Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 3

Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Welcome kittycat, DonTolan, CycleMania, FrankLapidas, and good on you Daria resisting temptation right before your very eyes.

Frank, my track record (to quote Cartman from South Park) sucks *ss! Yep, recognized the “Lost face” but also from Lawnmower Man.

Here’s an interesting article, the first of many studies (I hope) showing that the previous assumptions that moderate drinking is good for you is NOT the case at least for older folks.

Drinking May Be Bad for the Elderly Heart - NBC News

I will happily fling this in the face of my older peers who guzzle wine thinking its good for them…..

Start of day 19 sober. Starting to feel semi-OK....So I'd better be on guard!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hey folks! I am new to the class of July 2015...and on day 2 of not drinking I was on this site a year ago under a different name, but I forgot my password and realized anyhow that the name could be taken in an unintended way

...so here I am, ready to begin the path to complete sobriety! I realized I had a problem when alcohol started reacting with my body in bad ways (digestion and pains and odd reactions, etc. etc.) and I couldn't/wouldn't stop. So here I am. I'm a functional alcoholic, which hasn't done me much good because I don't have anybody telling me that I should change my ways. In other words, I don't have anybody (wife included) saying, "thank God he's on the right track now!"

I'll be looking to you guys to help me a bit on that part

My name, by the way, is John. Ron Medford is just a nickname my buddy gave me in school a loooong time ago!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Whiteturtle, if you can't bow out of going Friday, I'm assuming there will also be n/a drinks on the bus? Soda? Water? Also, keep in mind that surely not everyone will be drinking on the bus. People will also not make as big a deal out of you not drinking as you think they will (I discovered this last night). I find that a funny combo, honestly. From personal college experiences with friends, alcohol and roller coasters are not a good mix for the stomach. I've had friends get sick from mixing the two. But then most people probably wouldn't have more than a drink or two.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Frank --LOL! I don't want much, if any, tv! One lady (Delilah or something like that) shows her face. I wonder if that's her or another famous person! Sansas, is that u? LOL! On that note, where is Christina. I guess that was her on her avatar! Haven't seen her around lately. I've heard you can do a photo search ID type thing where you can identify the person. I could be tracked straight to Facebook in that case or to my local newspaper or tv news (in a good way... Not a convict!!!).

Bob - posting lots of good stuff for us to check out. Thanks much. I will definitely be checking this out.

Everyone have a great day!

Olivia
Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good Morning Day 9 :-) I had a great workout this morning, Im feeling a little tired now but not too bad!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Good morning July!

Got some awesomeness going on here.

image-219438415.jpg
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm back in. Relapsed for a couple days there, but thankfully caught myself fairly quickly. Usually it lasts for a few weeks, if not months. Actually, I'll be joining the August class, hopefully that will be my last class, and hopefully I'll be able to start on Aug 1st with a good week of sobriety.

I know exactly where I screwed up as well -- I waited too long. I even mentioned in this thread my emotions were high, so I'm going to relax for an extra day or two before beginning my long term sobriety plan. Big mistake. In hindsight, that was just my AV telling himself, "I'll just keep him isolated a little longer, than I'm sure I'll get to come out and play". Dick.

Tomorrow morning will begin spending time at the temple that's just beside my house, with hopes of getting to know a couple monks, for multiple reasons. Spirituality, friendship, learning something new that interests me, but most importantly, I want to begin engaging the community and help if / where I can.

I have no idea how to do that here though. In Canada, it's easy -- go to SPCA, food bank, homeless shelter, or where ever. Here though, I have no idea, so I figure if anyone knows, it's the monks. I'm going to need fulfillment in my life to do this though, because there's no way I'm staying sober by hanging out at home with my dogs.

Then everyone in this community (where I live, not SR) has been beyond friendly to me, so I want to reach out a little more to them, and hopefully form some friendships. There's no way I'm getting sober by myself. AA doesn't exist here, but I don't need it anyway. Just simple friendship will do. I have no words to describe how amazing SR and the people here are, but nonetheless, it is an online forum.

I am unfortunately tapering this time. Didn't want to, but felt the withdrawals coming on quite strong, and last time I'm quite confident I was close to a seizure. Hopefully I'll be able to stop completely again tomorrow or the day after. I know I shouldn't be tapering, but withdrawals keep getting worse.

Anyway, sorry to keep bugging everyone. I am honestly trying though.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I am unfortunately tapering this time. Didn't want to, but felt the withdrawals coming on quite strong, and last time I'm quite confident I was close to a seizure. Hopefully I'll be able to stop completely again tomorrow or the day after. I know I shouldn't be tapering, but withdrawals keep getting worse. Anyway, sorry to keep bugging everyone. I am honestly trying though.
I really hope that works for you. I'd also try incorporating healthy items in your diet to see if that may help with the withdrawals.

I'm joining the July class as well. I was in March's class but failed.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I really hope that works for you. I'd also try incorporating healthy items in your diet to see if that may help with the withdrawals.

I'm joining the July class as well. I was in March's class but failed.
Nah, my diet is actually excellent, and extremely healthy. Loads of greens, lots of fish, etc. I can't remember the last time I had a chocolate bar, bag of chips, etc. For such an alcoholic, I eat surprisingly well.

Welcome to the July class Jillian. Don't worry, I think I've joined every class since March.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Anyway, sorry to keep bugging everyone. I am honestly trying though.[/QUOTE]

Good morning Troy.
Keep bugging us as we bug each other....
Welcome back.
Don
Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Whiteturtle.. Combo of bus , drinks and roller coasters sounds icky... I'm sure no one would blink an eye if you said alcohol and rides don't agree with you?

So many people to reply to, don't want to leave anyone out but I'm still battling insomnia so forgetting things, no offense meant, I read everything and so great to see more people joining July. Scram, I'm impressed you got things moving so fast! Way to go, and the urine testing , . Talk about being accountable, wow!

BBF , thanks for the link. It helps to keep drilling in our heads the various health risks if we start drinking again. My MCV(red blood count) was very high at Dr's, he chalked it up to lab error (before my admission of alcohol and didn't get back to that). However I learned here that alcohol can cause the red blood cells to enlarge I picture it as sludgy blood sticking to my arteries and in my brain who wants that? ( visuals are key to me) .

Feeling a bit low today, forget what Day, 9 maybe? Off to meditate a bit before work. Gonna try to find a guided imagery for energy or something on YT. YT and SR and rational recovery website major tools for me so far . Must have been harder to fight this pre Internet, aye?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

(((((Troy)))) Don't need to leave July, keep coming back! Community outreach is a great idea and talking to the monks. You are adding tools bit by bit, that is progress. Please keep checking in!!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Yeh don't leave us Troy we like you here
Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hello lovely people--thought I'd check in even though I don't have much to say today. I don't want to become one of those vanishing newcomers!

Went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant last night with my friend. She did ask why I wasn't drinking and I just told her that I'd been drinking too much lately. She said she had been too, but it had been a crummy week so she was having a margarita.

After dinner she said, Well, we could go to [usual bar], but if we're not drinking...

She was pretty disappointed. I was happy to go there, but she wasn't, if I was just going to have a coke. OH WELL.

I guess I'm feeling a bit better. Having a great deal of trouble getting out of bed lately. Immense fatigue and lack of interest in the day.

Thinking of all of you today and wishing you strength and health!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Nah, my diet is actually excellent, and extremely healthy. Loads of greens, lots of fish, etc. I can't remember the last time I had a chocolate bar, bag of chips, etc. For such an alcoholic, I eat surprisingly well. Welcome to the July class Jillian. Don't worry, I think I've joined every class since March.
Well that's good then I guess lol!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Troy, I agree with the others pleading with you to Stay with us! I have had a rough month but I am committed to finishing it off sober and staying around. I hope you do too

I have been reading but not posting because as a few of you mentioned, it's not as easy on the app to respond, etc.. But I need to make the effort because I need the support and connection here.

Tomorrow I have an appt with a counselor- not an addiction counselor but I'm hoping to just share my struggles with lots of things in my life and not feel like I'm burdening family/friends.

I know drinking has different effects on people but for me besides the physical effects, it really muddles my thoughts, steals my confidence, and I lose all optimism for life and the things I enjoy- the things that make me, me. If that makes any sense. Anyway, I have struggled this month but I would so much rather the struggle and the benefits staying sober than the struggle and effects of drinking.

Hope everyone is having a good day and, if not, remember that feelings and moods pass
Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Thinking of y'all today! In the middle of day 19 and not looking back! I just posted a long thread about my lifelong battle with an addictive personality. It feels good putting words down for me to read and hopefully someone else can relate. Someday, I will write a book an tell my story to all. I envision myself at some point ministering to children when I have a lot of sobriety time under my belt. I got into teaching to inspire students and help them to see that there's a better life out there, that they can make for themselves. I can't live two lives anymore and be an inspiration!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Really struggling today. Struggling to see the point or any real future.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Kind of missing that feeling of confidence and like your always ready to take on the world.. always tomorrow of course. It's all a sense of potential and never doing stuff. It's an illusion. Sometimes illusions are easier than actually trying to do things for real.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

DD, what's your dream in life? If you don't mind me asking, of course.