Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 5

Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

I have been back at work for four days after a vacation. The stress has built day by day today was probably the worst. Every day going home I felt like drinking. I didn't.
Tomorrow as Friday will be the worst.

Plus just to make it extra hard, a new liquor store is opening tomorrow like a block away. It's almost literally across the street.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Milly, think of the new store as a poison dispensary!

Stay strong tomorrow, you CAN do this!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cbf123 View Post
I forgot to say - day 10 for me. Double figures for the first time in a while! Woohoo!
Hooorrray for double digits, Cbf!!! Way to go!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Angd1978 I hope you get some sleep.
Keep on rantning. I know I am going to. Makes me feel better and learning new perspectives. How do people live and thrive everyday sober? Still learning myself.

Ranting is Better then bottling it up inside literally and figuratively.

Have a great thrusday!
I guess we will have to work on figuring out how to live and thrive sober together. Hope everyone had a better day today.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

18 days sober, probably spent 2 of those at least on SR if I tallied all the hours. This community has provided so much comfort and reassurance. I hope that over time I will apply what I've been learning and succeed with everyone's help.
I'll say one tough thing about getting sober for me is the immediacy with which I feel I need to fix every thing in my life that I've been drowning out. Now that I'm not drunk or preoccupied with getting drunk all the time I'm facing all the things I'm dissatisfied with about my life. I'm trying to stay present and do my best at what I'm engaged in now, but it's hard to quiet the "what next's."
Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by toadie54 View Post
Milly, think of the new store as a poison dispensary!

Stay strong tomorrow, you CAN do this!
I second that! I'm working on re-framing my thinking. So much energy is spent "using our willpower" to deal with the hole that alcohol left....like it was a GOOD thing. It wasn't!

It's like missing a tumor that was cut out! So, the way I'm thinking, its not taking as much willpower to miss that. It's way too easy to buy into the over-Romanticism and glamorization that was nothing more than really good sales pitches by the alcohol industry. Plain old brainwashing to sell something that makes us sick. Actually, make everyone sick. There is also this inherent assumption that there is something good about it. there's not, or at least no more than tobacco. Science is telling us NO AMOUNT of alcohol is safe or good or healthy. We just figured it out sooner.....

Good sober night folks!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Agreed it doesn't look like it helps any part of the body.

23 Effects of Alcohol on the Body
Old 08-06-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I screwed up. I'm in Australia at the moment and have little time, so will get back into posting properly when I'm back in New Zealand. Just wanted to say hi and keep in touch. I'm not going to leave the July class even though I regressed because I've become fond of you all. Good luck, everyone!
xxx

P.S. Thanks Toki for your support. I really appreciate it :-)
Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
Hi guys, I screwed up. I'm in Australia at the moment and have little time, so will get back into posting properly when I'm back in New Zealand. Just wanted to say hi and keep in touch. I'm not going to leave the July class even though I regressed because I've become fond of you all. Good luck, everyone!
xxx

Hey Tooshabby I've screwed up countless times. Stay with us though and get back on our wagon

Work out what went wrong with your plan and plug that hole for next time....

We're here for you friend...
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Morning all,

Day 23 here.

Just off to see my addiction counsellor. My appointment seems to have co-incided with the 'free breakfast' day they have at the center, so I think I will pop my head in and get myself a bacon sandwich! I am not in as much pain from my bike ride yesterday as i thought i would be actually. Still walking like John Wayne a bit though.

Milly - well done getting through last night. You can do it again tonight, keep telling yourself that.Remember you have to physically choose to raise the glass and drink. Stock up on some alternatives, nice fizzy sodas maybe?

I was reading Allen Carr yesterday and he claimed that NOBODY actually likes the taste of alcohol, which got me thinking. Beer was my drink of choice mostly, and although I kidded myself that I liked the taste, i'm starting to believe I can call BS on that. What I really liked was the feeling that would come after the taste. I mean, its not exactly delicious and refreshing like a coca cola or some fresh orange juice is it. Food for thought anyway...

Tooshabby - Welcome back. You know what to do

BoB - interesting point you raised there. Its weird isn't it, how, because it is now widely accepted that smoking is horribly damaging to health, people who smoke have now become almost a pariah in society. I wonder if the same will ever happen to alcohol... I doubt it, as it is now so socially ingrained in our entire culture. I'd say also (although unstubstantiated as I have no proper research), that alcohol is a far greater problem in terms of the amount of people suffering ill effects from it, than smoking is nowadays.

I'm going to be late because of my rambling so better shoot off!
Take care all, B
Old 08-07-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
xxx

Good luck getting back TS, we're all with you!

It's a very sunny Friday here - not good for the old triggers, although I'm fairly calm about it at the moment. I'm on charge, not the triggers. I'm having a great couple of weeks and I don't want that to stop today or ever. As always, I'll be checking in here to keep myself going. Good luck all!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Just hop back on the horse Tooshabby, glad you are sticking with us. Almost all of us have had a large number of re-boots. I had 10 in June and probably about 50 if you count all of 2014.

Start of sober day 35. I didn't sleep well for kind-of a neat reason: I was excited about going out to our new work-site to meet the network people to set up the first stages of our network.

To me this is a good thing. Thanks to my great friend alcohol I've essentially been cold and dead inside, feeling nothing about anything for a long time.

Remember before we all started drinking or drugging and we'd get so excited before some big event like Christmas or our birthday? I feel like I'm starting to recapture some of that feeling again, like being transported back in time.

Did we need to get drunk to have fun at our 10th birthday party? Didn't we know how to have fun a thousand different ways back then? So just when did someone click a switch and say the only way to have fun as an adult is to drink? It's a damn lie but just look at the adverts!

Ok, off my soapbox again.....

Have a great sober day!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Congrats Angd!

I third that Bobbfree33 & Toadie54!

BringingB I agree the taste is horrible ...but the SMELL on the breath oh my! I never realize how bad it is!

Day 25 for me wooo hooo!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BobBFree33 View Post
Remember before we all started drinking or drugging and we'd get so excited before some big event like Christmas or our birthday? I feel like I'm starting to recapture some of that feeling again, like being transported back in time.

Did we need to get drunk to have fun at our 10th birthday party? Didn't we know how to have fun a thousand different ways back then? So just when did someone click a switch and say the only way to have fun as an adult is to drink? It's a damn lie but just look at the adverts!

Ok, off my soapbox again.....

Have a great sober day!
Bob I've been thinking a lot about this too, how much fun I had and how much wonder I felt being in nature. It's a great day when I recapture that feeling for even a few minutes.

Tooshabby I hope you'll stay around, I'd be really sorry if we lost you. Keep trying!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thanks. I’m feeling a bit more able to deal with it today though I feel like crap physically- waking up with stress headaches. But this does help me to resist drinking bc I feel so bad already.

I work in risk management and we had an incident this week. As someone with anxiety issues, not sure constantly working in an environment of assessing and managing risks was the best choice! I was able to relax and sleep last night though which is always a miracle for me

Bob and Bringingback b raise good points. It’s funny I see people on the weekend with these big bags of liquor it seems odd how we all accept this. I guess it wouldn’t be a big deal if people drank in moderation but here there is always a culture of excess that is embraced and promoted.

Upward, ang cbf and others, congrats on another day.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Hi Julyers,

So good that so many of us are learning to deal with various stressful situations. Good job everybody, on whatever sober day you are!

Tooshabby- happy you're back.

As I said, I have relapsed twice since I decided to stop drinking. (Actually I think during the first attempt, I still had a lamebrain idea that I could drink moderately, Needless to say, that didn't work). Anyway, through my experience since joining SR, the *only* thing I feel able to give advice about is to get right back on the boards and don't give up. I mad a big mistake when I disappeared for awhile....

Need to go to a periodontal exam in a few minutes (shudder). I've been having major work and am on a treatment plan that will last a year. I don't think this particular appt. with be traumatic, but must gear up mentally. I will no doubt be back on here later.

In the meantime, have a great day/night Julyers!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Hi Julyers,

So good that so many of us are learning to deal with various stressful situations. Good job everybody, on whatever sober day you are!

Tooshabby- happy you're back.

As I said, I have relapsed twice since I decided to stop drinking. (Actually I think during the first attempt, I still had a lamebrain idea that I could drink moderately, Needless to say, that didn't work). Anyway, through my experience since joining SR, the *only* thing I feel able to give advice about is to get right back on the boards and don't give up. I mad a big mistake when I disappeared for awhile....

Need to go to a periodontal exam in a few minutes (shudder). I've been having major work and am on a treatment plan that will last a year. I don't think this particular appt. with be traumatic, but must gear up mentally. I will no doubt be back on here later.

In the meantime, have a great day/night Julyers!
Good luck today, Toki! :-)
Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Happy Weekend to everyone all around our SR world!

Tooshabby
, sorry to hear that you "screwed up", but who hasn't??? Hope to still see you here with July 2015 and best wishes going forward.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back too shabby - thats half the battle.

I never thought I could win out over those auto pilot moments...but when I looked at it, there were always many possible moments when I could have made a different decision.

Once the crazy train has started it's not easy to stop it - but it really is possible

perhaps the only thing more important than support is our willingness to use it when we need it

D
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Heh heh heh.....the crazy train....yup :-D

Thank you Dee and everyone for your support. It's amazing!