Blogs

Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 4

Old 02-29-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

CF, great to hear from you!

I've been up in Canada the last four days. The people there are so much nicer than in the US. And the temperature is predictably cooler, which I like.

Ready, glad to hear you got through a challenging week. Despite being out of the country, I was dealing with my two angry clients. It's not escalating to anything awful. It continues to be a stressor in my life that I want gone, but that's life.

My trip to Canada was very nice. It was a family trip and there were some predicable issues over politics. I was sober the whole time and acted as a moderator several times, using that Adele Saturday Night Live Thanksgiving sketch as a joke to break up my family's bickering. I'm happy that nobody in my family supports Trump, but the republican side of my family hates Hillary and just screams about her, especially after drinking. As with the whole GOP party, the republican side of my family is panicking over Trump getting the nomination and are desperate for Rubio to get it.

Anyway, enough politics.

The leap day has been fine. I landed early in the morning and was at work my noon. I think this will be a relatively uneventful week. I'm excited about the NCAA Tournament and MLB Opening day. Much more so about Opening Day than I have been since 2008, so I'm looking forward to that.
The Following User Says Thank You to nymets86 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Nice trip Mets- you are lucky to spend such good times with your family. Political bickering is so tiresome isn't it? In my family, there are very few republicans. My husband is a staunch one and he says that he will vote for Hillary if Trump is the Republican nominee - that I will have to see = it's more likely he doesn't vote at all, but at least he's not nuts. The rest of my family is basically taking sides between Bernie and Hillary, split very much on youth vs. age lines. Anyway, the primary is tomorrow, so I'll do my civic duty.

My dad came over yesterday, coincidentally (not) Iowa was playing basketball during his visit. So we watched them lose in the last minute. He'll be back for the tourney. This is what happens when your sports crazed father doesn't have cable.

Today was a good day - nothing overly stressful. I'll take it. Have a good night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadyOrNot123 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (02-29-2016), nymets86 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great week guys

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
nymets86 (02-29-2016), ReadyOrNot123 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

March 1 - might as well make it a month of resolutions since I did so poorly in January/Feb. I need to control my spending and eating - might as well treat them both like addictions. Day 1 - shopping, Day 1 - sugar. First stop - close all my shopping pages on line and delete those sale emails!
The Following User Says Thank You to ReadyOrNot123 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Ready, that sounds great that your dad comes over for the Iowa games....I just saw them lose to Indiana. Was a good game. The NCAA tournament is an amazing sporting spectacle that I think is only rivaled by the World Cup. Should be a crazy tournament this year. Kansas and Michigan State look good, but very beatable. My pick is Maryland.

Now I'm watching the Super Tuesday returns. I'm embarrassed to be an American right now. How is a major party about to nominate Donald Trump? Ted Cruz is also horrible. Rubio, I can tolerate, and he's now won just one state, Minnesota, which is a democrat state and kind of irrelevant.

I'll be supporting Hillary. She's not my favorite, but she's more than capable of doing the job well.
Dee74 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

My cousin's daughter (age 19) is in MN and voted for Bernie as did one of her parents and her older sister. That's the state of Jesse Ventura, they've long been a bit nutty. But she's happy that her guy won. Rubio's slinging mud with the best of them, and I don't generally like that kind of thing, but if ever a guy deserved it, it's Trump.

Dad and I have always had a strong connection through sports, and he raised me to love competition. I started to watch the Indiana game, glad I didn't see the whole thing. Iowa is fading into the stretch. That's not something Michigan State does, they'll be strong. It's a really fun tournament that's for sure.

All for now - I was successful with no sugar and no spending yesterday (I had to get my mother in law a gift, but that's not the kind of thing I'm trying to avoid), so I'm on day 2.
Dee74 (03-02-2016), nymets86 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Well, that was another horrendous debate. It's not just because I live in New York City, but I'd like to see Mike Bloomberg get involved in this campaign. He's an honest man and a good politician.

I do support Hillary, am fine with Sanders and find this slate of GOP nominees to be repulsive. Tonight's debate made that even more clear.

I don't take my sobriety for granted, but it's nights like this that sometimes remind me of why I used to drink constantly.

Instead of focusing on the election, I've been fascinated by the story of Scott Kelly coming back to Earth after a year in space. That's what I love about America. I do think that the USA will be the first country to land humans on Mars, but I'm probably getting carried away.

This weekend I have good sober plans. Tomorrow will be an evening at home and Saturday I'm heading to my brother's house for the big college hoops game. Him and his wife usually have a drink or two and no longer comment on me not drinking, so it's good environment. They do have a crazy dog that jumps on my face at 3 in the morning, but that's part of the fun.

Good night
Dee74 (03-06-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Mets, you and I seem to be very similar despite the age and gender differences. I love the Scott Kelly story too. Did you see the PBS special on him? It was part 1, and went from liftoff to landing. I don't know when part 2 is, but would anticipate it including some of the results of the tests they did, probably many about the differences between he and his brother after the year. I love space stuff.

And, to your point, anything to avoid this political soup. It's incredibly depressing, not to mention terrifying.

Good plans - and I think you will find that everyone eventually gets used to you not drinking. My friends immediately offer me a soda either at their homes or if we're out ordering drinks and it's not even a blip or in the slightest bit weird.

I don't have many plans at all this weekend, and I think it's probably for the best as I've been feeling a bit run down for the last couple of days, and have a headache and that "not quite right" feeling. I don't know if I'm getting sick or not, but a couple days laying low should help. It will also keep me out of the candy aisle (almost caved last night but didn't).

TGIF!
Dee74 (03-06-2016), nymets86 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Good Sunday Afternoon. It's been a leisurely weekend, and looks to be the same today. I've been holding steady on the no shopping and no sugar, so that's been almost a week! I should say no processed sugar - I still eat plenty of fruit. I can't quite bring myself to step on the scale because of the damage I did in the last 3 or 4 months. But I do feel more in control which is a good feeling. So I will putter a bit today, get myself ready for the workweek and then settle in for the finale of Downton Abbey, a very sad day for me because I love the show.

I don't believe I have had any thoughts of alcohol (other than reading here of course). So that's a plus!

Hope you had fun last night Mets.
Dee74 (03-06-2016), nymets86 (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Ready, I haven't seen that special. I'll check to see if I can find when its on and record it. PBS is pretty good about re-airing things.

This weekend was OK for me. I continue to have good days and bad days when it comes to feelings of loneliness. As great as it is to be with my family, I'm reminded that I'm the only single one and that one reason I do go out of town to see them is because it gets me away from being alone in my apartment. Again, overall, not a bad weekend. Life isn't perfect.

I'd rather be dealing with these issues than the issues over hospital billing that I had last March.

Have a nice week everyone!
Dee74 (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

And it's Tuesday, this is turning into a long week already but I don't mind being busy - just hate when it's breakneck and full of issues. This is sort of a mix so far. I worked late last night and was hoping to get more done than I did. A shirt that I was going to wear today was too small - boy did I ever do damage during that run of gluttony. What in the world was I thinking?? So overall, could be a better week. It will pass.

It's funny how you can feel lonely even when surrounded by people. I feel that way, not necessarily when I'm actually alone. I've always been a loner type, even though I think it would surprise people since I'm fairly outgoing. I'm glad you have good days to offset the bad days Mets. You're right, life isn't perfect.

So let's see, another fairly quiet week other than work. Next week gets more hectic and I'm already trying to figure out my excuse for not going to my sister's for Easter. I just don't really want to, but THAT will never fly.

Have a good day.
Dee74 (03-09-2016), nymets86 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me. Have a bit of the blahs, but know that this is part of the process and not really "me." Spending my time with positive replacement behaviors which are a MUST in recovery. Glad to be over week one.
Have a great day everyone!
Lee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leezer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi Lee - probably by now you have no doubt figured out that you posted in the wrong class - that said, good for you! Congrats on Day 8, likely Day 9 by now. It's tough, but you can do it. Speaking a year out, I can say that it really does get better and easier. The blahs still happen too! But they pass more quickly and are not nearly as low.

Wednesday, hump day, but what a nice one - 60 degrees out and rising. It makes you realize how close spring actually is. I can't wait! Dad and I scheduled our first Pawtucket game of the season (opening weekend), so that is a sure sign.

Have a good day.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Mets, if you haven't read the article in the Players Tribune by CC Sabathia, you should find it. Very very inspiring. I always liked him (even though he's a Yankee) but now I do even more so.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Just read the article. Some points definitely hit close to home.

I too used alcohol as a crutch in social situations and then it turned in to an addiction where I often avoided social situations so that I could drink to excess and not have to worry about embarrassing myself in public.

This week for me is going OK. Been very busy at work, which while stressful, I tend to actually enjoy. Problem is that my sleep has been awful this week. I'm alternating between not being able to fall asleep until 3 AM with waking up at 3AM and being unable to fall back asleep. Since I've been so busy at work, I haven't had time to think about how tired I am. I've been awake in bed for a few hours now and am going to try to get an hour of sleep now before work. I go through bouts of insomnia like this quite a bit, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but it's frustrating and not healthy.
Dee74 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the insomnia Mets. I have that periodically too.

My week has been busy and stressful - it feels like a never-ending hamster wheel. On the bright side, my sister wants to go visit my nephew in Dublin for a long weekend. It's a long way to go for a weekend, but I'm excited. Hopefully it works out. We've actually never done something like that together, and given our differences it's probably best we start out with a long weekend so we don't kill each other.

SO glad tomorrow's Friday - I'm ready.
Dee74 (03-11-2016), nymets86 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

So it looks like we're heading to Dublin for a long weekend! I've got my passport application complete, will be getting my picture tomorrow and will do the rest on Monday. I've been doing some reading and a coworker gave me some really good material from when she was there. Can't wait - it looks like such a fun place with lots to do. Why did I even hesitate? I have yet to meet anyone with anything bad to say about it, including my husband who was there for work once and loved it.

Between that and the fact that it's the weekend, I couldn't be more pleased. Aren't Fridays great!
Dee74 (03-11-2016), nymets86 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great Ready

Have a good one guys

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
nymets86 (03-12-2016), ReadyOrNot123 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Dublin is awesome. I was there when I was pretty young, so drinking wasn't even an issue. I've been to Ireland several times as I've gotten older for golf outings (there are direct flights from NYC to Shannon) and I think a lot of the stereotypes about the Irish are unfounded.

Enjoy the trip!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymets86 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (03-12-2016), ReadyOrNot123 (03-12-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

I really can't wait to go, it will be a bit of an adventure. I'm really curious about how we get along - we have a passively bumpy sort of relationship for reasons I don't really understand. But we've been on an upswing the past few months and I think this is good for us. Plus we both get to spoil my nephew, so he'll definitely benefit!
Dee74 (03-12-2016), nymets86 (03-14-2016)