Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 3

Old 07-21-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Back yet again from the June class. While I've been wanting to quit for a long time now (as I've posted before), I've got a great new job that I was extremely lucky to get, and the LAST think I want to do is screw it up by being hungover, mentally foggy or making a fool of myself in front of my colleagues (came close after a few glasses of wine this weekend, and that will ABSOLUTELY be the furthest it gets). Also, I just found out my wedding dress will arrive in 5 weeks and I can't think of a better way to lose those pounds than to cut out a huge source of my daily calories! I know these are external things, rather than an internal desire to get better for myself--which I do have, but I think at this point, those external factors will definitely help keep me going for now. I'm at just about 72 hours sober and feeling good--got great sleep for the first time in a few weeks (my job has been pretty easy and laid back these first few weeks, which was a great excuse to come home and get loaded in the evenings). It's nice waking up without regrets about the night before. See you around, everyone.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Administrator

Olivia, best wishes and good thoughts for you and your Aunt.

Welcome Margaux1969

Bon voyage Bobbefree

FWIW I told everyone when I quit - I was a very public drunk at the end anyway.

I regret it slightly in the sense I worried some people when I was at the point there was no longer anything to worry about.

Like I've said a few times, long explanations are generally not required.

I have found 'No thanks, I'll have a coke instead' works 99.99% of the time - even with old friends

D
Old 07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Day 1 today. I'm on a business trip and unfortunately made awful choice to drink a lot yesterday. Made fool of myself in front of colleagues. I made it through today but not without some embarrassment about last night's antics.
I can't believe I am here again. Again!!! I need to be around some people that get it....
Old 07-21-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Welcome to July, Saudades! I was in May (still am since I got attached), but July is my month day-wise (16 days today). I won't be drinking again. Wishing you the same success this time around. You have a lot going for you. Congrats on your 72 hours, dream joy and upcoming wedding!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Day 1 today. I'm on a business trip and unfortunately made awful choice to drink a lot yesterday. Made fool of myself in front of colleagues. I made it through today but not without some embarrassment about last night's antics.
I can't believe I am here again. Again!!! I need to be around some people that get it....
You can do this, Kitty. Just think about what you can do differently so it doesn't happen again.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome back previous month/year classmates!

Keep fighting the good fight one day at a time!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I'm right there with you, can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. There's a fine line between not beating yourself up too much about the past and forgetting it all together. All I can say is that there's no use worrying about what happened yesterday as long as you use it as a reminder to yourself next time you're faced with the same situation (going out with colleagues, etc). Good luck!
Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back saudades

D
Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

I can't believe an agoraphobic finally plucks up the courage to go out and gets held up at gunpoint......universe?!!!
So many great posts I wish I could reply to all of them. This 'human life' is certainly not always a bed of roses, is it? Thanks all of you guys for your honesty and loveliness :-)
Boy, I can so relate to the post-binge beating oneself up thing. Unfortunately, I only have to look in the mirror and see the damage I incurred from my last binge. Oh well, I love that line KO about learning from mistakes. Thanks.
CycleMania - I really admire the fact that you are protecting your wife like that. Be as kind and giving to yourself as you are to her by choosing not to drink and appreciating what a great guy you are (assuming you are a guy - I hear there was a certain victory over there in that regards recently - loved The White House).
Sending out lots of love and well wishes to all of you. We can do this.
From one of your "other side of the world friends" (I liked that Toadie)
xxxx
Old 07-21-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Tooshabby, I can't believe you picked that up from a post 5 pages before where we are now.

I got to thinking about how often we tell people to have a great day, sober day, whatever, and realized there are so many on here from "the other side of the world"...you are almost a day ahead of us in the States!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

May I join you July folks?

Hi all,
So... I am self banishing myself from the June 2015 class due to a slip-up this past weekend. I hope that the experience will make me a better July classmate. 7/20/2015 is my new date.
Do you have room for one more?
Thanks,
Don
Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome Don!

Restart your trip on the long road to recovery with us.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Heh heh.....I took notes :-)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Ha!
Thanks shabby.
D
Old 07-21-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Don

D
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the good vibes....it really works

Thank you everyone (Ditzy, Kale, Too, Troy and many others) who sent your good vibes my way. Made it through the evening in one drink-free piece and am going to tuck it away early so I can get a strong start on tomorrow.

I've never been one to believe in boards like this, thinking that it was a 'waste of time'. Well, a few short hours, some caring comments from individuals who I just met via a few keystrokes - and I realize how unenlightened my prior view was.

Thank you all for taking a moment, whether it was a heartfelt message or a thumbs up, to send some encouragement. I may have had a challenging day, but it is ending on a high note.

It has been said that 'it takes a village' to raise a child or family. Well, I think that a 'village' like this can also help heal a persons spirit and soul and help them to a better place.

Thanks again and I wish everyone a peaceful evening.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Welcome to all new and returning friends!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

I am loving this healing village too. I tried AA once years ago but it didn't suit, and there are no other groups down here to go to. It's so good to feel you are not alone. What strikes me about all the posts is their similarity as much as their uniqueness. There is so much goodness in people.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
I am loving this healing village too. I tried AA once years ago but it didn't suit, and there are no other groups down here to go to. It's so good to feel you are not alone. What strikes me about all the posts is their similarity as much as their uniqueness. There is so much goodness in people.

Its been comforting to know that whatever we post, there is someone, somewhere that can relate, and half way across the world too!

Welcome all new folks to July class!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I need your support so much!