Notices

2 Days in (48 Hours) Part 2 (ZaBoozers Thread)

Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Monday morning and the start of day one hundred and forty for me. We are in for a very interesting week this side, not good at all. Business first.

Physically I am great. I ate like a champ this weekend. My appetite is really good. I had no problems with sleeping at all. All in all I seem to be in great shape.

Mentally I am good. I spent most of the weekend reading up on stuff. I did a bit of work on the web page. I think it is looking good.

Emotionally I am fair. The weekends seem to be the worst.

Well, we had some more bad news on Friday afternoon. Job cuts are definitely on the horizon. I think it is going to start very soon. Not good. There seems to be a very bad air hanging in the office. People know and are very worried. It is all rather depressing.

Time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

It is the start of day one hundred and forty one. It is Tuesday. There is more doom and gloom in the news. Our currency took a hiding yesterday against the major currencies. Not nice. Business first.

Physically I am good. I am a little tired as I was quite restless last night. There are just too many things running around in my head at the moment. MY appetite is good though.

Mentally I am great. I keep on working at my plan. It is much easier when you break it down into little pieces.

Emotionally, I am fair. I have my ups and downs, but I am coping.

Well, the news this side is not good. I am not sure where this is all going to end, but we have to keep taking it day by day.

Time for a cup of tar and a cigarette.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

One day at a time is all you can do right now. Try not to worry too much.

All the best
Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you have your new venture to work on Zab, hopefully it will take your mind of the work situation and eventually be your source of income. Share and commodity prices on the floor everywhere at the moment so bad for producing countries but hopefully consumers will pick up the slack through low fuel prices and interest rates.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hi Zab I'm throwing this in here but have you thought about maybe taking a short holiday? i know that it wouldn't be the same without your wife but this trip I'm on has done me the world of good. It's been very therapeutic to just get away from everything. Just a thought :-)
M
Old 08-27-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Boozer, you still here?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Zab? Kind of got used to you posting on week days. You OK?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope everything is OK Zab
Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Administrator

add my voice to the chorus - you ok Zab?

D
Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Hey just home and catching up...ZaB we are wondering if you are ok?

M... and I am adding a
Old 08-29-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Craig?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

I am here. First up - apologies for the extended absence. I am going to forego the usual format this morning and rather just talk about what has been happening here. Things have been really hectic this side. I am afraid that it is all doom and gloom. Our directors and HOD's have been meeting non-stop since last week. Layoff's are here, and they are here with a vengeance.

I have not had a chance to do anything at work really. People want to talk and speculate about what is going on. Our management is not saying anything. I do have an inside track on some things and I can say it does not look good. From what I gather they have been drawing up lists of who gets to stay and who gets to go. Each manager is fighting for their own little fiefdom. It is all rather sad.

It is weighing heavily on the staff. From what I can gather, they are looking at laying off at least 25% of our permanent staff. This excludes temps and contractors. It is going to be a big blood bath. In SA, the magnitude of this type of layoff requires a consultation period of 60 days. This means that a lot of people are going to be getting Dear John letters as we go into the Christmas break.

As you can imagine - this is really demoralising for the people that are here. I get into the office and there is always someone waiting to talk about it. The guys don't want to go home so it is off to the pub to discuss the issue further. Where are we going? What are we going to do? Where can we find work? The same questions every day that run around in circles and never seem to be answered.

It is all rather depressing and sad as I think that this is really the end. A lot of engineering houses here in SA started this sort of thing two years ago and are just managing to stay afloat. I wonder if my company has not left it to late.

Where does this leave me? Well I have been eating a lot of steak egg and chips. I am still sober. I cannot lie - I have had a beer or two with the guys, but I always leave quickly. It just gets to depressing to talk about this and I am sure that alcohol will make it a lot worse. I have spent every other free moment working on my business plan and the new web site. I really am getting old and have spent more time finding out about social media than actually coding it in. I miss the days when a phone had a cord.

Will I have a job end of this year? I don't know. Am I worried? With trying to keep everyone else out of the doldrums I haven't had much time to think about myself. I do know that I have a plan and that is what I am sticking to.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-31-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

I don't suppose emigrating is an option? My partner is an engineer here in Auckland (New Zealand). There are quite a lot of South Africans over here....engineers included. Anyway, very left field, but thought I would mention it.

Remember how those chords used to get all twisted up though? That was pretty annoying.....

:-)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about the uncertainty.

I'd think really carefully about those few beers tho Zab - it's *really* easy, no matter how incisive or self aware we think we are, to find ourselves sliding down the greasy pole again.

I understand its a hard time and there's a good deal of camaraderie to be had and commiserations made with the other guys at the bar...

but if we could dabble with booze we wouldn't need SR.

D
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
I don't suppose emigrating is an option? My partner is an engineer here in Auckland (New Zealand). There are quite a lot of South Africans over here....engineers included. Anyway, very left field, but thought I would mention it.

Remember how those chords used to get all twisted up though? That was pretty annoying.....

:-)
Hi TS,

I have a few mates in Australia (also engineers) and they all want to come back. Apparently the work situation there is also bad. I did look at immigration, but it seems as if the whole world has turned upside down.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-31-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Good to see you Boozer! All will be well.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry about the uncertainty.

I'd think really carefully about those few beers tho Zab - it's *really* easy, no matter how incisive or self aware we think we are, to find ourselves sliding down the greasy pole again.

I understand its a hard time and there's a good deal of camaraderie to be had and commiserations made with the other guys at the bar...

but if we could dabble with booze we wouldn't need SR.

D
Hi Dee,

I hear you mate. I am very aware of where I was before.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Good to see you Boozer! All will be well.
Ta Frank, we got to just keep on keeping on this side mate.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Ta Frank, we got to just keep on keeping on this side mate.
And keeping on all we shall. There are no other options, eh?

So good to see you again.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, mate! Hope things look up on the work front. How's the craft brew shaping up?

Please do have a care with those couple of beers. Slippery slope and all that....

Stay well