash it down. Have a happy and SAFE Friday everybody. Let's kick the weekend's ass together!

Last edited by Dee74; 07-31-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Good afternoon to all. Well, it's the last day of July and Friday. I'll be sober today (day 6) and I won't be drinking this weekend. Have a great weekend everyone, and to start off a sober weekend I'll share another quote I often refer to when I'm feeling weak:

"Such power there is in clear-eyed self-restraint." James Russell Lowell
Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentCinemaFan View Post
good morning all, day 8. To all those that struggled the last couple of days, don't give up, always keep trying. Always going to be day ones, that's a fact but don't give up hope, you will find a way to make sobriety a lifestyle.

I still have a long way to go, I'm at a little over a week and I already feel fantastic and I'm not as depressed as I was during the beginning of summer. I will post more later on but just wanted to wish everyone a great weekend and hope everyone stays healthy and safe! We are all here for you as support.
Happy for you, SCF, glad you already feel fantastic. It's so true that alcohol makes us more depressed for hours and possibly days after that initial high from the last drinking episode. So not worth it!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Free2b, can you suggest a different location? Coffee shop? I myself would not go to a place I used to drink at in early recovery, too many triggers there.

White turtle, sounds like you might need to get rid of all the alcohol in your house? Mine is dry, thank goodness.

Day 9. So happy I'm almost in the double digits! I have a weekend ahead that I know I can handle sober!!!! Good luck to all!
You're doing great, KC, and sound strong! Wishing you a great weekend ahead!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Hi all just checking in...

Whiteturtle I have spent the last 18 months on countless day 1's and this is my third class this year. I feel like I am the queen of day 1's but I keep getting back on and so can you Each time I start again I try to think what went wrong and how can I avoid it happening again. What can I add to my toolbox this time?

I am currently reading Caroline Knapp's Drinking A Love Story. I can totally identify with her and it is amazing how many similarities there are in her upbringing and mine.

About half way through the book there are a number of questions to help the reader identify if they have a problem with alcohol... lol... I know I have but to what extent? Well I answered yes to the first 15 questions which puts me in the bracket of the early stages of alcoholism.....good bye to any lingering doubts then....

Its Friday early evening here the sun is out and I am having to be determined to remain sober...
Martina, I'll have to read "Drinking, a Love Story."
I'm sure I'd answer yes to the first 15 questions and beyond!
Wishing you a fantastic weekend!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Tomorrow there will be a new group of Augusters - we won't be the newbies anymore. Well done to all Julyers for digging in. Even if you've not achieved exactly what you wanted to achieve in July, you've been in the game rather than on the sidelines. I think August must be the equivalent of a promotion to the next level in the league?

I'm glad I'm not a lurker anymore; being part of this group is really helpful and often quite inspirational.

I had two potential triggers today: I got some news from the hospital and I went to work. The news from the hospital was relatively good (it's eye related - I have a problem but it's not degenerative which is the good bit) but good, bad or indifferent news would previously have brought on a drink. Also, driving home from work puts me in the danger zone but I didn't even seriously consider stopping off to make a purchase. Yey me!

Have a super sober weekend everyone
Old 07-31-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cbf123 View Post
F**k it, it's Friday. I'm getting on it. PIZZA TIME :-) I'll be having a nice cold mineral water to wash it down. Have a happy and SAFE Friday everybody. Let's kick the weekend's ass together!
I had pizza and Pepsi for lunch! Yum. Definitely not on my list of foods to eat for my lifestyle change but oh well i guess. I haven't had a beer in 5 days so that's my reward; that's that and I'm sticking to it lol.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I had pizza and Pepsi for lunch! Yum. Definitely not on my list of foods to eat for my lifestyle change but oh well i guess. I haven't had a beer in 5 days so that's my reward; that's that and I'm sticking to it lol.
Definitely worth a reward! Well done :-)
Old 07-31-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Everyone's having pizza and a cool drink- awesome I've been craving Diet Coke all day.

Just wanted to check in. Today was/is a hard day for me. It's Friday for one thing, and it's a long weekend in Ontario. I wake up in the morning and feel like I'm not strong enough to resist, and then I feel like it's no big deal, all this talk inside to make it okay to drink. But I went out and came home without buying anything. Tomorrow feels like another insurmountable day, but just trying to focus on the evening.

I've been on vacation from work for about 10 days. I've never gone through a vacation before without drinking. Yay me.

Thinking alot about the work problems I will face on Tuesday, and how I need to find a way to deal with them without drinking.

Need to get through the rest of the day first. Think I will go buy a Diet Coke
Old 07-31-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I most definitely second the recommendation for Drinking: A Love Story by Carolyn Knapp. My favorite recovery book. Great writer who really understood alcoholism.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Thanks guys that sounds well worth a look ;-)
Old 07-31-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I drank again last night due to wanting to stuff down sadness, and feel somewhat disheartened. becoming sober has been harder than I envisioned.

Was feeling strong yesterday then bam received some sad news so went straight for the quick fix and temporary relief of pain. This is my Achilles heel, I can fight AV when angry, but sad/depressed has been a problem. I do some volunteer work that has its share of depressing situations and can cause me to be very down very quickly, and upset with humanity in general.

I found a SMART meeting this morning, went there, got the workbook and will start working on it. I'm not sure if the meetings are way to go for me, but I will try another meeting and see. I did mention my volunteer work (usually something I keep to myself and close friends only ) and the facilitator said sobriety is hard, needs to come first, so maybe take a sabbatical from what I do volunteering. Considering doing that. I have high hopes for next weeks counselling appt, and ready to do IOP or consider an antidepressant again (failed on several before, made me over top anxious) .

Tired of this cycle and sick that I have 4 day 1s in July, maybe 5? had a 17 day stretch with one beer in there and was feeling better, less anxious, happy even ??? after the suckface physical withdrawal, and then some days of depression hit so it's been downhill since with two binges.

So happy tho how many here are doing great with personal bests, and progress and plans for sober weekend. I will be sober too, this counselor (and others I called), won't accept patients who are currently drinking or using(ummm.. Addiction counsellors, so don't quite get that??)

Humbling experience, feeling weak and admitting it, im a keep "feels" to myself person IRL, so busy faking being "up" and happy at work, the other emotions get stuffed with booze it seems. Anyway, July has still been a good month, the start of becoming sober journey, the discovery of wonderful people here fighting the same fight with care and support is amazing.

Whiteturtle, you in for Day 1 and sober weekend with me?

Bob, BBB, Dee1971' LadyB, Jillian, Bluebird, kale, Martina,Time2rise, toadie, SCF, FreetoB, too shabby.., Great Job U all. And everyone else I missed on last page

Last edited by PennyLane76; 07-31-2015 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Autocorrect blows
Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by callmemilly View Post
Everyone's having pizza and a cool drink- awesome I've been craving Diet Coke all day.

Just wanted to check in. Today was/is a hard day for me. It's Friday for one thing, and it's a long weekend in Ontario. I wake up in the morning and feel like I'm not strong enough to resist, and then I feel like it's no big deal, all this talk inside to make it okay to drink. But I went out and came home without buying anything. Tomorrow feels like another insurmountable day, but just trying to focus on the evening.

I've been on vacation from work for about 10 days. I've never gone through a vacation before without drinking. Yay me

Thinking alot about the work problems I will face on Tuesday, and how I need to find a way to deal with them without drinking.

Need to get through the rest of the day first. Think I will go buy a Diet Coke

Vacationers staying sober, that's great!! James, you, Bob! Wonderful accomplishment.!
Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

So I've been fine all week and now I am having my usual Friday night cravings. It's 5pm and all of a sudden I am like a different person and really craving a drink. I just had a sandwich and a bunch of cookies and am drinking pink lemonade, but it's not helping. Really don't want to be back on Day 1 for the umpteenth time. Help
Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Ladybug -- you can do this. It's just a thought and has no real power. Post in here once a minute if you have to. Keep drinking that lemonade. Eat some ice cream if you need to. Go play with your babies. Take a long walk. Take a shower. Go to an AA or other recovery meeting. Clean the garage or a closet or the kitchen cabinets. Watch some silly tv or a movie. Play that drink through to the worst possible consequences. Sit on your hands. Call a family member you haven't talked to in a while. Watch silly cat videos on YouTube. Read old posts here. Just don't take that first drink no matter what and the thought will go away. It always does if we don't feed that addiction.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Ladybug I am 5 hours ahead of you and I was where you were craving a drink 5 hours ago. This is what I did...posted here (like you), ran a bath and got in as it was running, when I got out got into pj's and scoffed 2 ice creams, 2 mini cakes and peanuts. I turned on the tv and watched mindless tv that I wasn't remotely interested in but it took the edge off the craving.

Then more snacks until the craving went...I didn't actually eat dinner because I stuffed myself with so many snacks

The craving passed and I was so glad that I just did nothing but pampered and ate...just do anything else but DO NOT pick up..you will get through it honest!!
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Just having a tough time and checking in. If I make it this will be my first sober weekend in a very long time. I went to another meeting today. But I randomly burst into tears all the time and I feel like I'm having a panic attack. This is so hard. Just needed to post. Thank you all for being here.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Big move forward

Eagerly awaiting a meet up with my new landlord, he's handing over the keys in exchange for a check and I will begin moving into my first place I've ever had all to myself.
I've lived in tents, tiny uninslated shacks that had only a bed and a lightbulb, and a 20 foot camper trailer, all of these on other people's property with shared facilities. At almost 33, this is my first honest to God one bedroom single occupant dwelling with a kitchen, bathroom and no roommates!!!
I pre-released it months ago and told myself all summer "you know you won't be able to afford this rent if you don't stop drinking and start saving"
Well go figure, I didn't quit drinking till 12 days before move in, and my first rent check will leave me with about $90 to my name. Ha!
I don't care, I know I'll be living hand to mouth for a few months while I catch up, but now the heat is on and I simply cannot afford to relapse.
I'm super excited and relieved to be sober moving into my new tiny apartment. May alcohol never pass the threshold so long as I live here.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back JamesAdams

I can definitely recommend Drinking: A Love Story - great book.

Ladybug - remember this link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

read it use it and most of all remember that cravings do pass

I'm glad you're being proactive Sadie

WhiteTurtle - the greatest part of this is coming back for another go so good on you

maybe you need a little bit more in the way of a recovery plan though? do you have any ideas on that?

finally, just a reminder - sometime today, I will move you guys and this thread to the Daily Support forum - nothing else changes tho - please keep posting and sharing here

D