Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 47

Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Believe me, Petals--drinking wouldn't be anywhere near as good as you remember. We tend to get a false nostalgia about our "dear old pal"--but in fact it wasn't that good. We were just so relieved to escape into oblivion that it seemed good.

You'd be miserable if you caved in now--especially since you've made it to a whole year!

You'll be fine.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Petals

If you want to celebrate celebrate - you deserve it

but choose something that reflects the good choices you've been making for the last 365 days.

Do something that will build you up - not tear you down

D
Old 07-22-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on a year sober, Petals!
Of course you can still come here - we don't kick people out
Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Hey Petals! Way to go on one year!

Busy day today on my day 20, some quick pool/yard cleanup after a wild fast moving thunderstorm came through for 30 minutes yesterday around 6 pm, fed the four cats, need to get cleaned up and off to my day 5 of IOP therapy.

Some of you have read about my disappointment so far with the IOP therapy, just not supplying me with much help. I have spoken to my counselor about it and agreed to give them more time.

Still hoping for the best! Thanks for welcoming me here.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Congratulations Petals on one year sober!! There are so many wonderful ways to celebrate; if you are feeling the urge to drink, my suggestion is to stick around here.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Nice job Petals! Congrats!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Toadie, yes, good to give IOP more time. I won't say mine was earth-shattering and it sure didn't solve all of my problems. It did help keep me sober during those first 3 months and we also were required to attend a minimum number of AA meetings. I learned a couple of new tools, particularly a discussion of the relapse cycle and ways to deal with the progression. All-in-all, looking back on it, it did make a difference for me. Way to go on Day 20!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Toadie welcome to the undies!

Petals big congrats on a year sober! That's awesome!

Long story but water heater repaired yesterday morning then I get home after womp to a garage reeking of gas from the heater. Called the company and guy comes back out at 10PM to fix mistake. Was here till about 11AM and now all fixed. I am super tired from not sleeping the night before last plus being up late again last night.

Off to womp. Already looking forward to an early night of sleep tonight.

Some records came in the mail yesterday. I'm super stoked to listen to them. One of them is this limited color vinyl release I found from 2004 by this punk band NOFX that I'm super stoked about
Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

The punk rock will instantly soothe you to sleep, BF! !
Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on one year, petals! That is tremendous! I suggest you post here AND on the over thread. Twice the fellowship, same low price!

Starting day 76 here. I'm feeling a little blah today. I've built up a couple of resentments over the last week that I've got to let go of. Going to work on that today. Not feeling like drinking, but also not feeling particularly happy with my recovery at the moment. Usually every morning I spend my first 20-30 minutes awake perusing the Newcomers board, looking for actual newcomers to welcome, etc., but I have no desire to do so this morning. Probably means this is when I especially need to go ahead and do so, but I just plain don't feel like it. So I'm not going to.

I'm off work today. About to get dressed and then get some laundry done. I don't have washer/dryer connections at my house. Luckily my dad and stepmother (who is pretty much my mother) live just two blocks away and don't mind me using theirs. While my clothes are in the dryer, I'm going to go get some lunch and then go to a noon AA meeting. Been almost a week since I've been to one, maybe that's part of my problem right now.

Anyways, I'm sure this blah feeling will pass eventually. Hope everyone is doing OK today. Talk to you later.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

BF, sorry to hear about your water heater problems! I hope you get some good, solid sleep tonight!

Casey, every now and then I let myself off the hook for missing something. A friend once told me that he figured if he skipped one time something he "should" do, that was ok. If he skipped twice, it was time to get moving. Three times in a row indicated a real problem that needed attention. I find that works for me :-)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hey Casey! I have many starts to days like the one you describe. Mood swings were particularly pronounced until very recently when things appear to have settled down (Just over 3 months). Even so I often struggle to find the energy and some days look pretty uphill. I think that's just life though. Some days up, some days down. Sometimes I am able to "decide" to be in a good mood and that often ends up coming off but other times the energy just isn't there. Where I live we say "a mal tiempo, buena cara". It means something like "when faced with heavy weather, always smile". Give it a try
Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Just checking in from Europe. Finishing up day 8 after my slip last week. The vacation away from NYC and the temptations there have been nice. Really haven't felt tempted at all and my family clearly gets that I'm not drinking anymore and I haven't really had to use the "no liquid calories" excuse much, though that's actually come in handy since I would always fall back on juice/soft drinks and having just sparkling water, with long days of sightseeing and getting some jogs in have just made me feel extremely healthy.

Hope everyone is well! I didn't get to read everything above, but plan to catch up when I'm back stateside
Old 07-22-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Hey everyone!

Back from day 5 of my IOP (Intensive Out Patient) therapy for substance abuse (alcohol), talking to the counselor about getting into something else, this doesn't seem to have much benefit for me personally.

We talked about one on one counseling maybe being of more benefit, so may be examining that option soon. maybe once of twice a week.

I plan on finishing this week and maybe give it the third week (would be 9 sessions)...after that who knows?

Time to go soak my head in the pool!
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

I had a much needed day off from work today. It's a beautiful day and I got a lot of errands accomplished.

Casey - Your story about your cooler ride home than expected had me giggling. I'm sorry you're struggling today. My first year of sobriety I struggled with irritability and lack of motivation. Meetings helped me, even on the days when nothing felt right, or the meetings didn't go particularly well. I don't look back fondly on those first months of sobriety, but I can see how with every passing week, my recovery activities added to the foundation for a good sober life. In other words, getting to a meeting will probably do you a world of good today.

Amp - Great saying. For me, part of learning how to deal with the heavy weather was learning how to take small breaks, and work with my natural rhythm and flow - instead of racing through life, ignoring my red flags, then soothing myself with alcohol. I white knuckled my way through enough challenging situations that I don't recommend that practice.

Saskia - You are always so full of practical advice. I love that rule of thumb on getting to one's chores and responsibilities.

Toadie - Welcome! Congratulations on your sober time. While you sort out your treatment options, keep in mind that the most important thing is that you don't drink today. You can get to the issues underlying your drinking when you're ready. I know mine have waited patiently for me as I peel off layer upon layer of the proverbial onion to reveal more.

BoozeFree - I'm glad you're going to be able to take warm showers again! It's very cool that you're a shoulder to lean on for your friends. It's like they say in AA, "Love freely given surely beings a full return."

Site - I'm glad you're enjoying your travels soberly. I love to get out and about sober and without hangovers.

Mets - I'm glad that you feel strong in your sobriety during your trip and am looking forward to hearing more when you get a chance.

I'm so humbled by how quickly folks catch on to how much better life feels sober. It took me a while. In early sobriety every day felt like an uphill journey. When I stopped drinking I wasn't able to fall back on my old quick fix to feel good of exercising hard and drinking green smoothies. Life handed me an unexpected autoimmune arthritis that rendered me unable to keep up with my usual exercise habits. My mood sunk, and I had to find a new way to feel good. I dove into recovery. It has become the foundation for a good life, one that transcends physical limitations.

I backed off from exercise (for more than 3 days - tsk, tsk) but I'm back at it today in a modified version. I have to approach it differently - in order to be able to do it again tomorrow. Learning how to course correct is one of the many unintended benefits of recovery.

Keep at it Undies.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I just want to say how happy I am to be here.
The other day I celebrated 90 day sober! I was ecstatic all day, then something hit me. I realized that I first discovered SR 9 months ago. What bummed me out was the fact that I was ONLY sober for 3 of those long nine months. It really bothered me for a while, kind of took the wind out of my sails, if you know what I mean. Oh well, the joys of recovery. I am back to being super darn proud of my accomplishment. Just thought I 'd share.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Cauli - Great job on 90 days sober. That's a terrific accomplishment. Learn from your mistakes but try not to let them take the wind out of your sails. I find that if I keep my compass pointed to what I am doing right, the better focused I am on doing the next right thing.

Way to go!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Cauliflower, congrats on 90 days!! I kinda get what you're saying, but I really think 90 days is an accomplishment whether it took you 6 months to quit or 20.

Petal, congrats on a year!! So very cool. Yeah the last thing you should celebrate with is the thing you kind of want to. Totally normal, yet also totally avoidable.

Sassysass, I was wondering what the "popover" thing was about. I rather like being called a popover!!

Toots, I had a laugh at myself over your beautiful post a couple pages ago. In a small part of it, you said I misunderstood "vigilance." My little alcoholic ego chimed in, " of course I know what vigilance is!!" Lol. I think it's very interesting how all of us as individuals are different people, yet as alcoholics we have so many similarities. So I gotta let stuff goooooooo. Lol

Things are good in wehavland. A week and a half of crazy workapalooza then I go camping for a few days. Then more work, then England for two weeks! We are taking our "newlywed victory lap" lol. We got married in California (where I'm from) live in Ohio, now were going to her home in England. Not because of the wedding, she goes home all the time. But there will be cake this trip.

Hope everyone has a good sober day, undies!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Cauliflower, 90 days is a milestone - and nothing to sneeze at! Try to focus on the positive rather than the negative "but ...". We can change the way we do things in the future but we can't go back and rewrite the past :-)
Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no such thing as 'only' sober Cauli - I think back to where I used to be and every day sober is a bloomin' miracle

Congrats again

D