Notices

Class of July 2015 Part 3

Old 07-21-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

July has been a complete mess so far an absolute disater , From today im trying my hardest.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Bradley - whats your plan?
D
Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Welcome Bradley. Plenty of support here.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hang in there Bradley :-)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Awesome Bob!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome July first time newcomers & reborn newcomers!

Moving into day 19 today...not sure I like the days counting/posting but will stay with it through the first 30 days, then maybe go to weeks counting.

I do know the benefit of every new day though.

Yesterday's day 4 IOP therapy session for substance abuse was another poor day...my second time for music therapy for the skills section (attendees requesting songs to be played on guitar or the counselor's Ipad), and then part of our group was moved into the mental health program for the process section and I listened to suicidal patients express themselves. I did participate and do have compassion but don't see how this is helping me much.

Still maintaining an open mind and hope Wednesday and Friday are a little more productive.

Have a sobering day today, or night for our other side of the world friends.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Day 8 woke up a little less tired this morning so overall I feel good. I had a wicked headache last night that persisted for over an hour till I broke down and took some advil :-(
Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bradley! Let us know what you'll do differently to stop drinking. It's best to develop a plan and tools for sobriety. Keep us posted!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Dawn of Day 8. Still a member of too early wake up club, 4 am vs 3 so progress and no nightmares, good TroyW, how it's going ? Insomnia.. I can quit you, really. Go.

No AV yesterday after the boss with me all day, it was different. I was me yesterday, not a faker....just me, and it was enough. Thinking back I have always had a few drinks the night before the "ride alongs" due to nerves, so dealing with some type of withdrawal or hangover, that's the difference. Hope AV keeps the duct tape on its mouth today .

((((Whiteturtle)))))

Scram , important day for you today, keep us posted.
Welcome Bradley!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Some great posts here as usual. Welcome newcomers! Dee, your profile says 25 years of heavy drinking. I can relate unfortunately! Good luck! This site is very helpful!

Sunday's sermon says to "maintain an attitude of gratitude and compassion". Also forgiveness (to the best of your ability). It was a really good sermon.

JL - stress. I can relate. I bet a lot of us have a lot of stress. I did the 28 year white collar stress thing. Now eight years farming with my husband. Spring, summer, fall is 10-12+/seven days a week. Then all the personal stuff. The farming is still nice even if long hours. We are getting caught up where we can breathe again. Just put up 1400 bales of straw and hoed 75 acres (3-4 of us). This isn't "bad" stress and is like working out sometimes. Stress is so hard on your body. As I get older I'm realizing it more and more. Do the best to reduce your stress is all I can say. Even if it's just meditating (I never did that before but starting to see something in this).

So we got the news yesterday that my fave aunt has lung cancer! Tests are in. If you smoke, please stop. My liver might fail but I've never been a smoker! I know that doesn't mean u won't get lung cancer. She just turned 83. Doc always marveled her lungs were clear. She's been smoke free for 15 years. Game plan.... If she can pass the breathing test, remove partial lung. If not, chemo and/or radiation. I've witnessed the chemo process with my mom (ovarian C). Not a pretty thing to go thru. My aunt takes really good care of herself. She recently said she might see 100 (and I could easily believe that ). Then a strange cough with a thread of blood. Lost my 55 year old bro-in-law last August to lung cancer (and other lifestyle causes). Here we go again. I lost seven family members from June 2013 to Aug 14 (my husband and I). Both dad's, bro, fave uncle (wife is fave aunt now with C), my dad's whole family (3 in same year !), nephew (drugs). Wew! Can u say stress!

Anyway, I still believe the best thing to do is exercise and try to keep a handle on stress. I know it's easier said than done. Good luck to everyone. As Casey always says, " just don't take that first drink!" I'm still trying to get caught up on posts.

Keep on keepin on.

Olivia
Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

A prayer I read regularly, as I begin the day, has the line: "I thank you for the all success in my life that has encouraged me and for all failure, through which I have learnt to do better".

Our perspective -- focus forward -- helps us make sense of what's been in our past, and can give us hope for the future. I need to always remember that when I start beating myself up for what I've done . . . can't change it, but CAN work to keep from repeating it.

A new day!

KO
Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Good day all. Checking in day 16 or 17. Mind is foggy.
JL I can releate. I post frome the phone and it's hard to write a message without errors.
Rough day yesterday with a bad anxiety attack. Feelings of hopelessness, anxious and wanting to drink. At first I thought it was the chantix. Then I remembered I didn't really eat so I bhalted myself. Been rough lately been out as I missed a month of work for family medical issues. Luckily we had some savings so I think we will make it. Just ranting and feeling down. Need to remeber my gratitude list. I have been to many bad places with people living on the streets begging for change and hustling to get by.

As March said it's easier to be happy by starting from a place of grattitude.

Take car and today is a new day.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the updates. Well done on a new day everyone. So sorry to hear about your Aunt Olivia. I am hoping the ecig leads to quitting completely. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time Letitgo

I am still struggling with energy and motivation today but I feel ok and don't have any desire for a drink.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Gratitude list is really really a focus point for me.
Bradley what's going on??
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Olivia thank you, and I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt also
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

JL, not sure if I should say this or not, but you seem to be under an immense amount of stress, and finances seem to play a big part in that. If I remember correctly, you mentioned a while ago you recently bought a new car due to pressure from your wife, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any chance you could maybe downsize your life a little? My oldest brother was always extremely stressed out until he had enough. Then him and his wife decided to downsize for the sake of the family. They sold the house, bought and moved into a smaller house, sold one of their vehicles, etc. He now seems to be 1000x happier than he was previously.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Wishing a better day for you today, letitgo.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Wow, Olivia, you and your hubby have been through a lot of grieving! So sorry about your aunt. Lung cancer is awful--2 of my friends' husbands have it (inoperable). Hope her treatment gives her some good years ahead.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hi all--May I join you here?

I wrote an introduction in another thread. Had my last drink July 8. (Or maybe wee hours of the 9th? Don't remember.)

This wasn't the ideal time to quit, as I'm trying and as of now failing to restart my career, and feeling incredibly stressed. However, it had to happen.

Very depressed this morning and worried about meeting my friend for dinner tonight. She'll expect me to drink with her. What to say??

I'm SO GLAD I have found this community! xoxo
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Sorry about your aunt Olivia.
I can't sleep tonight. It's too windy! The wind is keeping me awake. Still sober.