Notices

2 Days in (48 Hours) Part 2 (ZaBoozers Thread)

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
So, it looks like this might just be a new journey that I take in life. So far everything looks promising.
Sounds great, Boozer!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I'm really impressed by the way you have picked up the ball and ran with it Zab. You're an inspiration
Ta saoutchik, much appreciated chap.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Sounds great, Boozer!
Ta Frank, it is exciting.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Today is one hundred and twenty one for me and it does not start with good news unfortunately. One of our biggest projects has been canned. The madmen continue to strike. Job cuts are now inevitable. It is only a waiting game. The CEO's give interviews where they say that the people should not look to large enterprise for job creation anymore. I don't know if the people on the floor realise what mess they have created. Business first.

Physically I am good. I am sleeping and eating well. It is something to be grateful for.

Mentally I am a little tired. My mind is racing with all the things that are happening here in SA. I think that the writing is on the wall and that many of the engineering houses are now going to just implode.

Emotionally I am fair. I have not had much time to think about this aspect of me. Good thing in a way.

I am not really talkative this morning. Too much running around in my mind today.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-05-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Sounds grim Zab. Hope things start looking up soon. No use worrying about stuff that's out of your hands but sometimes it's hard not to.

Stay strong and have a good day
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Sounds grim Zab. Hope things start looking up soon. No use worrying about stuff that's out of your hands but sometimes it's hard not to.

Stay strong and have a good day
Ta amp, the news is not much better today here in SA.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Day one hundred and twenty two brings more doom and gloom. We have emergency meetings going one everywhere. Captains of industry and politicians. Managers. Workers. Unfortunately no-one seems to be on the same page. This is really not good for industry in SA. Business first.

Physically I am good. I have been sleeping as well as I can under the circumstances. I am eating well, even when I don't feel like it.

Mentally I am great. With all the turmoil and uncertainty going on, I am still working on my plan. I have a suspicion that what was a dream is going to have to become a reality with all the trouble that industry is facing here in SA.

Emotionally I am fair. I don't really have much time to think about anything except the problems that we are facing at work.

I should say that all is not doom and gloom for the mining and industrial sectors here in SA, but in all honesty - I cannot. The workers wage demands are unreasonable. The companies are not willing to concede. We have lost 23 000 jobs here in SA since April alone. It is going to get way worse. My idea? Well, I think my plan has a very good chance of succeeding.

Time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-05-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the work woes ZaB.

I have been through the redundancy process once a year for the last 3 years and each time I have been convinced that I'm the chosen one, as I'm the only part-timer.

Each time I have survived by hook or by crook but its really stressful to go through each time. I am having to come up with a plan in case it happens again.

Hoping your dream plan is successful Mr Z... it does seem to be coming together very nicely

m
Old 08-06-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

One day at a time, mate. Who knows what tomorrow will bring
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Sorry to hear about the work woes ZaB.

I have been through the redundancy process once a year for the last 3 years and each time I have been convinced that I'm the chosen one, as I'm the only part-timer.

Each time I have survived by hook or by crook but its really stressful to go through each time. I am having to come up with a plan in case it happens again.

Hoping your dream plan is successful Mr Z... it does seem to be coming together very nicely

m
Ta m for the kind words. I have been through the retrenchment thing before. The scary thing is that I have never seen the industry this bad before and I have been here for twenty two years.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

One day at a time, mate. Who knows what tomorrow will bring
Ta amp, I hear you mate. I think most of us are taking it one day at a time as we have no idea how these idiots will conspire to bugger it up next.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

It is Friday and the start of day one hundred and twenty three for me. It is going to be an interesting day to say the least as we have our bi-weekly departmental meeting. On the plus side - Monday is a holiday, so I have a long weekend. Business first.

Physically I am great. I slept well last night. I also ate very well. Steak, egg, chips and salad for lunch alone.

Mentally I am good. I am trying hard not to think too much about the things that are going on in the country at the moment. Other people are paid a helluva lot more money than me to do that. I am concentrating on my plan and working on getting that as solid as possible. I have an exhibition tomorrow and I get to meet some more of the pro's. Good thing as I have a few questions for them.

Emotionally, I am fair. I have my ups and downs and that goes with the territory.

As I said, it is Friday and a long weekend for me. I cannot wait for this day to end. I think I need the rest to take my mind off of the things that are going on here.

Time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Enjoy the long weekend, Zab!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Enjoy the long weekend, Zab!
Ta amp, I plan on doing just that.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry to hear you are in the middle of trying times Zab. Low commodity prices are a big driver in the current situation - good for the rest of the world but bad for commodity exporting countries like yours. Prices never stay really low or really high for too long.

Corporations, Unions, politicians and people - everyone thinks short term these days
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Sorry to hear you are in the middle of trying times Zab. Low commodity prices are a big driver in the current situation - good for the rest of the world but bad for commodity exporting countries like yours. Prices never stay really low or really high for too long.

Corporations, Unions, politicians and people - everyone thinks short term these days
Hey there saoutchick, I wish this was the case in SA. Unfortunately it is not. A lot of what is going on here is racially driven. Unless we stop playing the race card and actually give a hand in developing the country - it will fail.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

It is Tuesday and the start of day one hundred and twenty seven for me. I had a long weekend this side - much needed I think. Business first.

Physically I am good. I am eating well. Sleep is sometimes a battle. I guess it is the mind that is working overtime. When it does come though, it is deep and peaceful. I still have no dreams that I can recall in the morning.

Mentally I am great. The exhibition went very well on Saturday. What was surprising is that the beer I thought the woman would like was a bigger hit with the men and the beer for the men was a big hit with the woman - just goes to show. I spent most of the weekend reading up on different financing options. There is a lot to absorb and I need to start moving.

Emotionally I am ok. I have my highs and lows. Today I have been married three years - and in the dark for five months. One foot in front of the other.

Well, the weekend was good. The weather was nice. Not too cold and the sun was out for most of it. My kitchen cupboards are in. Now I wait for another contractor to finish the kitchen counters.

The plan is coming together nicely. I now need to throw myself into the financing and to carry out a few reconnaissance visits. I have an idea where - now I need to make sure. I met a few guys on Saturday and we had quite an interesting chat. I really think that I am onto something. Fortunately the guys that are battling here in SA with this kind of thing are looking for a "gimmick" to keep them on the map. Better to provide good service and product than to look for a "gimmick" to sustain your business - all good for me.

Well, time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Hey Zab. Sounds tough to go through your anniversary like that. Did you agree on 6 months with your wife? I think you mentioned it once but don't remember.

Like you say, one step at a time. Hopefully when you meet she will see all you have done to change your life for herself. In the meantime you have nothing but patience. Like you say, one step at a time and keep fighting the good fight

Glad the convention went well. I agree with you about taking one small area of the market and making it your own. Sounds like you've found a niche! Get in there!!

Have a great day!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hey Zab. Sounds tough to go through your anniversary like that. Did you agree on 6 months with your wife? I think you mentioned it once but don't remember.

Like you say, one step at a time. Hopefully when you meet she will see all you have done to change your life for herself. In the meantime you have nothing but patience. Like you say, one step at a time and keep fighting the good fight

Glad the convention went well. I agree with you about taking one small area of the market and making it your own. Sounds like you've found a niche! Get in there!!

Have a great day!
Hi amp, ta for the kind words. My wife and I have not agreed on any time frame. In fact, we are not even on speaking terms.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

And so starts day one hundred and twenty eight. The sun is out and about. There is a bite to the air, but it is not unpleasant. I am still around and fighting the good fight. Business first.

Physically I am great. I slept really well last night. No headache this morning. And a great appetite.

Mentally I am good. I have started doing my research about where I can raise the finance for my idea. It seems that there appears to be a lot of red tape here in SA. I am not convinced yet that it is not doable.

Emotionally I am fair. I made it through yesterday and I am still here today.

I attended a seminar last night for our national brewing association. I got to chatting with one of the guys that is running his own brew pub. It was very interesting to hear the problems he is experiencing and to just chat in general. We are also getting very close to the stage where I need to brew for our national homebrew championship if I am going to enter. All in all, it was a good networking experience. I now know that I am definitely not going to be doing this here in Gauteng, but definitely in the Western Cape.

I also ran into a lot of people that were at Saturdays do. It was quite touching that they remember my beers and me.

Well time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB