View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
gleefan

Hi Undies

I had a much needed day off from work today. It's a beautiful day and I got a lot of errands accomplished.

Casey - Your story about your cooler ride home than expected had me giggling. I'm sorry you're struggling today. My first year of sobriety I struggled with irritability and lack of motivation. Meetings helped me, even on the days when nothing felt right, or the meetings didn't go particularly well. I don't look back fondly on those first months of sobriety, but I can see how with every passing week, my recovery activities added to the foundation for a good sober life. In other words, getting to a meeting will probably do you a world of good today.

Amp - Great saying. For me, part of learning how to deal with the heavy weather was learning how to take small breaks, and work with my natural rhythm and flow - instead of racing through life, ignoring my red flags, then soothing myself with alcohol. I white knuckled my way through enough challenging situations that I don't recommend that practice.

Saskia - You are always so full of practical advice. I love that rule of thumb on getting to one's chores and responsibilities.

Toadie - Welcome! Congratulations on your sober time. While you sort out your treatment options, keep in mind that the most important thing is that you don't drink today. You can get to the issues underlying your drinking when you're ready. I know mine have waited patiently for me as I peel off layer upon layer of the proverbial onion to reveal more.

BoozeFree - I'm glad you're going to be able to take warm showers again! It's very cool that you're a shoulder to lean on for your friends. It's like they say in AA, "Love freely given surely beings a full return."

Site - I'm glad you're enjoying your travels soberly. I love to get out and about sober and without hangovers.

Mets - I'm glad that you feel strong in your sobriety during your trip and am looking forward to hearing more when you get a chance.

I'm so humbled by how quickly folks catch on to how much better life feels sober. It took me a while. In early sobriety every day felt like an uphill journey. When I stopped drinking I wasn't able to fall back on my old quick fix to feel good of exercising hard and drinking green smoothies. Life handed me an unexpected autoimmune arthritis that rendered me unable to keep up with my usual exercise habits. My mood sunk, and I had to find a new way to feel good. I dove into recovery. It has become the foundation for a good life, one that transcends physical limitations.

I backed off from exercise (for more than 3 days - tsk, tsk) but I'm back at it today in a modified version. I have to approach it differently - in order to be able to do it again tomorrow. Learning how to course correct is one of the many unintended benefits of recovery.

Keep at it Undies.