Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 4

Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

So last night I hit the gym for an hour. I know the elliptical isn't perfect and needs to be complemented with better diet and running out doors/lifting weights. When I got home, I had some yogurt, fresh fruit and chicken breast for dinner......I haven't cooked a chicken breast in probably 5 years. Amazing how much cheaper that dinner is than ordering take out.

Anyway, around 9:30/10pm, that same demon hit and had had huge food cravings. Fortunately I don't have any unhealthy food at home, but I downed like 4 fruit ice pops and 3 nutrition bars.

Made it back to the gym this AM and getting ready to head out to my presentation.

Since this is a sobriety board and not a weight loss board, I'll also point out that I'm not having any alcohol cravings. As it is February, I have thought a lot about my behavior February and how it was probably the heaviest period of drinking I ever had, capped off by the hospital visit on the 18th. While not a perfect world, worrying about weight is better than worrying about what I did last night and wondering how to deal with a hangover and how to hide my excessive drinking from friends/family/coworkers.

Have a nice day
Old 02-04-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Glad you're not having cravings, at least not the alcoholic ones. I'm struggling with the food as well, but am trying, like you are. Very few alcohol cravings here too - it sort of helps that it's winter and I tend to be reclusive when it's cold and crappy out.

Absolutely ****** two days of work, and I don't feel like dwelling on the constant fighting. I simply cannot wait for tomorrow to be over. My nerves are frayed and I lost the battle against losing my temper multiple times the last couple of days. Now I'm watching Madoff and boy, what a dirtbag. Who does this stuff.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you each have a good relaxing weekend

D
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

It's snowing to beat the band here, but is so pretty out. Earlier today 9 wild turkeys visited along with 3 deer, but since then everything wild seems to have hunkered down somewhere - there aren't even any squirrels out foraging. A friend wanted to make plans for tonight but I think she underestimated the snow. At any rate, I'm not leaving - it's warm and dry here. The same cannot be said about the out of doors. So weird, yesterday sweat was literally dripping off of my face due to the warmth coupled with being overdressed, and today it's back to winter.

Definitely this is a better day, however there are a couple of nuisance things I need to do before wrapping up for a week.

Last night I wanted to get some cookies on the way home but didn't. I'm so glad, as I'm just too fat right now. Mets as you say, this is an alcohol board not a weight board, but it occurs to me that I need to treat them with the same diligence and resolute attention. Just because a box of girl scout cookies won't make me black out or make an ass of myself, doesn't mean I shouldn't devote the same attention to it.

That's all I have for now. Have a good weekend!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it was a less stressful end to the work week for you ready. We got just a little bit of snow here in NYC and it stopped by noon. Sorta wish we had another blanket of snow like we got during the big storm.

Anyway, I'm having another quiet weekend. I guess it's good there's a lull in parties and whatnot that would be drinking temptations for me and given how bad last February was, being a bit bored isn't a bad alternative.

I just finished 13.1 miles (half marathon) on the elliptical. I've done actual half marathons and the elliptical makes it 10 times easier, but I'm still happy that I'm pushing myself on my workouts, as I know that's going to help me get some of this weight back off. I also scrounged up my foreman grill and have been making chicken breast. I don't know how to cook at all, so being single and in NYC, that's why I've been so hooked on take out/delivery.

I'll be with some friends tomorrow for the super bowl. There will be loads of booze and food, which isn't ideal, but I know I need to be sharp for work Monday, so I'll use that as a motivating factor for both steering clear of both.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Eating healthy is a commitment Mets. Good for you. Chicken is my favorite food - try making it different ways. Stick a bunch of them into zip loc bags with different marinades, then you can pull them out when you're ready to bake. You can also use a little spray oil and saute them - that's one of my favorites - cut them into small pieces sort of like a stir fry. You can cheat on the sides, my freezer has a ton of veggie boxes ready to be micro waved.

My sleeping patterns are all off so I completely overslept today. Which means tonight I'll be up in the wee hours. I guess I know it now so it won't be frustrating.

I am getting sucked into this super bowl coverage in spite of myself. They put on a good show, does CBS. I'm rooting for Carolina but don't really care.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Another snowstorm. This is starting to look and feel a lot like last year. I am working from home today rather than attempt the commute in a blizzard, so even though it's a week earlier than when the wheels came off last year, it feels the same. Things may not be perfect, but they are quite a bit better this year than last.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

I'm a little down today, not sure why. I guess if I had to pin it down it would be that I feel a bit like a hamster on a wheel - nothing really changes. I'm semi-listening to a conference call where I swear we have been talking about the same things for months if not years, with no resolution. I have to document team goals and review it with the other managers today. It will simply be a lot of blah blah blah. Despite the fact that I don't really think that counting days is all that useful for being sober (works for some not for others), I'm fixating in spite of myself on the upcoming year anniversary - that too is hamster-ish - I've been trying and failing to get sober for years, same with the diet, same with relationships, same with work.

I don't feel like drinking over it, but am hoping that if I acknowledge it, I can purge it from my mind.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Feeling better today. I never did shake that feeling yesterday so I will just chalk it up to the blahs. Nothing has changed - all of that hamster stuff is still the same - so lesson learned that everything passes if you give it enough time.

Such a philosopher! Back to work...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry I missed your post ready but I'm glad you feel better today

D
Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. I find it remarkable how you manage to stay on top of things. I could use your time management skills!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Ready, great job on approaching one-year. I'm approaching the one-year anniversary of my last awful drinking episode, but unfortunately not a completely sober year. By far the best year drinking-wise since I first drank at age 16 though.

Im currently battling a brutal cold. I'm suspecting it might be bronchitis and that I should see a doctor. If the cough isn't gone by Friday, that's what I'll do. I hate seeing the doctor though. I haven't been in about 3 years now. I'm always nervous about what they'll say about my weight or cholesterol levels or blood pressure. I know it's stupid not to go, but yeah, I put that off.

Sorry to hear you had a rough start to the week Ready, but glad you're feeling a bit better mentally now. Despite not feeling well physically. I have dragged myself to work and class this week and found out I got another raise (which given I got a big one last summer wasn't expected) and a large bonus. The fall out with the two clients is ongoing, but my management has been pretty supportive and so yeah, I guess I'll keep on dealing with that. Worst case is I don't go a bonus next year, but at least my salary is way up since last summer, so i can't complain that much.

Anyway. I'm going to take some of that alcohol-free NyQuil and try to get some rest.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Mets I hope you're feeling better! That stinks. I've been relatively healthy this winter so far. Can you go to a CVS minute clinic or something? I can't stand the doctor either. Congrats on the raise. It sounds like not drinking has been good for you.

Today was a mess - I overslept so had to splash my face and run out without a shower, still almost missed the train and the rest of the day I just felt out of sorts. I was completely scatter brained, but my client meeting went fine and by the end of the day I had actually gotten a number of nagging things done so I was fairly pleased by the time I left. And it wasn't even that late getting home!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Oversleeping is the worst. In my drinking days it happened quite a bit, but my ability to shut off my alarm without waking up is amazing. I have a battery powered alarm on the dresser on the other side of my bedroom that I'll set as a final warning, that does seem to help.

Anyway, I was asleep by 9PM on Wednesday and slept till about 8AM. Felt a lot better yesterday. I had class last night, but went to bed right when I got home and just got up, feeling even a little bit better. So yeah, I think I'm going to skip the doctor unless symptoms reverse.

Crazy cold spell coming our way. For me, not too upset about it, don't have much on my calendar other than some friends coming over to watch basketball at my apartment. I like cold weather, but no one else does, so seems like nothing temping is going on socially.

Happy Friday Ready! Hopefully you can catch up on sleep this weekend and relax.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Well I overslept again this morning, so the week of discombobulation (is that even a word?) continues. What is wrong with me! On the other hand, this is how I was in my younger days - it was only in the last 5 or so years that I was an early bird. So maybe this is reversion back to the late sleeping me. At any rate, I'm working from home, so was able to leap out of bed and log on and start my day in my pajamas.

I'm glad you're feeling better Mets. And cold is one thing, this stuff coming is quite another. I'm originally from the Midwest so I am familiar with the deep freeze, and you can get used to it - but with it only sticking around for a couple of days I will instead opt to stay in if possible.

Another friend's parent died this week so I will have a wake and/or funeral to go to - selfishly I hope for one of the non-frigid days. They continue to drop like flies - my circle of friends and I are at that age I guess. Cancer diagnoses too - heard another friend is about to start chemo soon for melanoma. That makes the trifecta in the last 4 months - breast, uterus, skin. No wonder old people always talk about people dying are being sick - it happens so often!

I have Tuesday off so it's a good long weekend - plans for a massage and lunch with a friend on Tuesday. She's a teacher, so has the week off.

All for now, Mets, I hope you have fun with your houseguests. TGIF!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good weekend guys

D
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I'm up early on this Saturday. Still not feeling 100%, so don't think I'll go to the gym. Since I have people coming over, I've just been cleaning so far. It's amazing how much dust builds up in New York City. I was cleaning the area of my kitchen counter which is by the window I usually leave cracked open and the paper towel was jet black when I scrubbed it. The counter is dark, so it's not noticeable how much dust was on it. A bit terrifying that that's the air I'm breathing.

The cough appears to be gone, which is a relief. Still a big congested, but hopefully that's gone by the end of the long weekend.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Have fun Mets. Best not to think too much about what you're breathing or you'd wear a mask full time especially being in a city.

All good here.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Hi everybody, I'm on board with the February class. Since 12/28/15 I've drank six times, so much better than 4-5x/week though. I'm on day 5 now as Superbowl Sunday got me and then I drank the next day too....mistakes. I've never committed to total sobriety, but the more I read here the more I feel like I should - one day at a time for the rest of my life. My biggest focus now is getting in shape which is challenging at age 50 since I'm about 30 pounds overweight (I'm down 12). I joined a gym and was going a lot, but my knee is swelled up now as I think I pushed myself too hard on the treadmill. Anyway, quality time with my wife and daughter is also a priority and also to thrive at work. Have a great sober weekend!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

^ oops! I'm off to the Feb. 2016 thread....sorry about that